Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

a shame, this would have been the year for IUP to play Pitt.
    Texted several buddies that last night.

Any Top 5-8 D2 would beat them right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Texted several buddies that last night.

Any Top 5-8 D2 would beat them right now.
      It's early in the season. It didn't help that the young and new players had no chance at all to scrimmage against anyone else. This was the first time they played together and against someone in a different colored uniform. Did I hear they outboarded SFU by 10 and had more points in the paint? Sure didn't seem like it.

Xavier Johnson is the most perplexing piece of the puzzle for me regarding Pitt hoops. He was superb in his freshman season and there was even much talk of him going to the NBA. These days I doubt too many guys would be very thrilled to even have him on their rec league team. I can't make sense of him.

Trey McGowens was fantastic for the Cornhuskers yesterday and today he laid another one of his patented egg games with zero points as Nebraska took the loss to Nevada. X and Trey could promise you so much and then let you completely down so easily. It's maddening.

The Drexel game could be tough as well. And if you come out and play like garbage it will be nearly impossible to win.

Comment

• #4 Virginia just got taken down by lightweight San Francisco.

Comment

• Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

a shame, this would have been the year for IUP to play Pitt.
          IUP would've beat them!

Comment

• Here's a funny one:

Saint Francis got blown out at home today by UMBC.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

IUP would've beat them!
              But the Catch-22 for you here is that you absolutely want William Jeffress to succeed as it will be unequivocal validation of Erie hoops. Go Pitt!

Pitt a nine point winner over Drexel this afternoon. Xavier Johnson a terrific performance. 27 points on 9-13 shooting. 20 points for Toney and 19 for Slam Penny.

Terrell Brown did not play today. Thank Goodness.

Karim Coulibaly made his first career start down in the low post.

The Panthers up their record to 1-1 and did well to secure a win after the other night's debacle.

Word is that a game could be in the works for next weekend. Stay tuned for that. Pitt will be at Northwestern on Dec. 9 for the Big Ten-ACC Challenge.

Comment

Here's a funny one:

Saint Francis got blown out at home today by UMBC.
                Wasn't UMBC the school that did something significant in the NCAA tourney a few years ago? Did they beat one seed Virginia or something that gained some acclaim.

I believe IUP got some good players from there awhile back (Tom Young??).

Comment

• Word filtering down that Pitt could be adding a game for this weekend vs. Northern Illinois. One would be inclined to think that a game against local schools such as Duquense or Robert Morris would make a lot of sense.

I see St. Francis is slated for a 4PM tip this afternoon against Virginia. The game is on the ACC Network and will be re-broadcast at 10PM. One thing that you can say is that the Red Flash don't back down from playing the heavies. They have a lot of experience in doing so.

Still no word on the status of transfer G Nike Sibande. If I were Capel i would just shut him down for the year regardless and save him for 2021-22 when Pitt may be a tournament team. He's already missed a few games of a shortened season that Lord only knows how long will last due to pandemic concerns. I see this season as more of a developmental year for the Panthers with all of the young players. With the exception of Xavier and Toney---all the principal players are either sophomores or freshmen.

Comment

• Pitt has officially added Northern Illinois to their schedule. Tipoff time is set for 7PM Saturday night at the Pete. The game will not be televised, only be streamed on ACCNX. For those who remember--- Pitt played and defeated NI last December by a score of 59-50.

Virginia easily handled St. Francis today by a 76-51 count. The Red Flash PG Conover who led them with 21 points in their win over Pitt did not play.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
                      Pitt has officially added Northern Illinois to their schedule. Tipoff time is set for 7PM Saturday night at the Pete. The game will not be televised, only be streamed on ACCNX. For those who remember--- Pitt played and defeated NI last December by a score of 59-50.

Virginia easily handled St. Francis today by a 76-51 count. The Red Flash PG Conover who led them with 21 points in their win over Pitt did not play.
                      What's funny is that Pitt, Duquesne, Notre Dame, and Northern Illinois are all free on the same date and in the spirit of careful spending during a pandemic, guess which two teams are travelling. Pitt is going out of its way to avoid scheduling Duquesne.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

What's funny is that Pitt, Duquesne, Notre Dame, and Northern Illinois are all free on the same date and in the spirit of careful spending during a pandemic, guess which two teams are travelling. Pitt is going out of its way to avoid scheduling Duquesne.

The Pitt brass (the lunatics who get all the coaches fired) enjoy the 'big brother' thing over Duquesne. Most think Duquesne would whip their a$$ this year.

That is hilarious, though. Keith Dambrodt said they'd play Pitt on either campus, the arena or in a parking lot. He even said they'd go to Pitt and not require a guarantee. Pitt is out of excuses. They want a guaranteed win and that's likely Northern Illinois. Capel already took one major embarrassment this year against Saint Francis.

