Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pitt is not going to play the City Game again in the upcoming (perhaps mythical) season.

Duquesne said they offered to olay in the Zoo for no guarantee, etc., and Pitt declined.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      Pitt is not going to play the City Game again in the upcoming (perhaps mythical) season.

Duquesne said they offered to olay in the Zoo for no guarantee, etc., and Pitt declined.
      Pitt would get killed and they know it!

Comment

Pitt is not going to play the City Game again in the upcoming (perhaps mythical) season.

That is rather surprising to be honest. Nobody can seem to figure that one out. Capel is bringing in a bevy of new players this year and most of them frosh---but I still think most observers this side of IUPalum would consider the Panthers the favorite to win that.

I hope Capel gets some good OOC games this year. I could do without some of them to be honest that they have scheduled in years past (meaning even pre-Capel). I'd like to see them tangle with the likes of Seton Hall, Penn State, St. Johns (where Slam Penny's twin bro plays), UConn, etc.

There have been multiple offers extended to quite a number of elite 2021 and 2022 prospects by Capel and staff in the past week or so. Some really fantastic players to be sure. C Franck Kepnang and SG Jordan Hawkins chief among them. They even offered the token white guy with an offer made to C Gabe Wiznitzer who has an uncanny resemblance to actor John Cusack when he was younger. Only this guy is a little bit taller.

-

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

That is rather surprising to be honest. Nobody can seem to figure that one out. Capel is bringing in a bevy of new players this year and most of them frosh---but I still think most observers this side of IUPalum would consider the Panthers the favorite to win that.

I hope Capel gets some good OOC games this year. I could do without some of them to be honest that they have scheduled in years past (meaning even pre-Capel). I'd like to see them tangle with the likes of Seton Hall, Penn State, St. Johns (where Slam Penny's twin bro plays), UConn, etc.

There have been multiple offers extended to quite a number of elite 2021 and 2022 prospects by Capel and staff in the past week or so. Some really fantastic players to be sure. C Franck Kepnang and SG Jordan Hawkins chief among them. They even offered the token white guy with an offer made to C Gabe Wiznitzer who has an uncanny resemblance to actor John Cusack when he was younger. Only this guy is a little bit taller.

-
          Did you see Duquesne play last year? They were young and loaded! They are legit! Capel would get a better game from them instead of playing TimBukToo Univerdity!

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

Did you see Duquesne play last year? They were young and loaded! They are legit! Capel would get a better game from them instead of playing TimBukToo Univerdity!
            In an era of schools doing everything possible to save money on non-conference games, ... consider:

* Duquesne offered to play at Pitt for no guarantee
            * Duquesne offered to play at Pitt for no share of the gate
            * Duquesne is two miles (perhaps less) from the Pitt campus
            * Pitt cannot use the RPI hit excuse. As stated, Duquesne is no longer a joke.
            * Capel and Lyke are breaking a tradition that dates back (without looking it up) at least 50-75 years.

The Pitt faithful (who all think Pitt is an elite football and basketball school) hasn't shut up in years and years about PSU no longer wanting to play Pitt. Isn't this an ironic twist.

I had Pitt season tickets in the glory days of Holland and Dixon. Even then, those XMAS games would only do 'OK' at the gate. Lately, the 'break' games there draw awful (regardless of the phony numbers Pitt announces). So, they are turning away pretty much a guaranteed sellout in December and will instead play UMES or some other jabroni.

Comment

In an era of schools doing everything possible to save money on non-conference games, ... consider:

* Duquesne offered to play at Pitt for no guarantee
              * Duquesne offered to play at Pitt for no share of the gate
              * Duquesne is two miles (perhaps less) from the Pitt campus
              * Pitt cannot use the RPI hit excuse. As stated, Duquesne is no longer a joke.
              * Capel and Lyke are breaking a tradition that dates back (without looking it up) at least 50-75 years.

The Pitt faithful (who all think Pitt is an elite football and basketball school) hasn't shut up in years and years about PSU no longer wanting to play Pitt. Isn't this an ironic twist.

I had Pitt season tickets in the glory days of Holland and Dixon. Even then, those XMAS games would only do 'OK' at the gate. Lately, the 'break' games there draw awful (regardless of the phony numbers Pitt announces). So, they are turning away pretty much a guaranteed sellout in December and will instead play UMES or some other jabroni.
              I'm certainly not disagreeing with anything that you are saying about the City Game. It is a bit of a shock and a surprise that it is not on the slate of games for this year. I'm not sure what Capel's line of thought is here. For one---while it is a cool thing for those who live in the 'burgh, but how competitive have the little Dukes been against Mighty Pitt over the years? It's very one-sided to be honest. From a competition standpoint it is not exactly a big loss.

Capel is finally getting a nice squad of ACC-types in here. While it is a charming story that Duquesne is building an okay program for whatever watered-down classification that they play in----I doubt that the little Dukes would stand much of a chance against the power that Capel is in the process of assembling. I'm sure he is thinking and planning in terms of battling Duke, FSU, UNC, and the host of ACC schools that can really bring it night after night. I'm sure the little Dukes don't make much of a blip on his radar to be honest. Okay, I have no idea what the OOC schedule looks like this year. Makes you think that he is upgrading it.

-

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

I'm certainly not disagreeing with anything that you are saying about the City Game. It is a bit of a shock and a surprise that it is not on the slate of games for this year. I'm not sure what Capel's line of thought is here. For one---while it is a cool thing for those who live in the 'burgh, but how competitive have the little Dukes been against Mighty Pitt over the years? It's very one-sided to be honest. From a competition standpoint it is not exactly a big loss.

