Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pitt's streak of national TV games with an awful game prior that WILL NOT END continues.

Comment

• H2P up 9 at half on Duke.

Champagnie going insane.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
        H2P up 9 at half on Duke.

Champagnie going insane.
        How bad is Duke that they were in a zone?

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

They never came out of it.

Long way to go.

Comment

• Champagnie 17 pts 10 rebs at half.

Comment

They never came out of it.

Long way to go.
              I only started watching once the Penguins were over. The 5 minutes I saw was nothing but zone for both teams.

Comment

• That was a really nice win for Pitt. Duke isn't Duke, per se, but think where Pitt was not long ago -- complete rock bottom.

Justin Champagnie -- who may now be the front-runner for ACC Player of the Year (and an All-America First Team) went for 31 points, 14 rebounds and several blocks in front of a national TV audience.

Au'diese Toney -- the best, toughest player nobody talks much about -- put up 22 points and 11 boards. Xavier Johnson had 9 points and 11 assists (including a clutch trey in the waning moments). He also played a superb defensive game.

Here's for those 'stars' and recruiting rankings: Champagnie was the 250th ranked recruit coming out of high school -- and just a "3-star". He'd start for thrive for any team in the country right now. He's also just 6'6" and is the best rebounder around.

John Hughley was a loss -- to some extent -- under the basket. That was a big boy to put in there in spurts. The Terrell Brown Show, for better or worse, has to step up. He was alright last night -- but still has far too many defensive lapses.

Comment

• I didn't notice during the game but Jeffress didn't play at all. Nike also only got 7 minutes.

Capel played 4 guys over 32 minutes -- Champagnie and Toney each played 39. Xavier played 36 and Horton was in for 32.

Comment

Pitt's streak of national TV games with an awful game prior that WILL NOT END continues.
                    LOL. Yeah, that was a pure puke-fest and I am not even referencing the Vols orange jerseys. How could a game with a team ahead by 25 take so long to end. Goodness.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

I think this shows how pathetically lazy Coach K and his staff are. Okay, last year the vaunted Syracuse 2-3 zone was an impenetrable wall for the Panthers. That was the established blueprint to use against Pitt. But look what Pitt did to the Orange TWICE already this season as they laughed at and shredded said zone. Coach K=dumb azz. He just assumed that it was the same old Pitt team. Plus, he needs to amend how he recruits as his young whippersnapper one and done philosophy is really beginning to fail him. A good core of upperclassmen and expereienced players can trump those youngsters.

Comment

I didn't notice during the game but Jeffress didn't play at all. Nike also only got 7 minutes.

Capel played 4 guys over 32 minutes -- Champagnie and Toney each played 39. Xavier played 36 and Horton was in for 32.
                        You are correct here. Neither young William nor Noah Collier saw action. Not sure what this was about. I know Nike did not see time against the Orange last time out as Capel did not deem him and his skills as needed for what the game situation was presenting.

Ironman hoops for the big four. That was horrible hearing Toney screaming in agony near the end when he collapsed on the court and began cramping. He put forth one hell of an effort to be sure.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

You are correct here. Neither young William nor Noah Collier saw action. Not sure what this was about. I know Nike did not see time against the Orange last time out as Capel did not deem him and his skills as needed for what the game situation was presenting.

Ironman hoops for the big four. That was horrible hearing Toney screaming in agony near the end when he collapsed on the court and began cramping. He put forth one hell of an effort to be sure.

That was painful. Those hurt like a Mo Fo.

Comment

That was a really nice win for Pitt. Duke isn't Duke, per se, but think where Pitt was not long ago -- complete rock bottom.

Justin Champagnie -- who may now be the front-runner for ACC Player of the Year (and an All-America First Team) went for 31 points, 14 rebounds and several blocks in front of a national TV audience.

Au'diese Toney -- the best, toughest player nobody talks much about -- put up 22 points and 11 boards. Xavier Johnson had 9 points and 11 assists (including a clutch trey in the waning moments). He also played a superb defensive game.

