• Show
Clear All

• Wow

A'Diese Toney leaving Pitt.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      Wow

A'Diese Toney leaving Pitt.

There is obviously something not right in that program! OR is it the entitlement factor kicking in? Hmmmm

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
        There is obviously something not right in that program! OR is it the entitlement factor kicking in? Hmmmm
        Capel's first recruiting class is now completely gone (X-man, Toney and McGowens from last year).

I pray that Capel has some real idea of what he is doing here. They now have 3-4 openings for next season in recruiting and he has a grand total of ZERO commits. I did hear that he may have a couple of '22 reclasses coming in but who knows. It would be a good time for Jalen Hood-Schfino to get here.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

Capel's first recruiting class is now completely gone (X-man, Toney and McGowens from last year).

I pray that Capel has some real idea of what he is doing here. They now have 3-4 openings for next season in recruiting and he has a grand total of ZERO commits. I did hear that he may have a couple of '22 reclasses coming in but who knows. It would be a good time for Jalen Hood-Schfino to get here.
          He may go all transfers at this point. Market is flooded.

Comment

• Curious what Mr. Champagnie does now.

If he's not going to declare for the draft .... wonder if he's considering the portal.

Xavier will get heavy interest. Toney will have every school around inquire. My guess is Toney lands at a Blue Blood.

So ... the Doghouse Duo, not seen in a month, now has to come out and play.

Your 4-star freshman is on the way to San Quinton. You lost at home to a dreadful St. Francis team.

What a year.

Comment

Curious what Mr. Champagnie does now.

If he's not going to declare for the draft .... wonder if he's considering the portal.

Xavier will get heavy interest. Toney will have every school around inquire. My guess is Toney lands at a Blue Blood.

So ... the Doghouse Duo, not seen in a month, now has to come out and play.

Your 4-star freshman is on the way to San Quinton. You lost at home to a dreadful St. Francis team.

What a year.
              Yeah, it has been tough. Plus, the coach had Covid as well. But things did get good for awhile after the St. Francis debacle with Pitt going 8-1 and 4-1 in the ACC. All downhill after that of course.

I think the only way Capel can salvage things here is to pull a white rabbit out of his magic hat with a stellar recruiting class or a bevy of quality transfers in the old Gary Edwards mold.

Comment

Yeah, it has been tough. Plus, the coach had Covid as well. But things did get good for awhile after the St. Francis debacle with Pitt going 8-1 and 4-1 in the ACC. All downhill after that of course.

I think the only way Capel can salvage things here is to pull a white rabbit out of his magic hat with a stellar recruiting class or a bevy of quality transfers in the old Gary Edwards mold.
                The stove starts to get hot next year.

Comment

The stove starts to get hot next year.
                  I think that it is warming up plenty. Hearing some different things about everything. Not sure what to believe.

-Some say the players are getting mighty sick of Capel acting like a dictator and that all the fun has been drained from the game.

-Heard that Xavier was completely uncoachable and impossible to reach. Good player to be sure but he sure could do some really stupid things as well.

-One story says that there was a triangle going on with some girl and Toney and Slam Penny. How crazy would it be if it was the same b itch who got her car stolen by Big John and ended up getting Young William and Collier in the proverbial doghouse. LOL. Geez!

-Another theory is that Capel may be close to securing some of the bumper crop of the class of 2022 in reclasses and needed the open spots. He may have figured that those two jokers took the team as far as they could and he wanted to jettison them in order to bring in better talent. Hard to say on that.

My guess is it was just a compilation of everything and things just boiled over. Sounds like the shelf life of everyone involved had reached its expiration date.

But who really knows!

Comment

• You can tell Xavier wasn't coachable.He never got one ounce better. Always in foul trouble, still can't shoot and very selfish when the ball was in his hand. Good-bye!

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
                      You can tell Xavier wasn't coachable.He never got one ounce better. Always in foul trouble, still can't shoot and very selfish when the ball was in his hand. Good-bye!
                      I think the final straw for Capel came when Xavier drained the three in the last game and ran his mouth to the opposing team's bench and drew the T. I think that was all she wrote. Capel realized that he had absolutely zero control of him and never would.