Capel is finally getting a nice squad of ACC-types in here. While it is a charming story that Duquesne is building an okay program for whatever watered-down classification that they play in----I doubt that the little Dukes would stand much of a chance against the power that Capel is in the process of assembling. I'm sure he is thinking and planning in terms of battling Duke, FSU, UNC, and the host of ACC schools that can really bring it night after night. I'm sure the little Dukes don't make much of a blip on his radar to be honest. Okay, I have no idea what the OOC schedule looks like this year. Makes you think that he is upgrading it.

-

The Dukes have Keith Dambrot now. Whole new ballgame. I think those in Oakland know it. The mile-wide gap that used to be between the two programs is, right now, much slimmer. I don't knock the Atlantic 10 too much in basketball. Recall they had a Dayton team this year in the Top 5 -- and who could have won the last game of the season.

Pitt has offered to play them the following year. Likely the thought is most of Capel's incoming class will be more ready to play by then.

Here's my beef: Pitt will always be second-fiddle in Pittsburgh. Always. It's a Yinzer town ... black and gold ... blah blah blah. The City Game, however, gave both schools the spotlight for one night a year. Frankly, I think it's a total embarrassment not to play it.

I don't buy Capel is beefing up the non-conf. If anything, he's making it lighter. When you play that ACC schedule ... not much reason to bulk it up. You want guaranteed wins. I'm not sure, right now, the little Dukes would be a guaranteed win.

p.s. I don't really care that much ... but this is something to talk about other than Coronavirus and cancelled seasons. LOL.

Kind of ironic, however, the Dukes are yapping so much. Duquesne and Bobby Mo have turned down Joe for years.

Comment

The Dukes have Keith Dambrot now. Whole new ballgame. I think those in Oakland know it. The mile-wide gap that used to be between the two programs is, right now, much slimmer. I don't knock the Atlantic 10 too much in basketball. Recall they had a Dayton team this year in the Top 5 -- and who could have won the last game of the season.

Pitt has offered to play them the following year. Likely the thought is most of Capel's incoming class will be more ready to play by then.

Here's my beef: Pitt will always be second-fiddle in Pittsburgh. Always. It's a Yinzer town ... black and gold ... blah blah blah. The City Game, however, gave both schools the spotlight for one night a year. Frankly, I think it's a total embarrassment not to play it.

I don't buy Capel is beefing up the non-conf. If anything, he's making it lighter. When you play that ACC schedule ... not much reason to bulk it up. You want guaranteed wins. I'm not sure, right now, the little Dukes would be a guaranteed win.

p.s. I don't really care that much ... but this is something to talk about other than Coronavirus and cancelled seasons. LOL.

Kind of ironic, however, the Dukes are yapping so much. Duquesne and Bobby Mo have turned down Joe for years.
                  I really don't think that Capel fears Duquesne that much to be honest. He found pitfalls the past two seasons in the cupcake slate of the schedule by taking losses to Niagara and Nicholls State. It happens, especially with a program rebuild. Pitt rather easily dispatched the Dukes in '18. I don't consider them much of a threat to beat Pitt. But any given day...

Pretty much a non-issue for me as well to be honest.

IUPalum would have General MacLane and Mercyhurst defeating Pitt as well. LOL.

-

Comment

• There's no incentive because ticket sales are a small % of revenue and if they lose, Pitt gets more crap than Duquesne gets credit. Surprised Pitt isn't playing at Duquesne's new arena though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                      There's no incentive because ticket sales are a small % of revenue and if they lose, Pitt gets more crap than Duquesne gets credit. Surprised Pitt isn't playing at Duquesne's new arena though.

Comment

• Let us not forget that Pitt played at Robert Morris' new arena last season. Capel is a man who has taken his team to the Dean Dome, Cameron, and countless other hostile environs of big time programs. He would go to Duquesne if he wanted a lite workout day for his team.

-

Comment

• That was the handshake for RMU. UPMC delivered $45M and the opener. But you're right, after the construction shutdown I wonder about the timeline now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

That was the handshake for RMU. UPMC delivered $45M and the opener. But you're right, after the construction shutdown I wonder about the timeline now.
                            That was the key ... UPMC. Remove that factor and Pitt is never playing a road game at a lesser conference school ... even if it is 2 miles away.

Comment

• I see that Rivals released their final high school 2020 recruit rankings and Pitt's recruiting class was ranked #16 nationally and #3 in the ACC. They also had four players who were ranked in the top 150 in the final poll or throughout much of the past year. John Hugley (77), Will Jeffress (79), Femi Odukale (145), and Noah Collier was in the top 150 all season long. Max Amadasun was ranked in the top 200.

It's also within the realm of possibility that another 2021 bluechipper could still reclass and sign with Pitt. More virtual tours have been given and more offers have gone out. But my feeling is that unless a majorly fab talent wants to come aboard Capel and company may prefer to hold the extra scholie for next year.

-

Comment

• Numbers were handed out to the new players at Pitt in the last day or so---

Horton will wear 0. He had 3 last season but of course could only practice with the team after his transfer from Delaware.

Odukale got 2 which of course is Trey McGowens old numero.

Collier will wear 3.

Hugley will stay with his high school number of 23.

Jeffress, who also wore 23 in high school, will go with 24. As IUPalum mentioned about James Conner---Jeffress will now wear his old Pitt number (after his frosh season in 40).

Amadasun will keep his high school number of 35 as well.

-

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X