Now, I 'guarantee' Pitt is paying Northern Illinois a 'guarantee' to come in here on Saturday night.

Comment

• What is wrong with D1 basketball?
                          The Kentucky Kansas game was painful to watch.
                          No team offense or defense. No concept of what constitutes a good shot. Throwing up wild shots.
                          Very selfish one on one play. I could go on and on.
                          WVU has the same issues. What about Pitt?

Successful d2 teams like IUP, NW Missouri, WLU, Lincoln Memorial, etc. have a much higher level understanding of the game. Just look at their points per possession versus D1.

These are 5 star recruits? Maybe athletically but their understanding of the game is elementary school level at best.

I think Gonzaga might be an exception. Are there any other d1 teams that have a clue?
                          Last edited by Columbuseer; 12-02-2020, 10:29 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
                            What is wrong with D1 basketball?
                            The Kentucky Kansas game was painful to watch.
                            No team offense or defense. No concept of what constitutes a good shot. Throwing up wild shots.
                            Very selfish one on one play. I could go on and on.
                            WVU has the same issues. What about Pitt?

Successful d2 teams like IUP, NW Missouri, WLU, Lincoln Memorial, etc. have a much higher level understanding of the game. Just look at their points per possession versus D1.

These are 5 star recruits? Maybe athletically but their understanding of the game is elementary school level at best.

I think Gonzaga might be an exception. Are there any other d1 teams that have a clue?
                            WVU better have it figured out by tonight. They get the mighty Zags at 7 p.m.

The Blue Bloods always seem to look pretty ugly the first month of the season. Kentucky had a team on the floor last night that was in high school last May. That's why they always say you want those one-and-done teams early in the season. They don't normally start clicking until January.

Pitt just plays a glorified playground style. Which, is common in the top level of D1 (and the NBA). Jamie Dixon's teams at Pitt really hammered the tough, defensive philosophy. Capel's team looks like a trainwreck most nights. I watch Pitt a lot and have no idea what kind of offense they 'run' on a nightly basis.

I think in higher-level D1 the players are in the systems so briefly that they never develop the second-hand nature you see at WL or IUP, etc. People think the mega dunks and stuff are great at D1 but basketball is much more pure and fluid at top-level D2. I don't think it's even close.

Gone are the days of the 80s when North Carolina could keep a freshmen class on campus for four years. Those senior-based teams of that era would literally mop the floor with today's Top 25 teams.

Gonzaga is actually the great reference point. They play a D2 style -- just with superior athletes (and many more of them). They don't get one-and-dones. They get program guys who fit roles. Put them up against a team of 'me first' players ... and that's why they clobber people.

Comment

WVU better have it figured out by tonight. They get the mighty Zags at 7 p.m.

The Blue Bloods always seem to look pretty ugly the first month of the season. Kentucky had a team on the floor last night that was in high school last May. That's why they always say you want those one-and-done teams early in the season. They don't normally start clicking until January.

Pitt just plays a glorified playground style. Which, is common in the top level of D1 (and the NBA). Jamie Dixon's teams at Pitt really hammered the tough, defensive philosophy. Capel's team looks like a trainwreck most nights. I watch Pitt a lot and have no idea what kind of offense they 'run' on a nightly basis.

I think in higher-level D1 the players are in the systems so briefly that they never develop the second-hand nature you see at WL or IUP, etc. People think the mega dunks and stuff are great at D1 but basketball is much more pure and fluid at top-level D2. I don't think it's even close.

Gone are the days of the 80s when North Carolina could keep a freshmen class on campus for four years. Those senior-based teams of that era would literally mop the floor with today's Top 25 teams.

Gonzaga is actually the great reference point. They play a D2 style -- just with superior athletes (and many more of them). They don't get one-and-dones. They get program guys who fit roles. Put them up against a team of 'me first' players ... and that's why they clobber people.
                              Great analysis. I too much prefer watching good D2. Does some of the blame lie with AAU coaches? Are they neglecting to teach them team concepts? The few AAU games i have seen were more like individual showcases. No zone presses or trapping. Lots of dribble drive. No consequences for a player committing turnovers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

Great analysis. I too much prefer watching good D2. Does some of the blame lie with AAU coaches? Are they neglecting to teach them team concepts? The few AAU games i have seen were more like individual showcases. No zone presses or trapping. Lots of dribble drive. No consequences for a player committing turnovers.
                                AAU is the cesspool of basketball fundamentals. LOL. But, it's meant to be a showcase. I don't even think the players care if they win the games ... so long as they get theirs.

The D1 game should look different in a couple weeks (if they are even still playing). So far, it's been putrid to watch.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X