Comment

He decommitted.

Capel is learning that this is not an easy job. The move to the ACC was good for their athletics program, but it was brutal for basketball. They don't fit into that basketball footprint. They'll never finish in the Top 4 of that league. The year to do it was this one with so many teams having down years. But here you are. I've watched bits and pieces of a few games. Not a huge Capel guy. He shot for the moon too quickly. He's offering every 4 and 5 star recruit out there, but the harsh reality is that those guys just simply aren't going to come to Pitt to help him "build a winner." They want to go to a winner already.

Justin Champaigne should be the type of guy he recruits. 3 star player that's surging towards the end of high school and you really develop him over the course of his career. A team of those guys isn't going to win the ACC. But a team of those guys can help win you enough games to get into the NCAA Tournament. He's not brining in enough players that gives him that opportunity. He's spent so much time on striking out with guys who will end up picking blue-blood programs.

Comment

I think that it is warming up plenty. Hearing some different things about everything. Not sure what to believe.

-Some say the players are getting mighty sick of Capel acting like a dictator and that all the fun has been drained from the game.

-Heard that Xavier was completely uncoachable and impossible to reach. Good player to be sure but he sure could do some really stupid things as well.

-One story says that there was a triangle going on with some girl and Toney and Slam Penny. How crazy would it be if it was the same b itch who got her car stolen by Big John and ended up getting Young William and Collier in the proverbial doghouse. LOL. Geez!

-Another theory is that Capel may be close to securing some of the bumper crop of the class of 2022 in reclasses and needed the open spots. He may have figured that those two jokers took the team as far as they could and he wanted to jettison them in order to bring in better talent. Hard to say on that.

My guess is it was just a compilation of everything and things just boiled over. Sounds like the shelf life of everyone involved had reached its expiration date.

But who really knows!
                          Lol... Quit reading twitter. These "big time recruits" that we're always hearing about never sign with Capel.

Comment

• Disclaimer: don't follow Pitt or their coach
                            the turmoil there reminded me of other schools that did not assign much weight to the vetting process outside of athletic skills. How does one recruit uncouchable guys or guys with serious off court issues? Where this happened at other schools, it was often due to the pressure to win now and coaches did not have the luxury to develop them over 3 years. Just curious.

Comment

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
                              Disclaimer: don't follow Pitt or their coach
                              the turmoil there reminded me of other schools that did not assign much weight to the vetting process outside of athletic skills. How does one recruit uncouchable guys or guys with serious off court issues? Where this happened at other schools, it was often due to the pressure to win now and coaches did not have the luxury to develop them over 3 years. Just curious.
                              Good question.

Consider Xavier and McGowan -- both really good players -- were still available for Capel to sign in his first class ... and he got hired late. Maybe not a coincidence they were still available.

That said ... believe me Xavier's phone is ringing off the hook..

And, Toney, .... promise you will play for a Blue Blood next year. Not a doubt in my mind.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

He decommitted.

Capel is learning that this is not an easy job. The move to the ACC was good for their athletics program, but it was brutal for basketball. They don't fit into that basketball footprint. They'll never finish in the Top 4 of that league. The year to do it was this one with so many teams having down years. But here you are. I've watched bits and pieces of a few games. Not a huge Capel guy. He shot for the moon too quickly. He's offering every 4 and 5 star recruit out there, but the harsh reality is that those guys just simply aren't going to come to Pitt to help him "build a winner." They want to go to a winner already.

Justin Champaigne should be the type of guy he recruits. 3 star player that's surging towards the end of high school and you really develop him over the course of his career. A team of those guys isn't going to win the ACC. But a team of those guys can help win you enough games to get into the NCAA Tournament. He's not brining in enough players that gives him that opportunity. He's spent so much time on striking out with guys who will end up picking blue-blood programs.
                                Well-stated. A pretty fair assessment.

Regarding Jalen Hood-Schifino-----it is true that he did decommitt but apparently he still has very close contact with the Pitt program and it is said that they are likely in his top three schools of choices. But there is no guarantee that he comes to Pitt.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X