Here's for those 'stars' and recruiting rankings: Champagnie was the 250th ranked recruit coming out of high school -- and just a "3-star". He'd start for thrive for any team in the country right now. He's also just 6'6" and is the best rebounder around.

John Hughley was a loss -- to some extent -- under the basket. That was a big boy to put in there in spurts. The Terrell Brown Show, for better or worse, has to step up. He was alright last night -- but still has far too many defensive lapses.
                            That is a nice summation. Yeah, Slam Penny is incredible. 31 points, 14 boards, and five blocks. He looks to be a lock for the All-America team at this point. Toney is tough. X can bring it.

It's like you said yourself some time back IUPbigIndians-----maybe these non-blue blood programs are better off to just focus in on guys who are three-stars with the right stuff and just develop them and bring them along. It certainly is paying dividends for Pitt at the moment.

Pitt is also getting some nice production and minutes from guys like Femi and Karim Coulibaly. It really does make a difference.

I've got to tip my cap to Duke frosh Jalen Johnson! The kid was incredible and thank God he did foul out with a few minutes left. He was insane. 24 points, 15 boards, 7 assists, and 4 blocks. Good reason why he was a five-star recruit.

One thing that I have really noticed about these ACC games is how the top echelon teams like Duke and several others really get the benefit of the doubt from the officials. I saw several travels never called on Duke and they have a nasty habit of pushing the opposing players in the back. Did you notice Femi angrily slapping at a Duke player near the end of the game after getting shoved yet again? The ACC really needs to amend and rectify some of these officiating practices.

Pitt moves its record up to 8-2 and 4-1 in the ACC. Boston College is up next at Chestnut Hill at 6 PM on Saturday.

Last edited by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS; 01-20-2021, 01:14 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

I think this shows how pathetically lazy Coach K and his staff are. Okay, last year the vaunted Syracuse 2-3 zone was an impenetrable wall for the Panthers. That was the established blueprint to use against Pitt. But look what Pitt did to the Orange TWICE already this season as they laughed at and shredded said zone. Coach K=dumb azz. He just assumed that it was the same old Pitt team. Plus, he needs to amend how he recruits as his young whippersnapper one and done philosophy is really beginning to fail him. A good core of upperclassmen and expereienced players can trump those youngsters.

Duke, NC and Kentucky ... all unranked.

Kentucky is getting better but it seems their attention is already turned toward next year. Coach Cal has a big class coming in plus Oscar from WVU.

I don't know what to make of Duke. Last night was their first game all season having almost the whole roster. I suspect they will keep getting better. In reality, that game never should have been that close at the end. Pitt makes some (any) foul shots down the stretch and the Panthers likely win by double digits.

My opinion is every year there has to be "5-Star" recruits. If not, the magazines and ratings businesses (that's what they are ... businesses) wouldn't have anything to hype up. And, the year's you get a class with a Zion Williamson, etc., ... those are legit "5-Star" players. I don't know how many of the alleged "5-Star" players on Duke, NC and Kentucky this year really deserve the billing.

It's like Coach K said after the game ... that's his youngest team ever. Even at our D2 level ... you see it year after year ... 95% of freshmen in football and basketball just aren't ready to play. They aren't strong enough physically or mentally.

I wouldn't want to play Kentucky or Duke a month from now.

Obviously Capel trying to go all Joe Lombardi and play 4 guys almost the whole game won't work forever. I get he was probably going all in against Duke. Hopefully that's the case and the others aren't injured.

Comment

That was painful. Those hurt like a Mo Fo.
                                Kind of reminded me of former Chargers All-World TE Kellen Winslow in the epic in Miami playoff game back in '82. He caught like 13 passes and blocked two FGs in the Miami humidity and had to be helped from the field after the game when he could no longer even walk. One of my very favorite players ever.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X