Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fyi
    in 1st year in d1 after leaving d2, queens beat marshall 83-82.

Comment

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
      Fyi
      in 1st year in d1 after leaving d2, queens beat marshall 83-82.
      Why are you surprised? Did you notice Bellarmine won their conference and wasn't allowed into the tourney last year b/c of dumb NCAA rules? They should've been in and probably could've won a game or two barring match ups. Bellarmine beat Louisville last night.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

Why are you surprised? Did you notice Bellarmine won their conference and wasn't allowed into the tourney last year b/c of dumb NCAA rules? They should've been in and probably could've won a game or two barring match ups. Bellarmine beat Louisville last night.
        It's the exact reason Joe can't get a game against even bottom-level P5 schools let alone those below them within the D1 level.

Freaking Robert Morris (right beside Pittsburgh) is playing West Virginia Wesleyan and Pitt-Greensburg (D3) as real games this week. No chance in heck they'd sign a deal with IUP. Pitt and Duquesne won't, either. They've even tried to schedule Saint Francis, which is literally about 30 minutes from the IUP campus. No dice.

Heck, Pitt brought in Clarion and Edinboro this year for exhibitions -- well-known as being two 'lesser' PSAC programs. Within 90 miles and two directions they could have played West Liberty, Fairmont State or IUP. Take an actual test ... nah. They wanted to beat hapless Clarion by 55 instead.

The reality is, as most of us actual fans know, the difference between D2 Top 20 programs and the vast majority of D1 isn't that much. In fact, most of the D2 Top 20 could and would probably beat the first 150 'D1' teams in the country -- the Cleveland State's of the world.

Jim Boheim, Syracuse head coach, said after his second time playing IUP that he thought IUP would be a top-tier team in the MAC. I guess he'd know better than we do. Give Joe two more full rides to play with and, yeah, he'd probably be correct most years.

Comment

• Fyi
          Illinois Springfield, 12-19 last year, defeated d1 Northern Illinois. 83-77.
          Notre Dame College, preseason 5th in MEC, beat Cleveland State by 4.

Comment

So Louisville has now been beaten by Lenoir-Rhyne and Bellarmine. It should be a fun year in the ACC for them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

So Louisville has now been beaten by Lenoir-Rhyne and Bellarmine. It should be a fun year in the ACC for them.
              That has to be such a joy for BU. They have been the little brother in the city there forever.

Comment

• Well, Pitt was totally embarrassed yet again on national television.

Word leaking is Capel's buyout is $3m -- at the end of this season. So, it appears they will ride this bum out the rest of the season.

Seven years now since Jamie Dixon left or got ran out or whatever version you want to believe.

Remember the Pitt dopes said he couldn't win the big one. Lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                  Well, Pitt was totally embarrassed yet again on national television.

Word leaking is Capel's buyout is $3m -- at the end of this season. So, it appears they will ride this bum out the rest of the season.

Seven years now since Jamie Dixon left or got ran out or whatever version you want to believe.

Remember the Pitt dopes said he couldn't win the big one. Lol.
                  Well, I have to say these Pitt teams probably would have remained middle of the pack in the old Big East. The ACC was HUGE step up for basketball.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Well, I have to say these Pitt teams probably would have remained middle of the pack in the old Big East. The ACC was HUGE step up for basketball.
                    There is a huge talent gap between Capel’s team and Jamie Dixon’s Pitt teams. It’s not even close!

Comment

There is a huge talent gap between Capel’s team and Jamie Dixon’s Pitt teams. It’s not even close!
                      Jamie's teams would have routinely hung 30 on these guys -- and physically mauled them.

Comment

The same Big East that was regularly sending 8 or 9 teams to the tournament each year? This Pitt program would be at the bottom of that conference too. The ACC is a different brand of basketball, definitely not an ideal fit for Pitt, but Pitt is where they are right now because they lost their identity as a tough, physical program. And that started at the end of Jamie’s time. He tried to adjust to ACC basketball, when he should’ve made the ACC adjust to Pitt. And now they’re nowhere. Just a bad, aimless program in a conference they don’t fit in. And I’m not sure who could fix it.

Comment

You're not wrong there - I'm just not convinced its all on Capel. To me Capel is recruiting on par with Stallings with maybe better impact players. Dixon (and Howland) knew how to recruit a full team. I could be wrong. I only get to watch on weekends. The Stallings era still befuddles me - he had a .617 win percentage in D1 before going .369 at Pitt. But there's also significant recruiting damage.

Comment

You're not wrong there - I'm just not convinced its all on Capel. To me Capel is recruiting on par with Stallings with maybe better impact players. Dixon (and Howland) knew how to recruit a full team. I could be wrong. I only get to watch on weekends. The Stallings era still befuddles me - he had a .617 win percentage in D1 before going .369 at Pitt. But there's also significant recruiting damage.
                            Stallings inherited a program that was slowly leaking from a bunch of small holes. Then, whether he intended to or not, he took a sledgehammer and knocked the whole dam down. He probably should’ve been given more of an opportunity to rebuild it, but he likely alienated too many people by that point and then the AD who hired him bailed.

Stallings was better suited for the Pitt job than Capel. He knew how to build a competitive program at a place that had disadvantages compared to its peers. Capel watched 5 stars pour in at Duke. He quickly landed Blake Griffin at Oklahoma. He swung for the fences for those types of players at Pitt and missed pretty much every time. Now they are where they are.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post

Stallings inherited a program that was slowly leaking from a bunch of small holes. Then, whether he intended to or not, he took a sledgehammer and knocked the whole dam down. He probably should’ve been given more of an opportunity to rebuild it, but he likely alienated too many people by that point and then the AD who hired him bailed.

Stallings was better suited for the Pitt job than Capel. He knew how to build a competitive program at a place that had disadvantages compared to its peers. Capel watched 5 stars pour in at Duke. He quickly landed Blake Griffin at Oklahoma. He swung for the fences for those types of players at Pitt and missed pretty much every time. Now they are where they are.
                              Watch Stallings intro press conference. It was the most awkward thing. Ever.

The Pitt power brass was furious they hired him. He was made a pariah before his first practice.

Comment

• Kentucky vs Gonzaga tonight

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X