Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

I think Penn State put to rest any contention that they weren't a legit tourney team. That's probably one of the best shooting exhibitions I've seen in the NCAAs in a long time. Texas will be a problem for them as the Longhorns have good length.
    The thing is, everybody was saying they were going to be simply outclassed by A&M. And now everybody is still going to say they are going to be outclassed by Texas.

Beyond the shooting, they do have an offensive option in the lane when Pickett backs down defenders, and it's also where he kicks it out to create open 3s. Also, they aren't totally devoid of inside presence like they were in December. Njie and Mahaffey have both shown signs of growing into their roles.

The Nits' shooting will elude them at some point over the next week or two. It may not be tomorrow. And if it's not, they should beat Texas.

P.S. I guess Pitt deserved to be in the tournament now, too.

Comment

• Fairleigh Dickinson was 4-22 last season. They can their coach.

They bring in St Thomas Aquinas head coach from the D2 ranks. He brings in three D2 transfers. He wins their conference and makes the NCAA tournament in year one. They average 6'3" in height. They run and jump and make a slow Big Ten team play faster than they want. FDU beats a #1 seed tonight and improves to 21-15 in season one with that D2 head coach and three D2 transfers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post

Ugh. I may have also had Texas A & M in the Final Four but I don’t wanna talk about it.
        Well, karma just bit me in the keister for taunting you, Chuck. I had Purdue winning it all. [facepalm]

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post

Well, karma just bit me in the keister for taunting you, Chuck. I had Purdue winning it all. [facepalm]
          Purdue is accumulating quite a string of losses to lower-seeded teams over the past few years. I don't know what Painter does to prepare them for the NCAAs, but clearly it doesn't work. When you can't get a coordinated 7-4 center a shot in the final nine minutes of a game, you need to find another plan.

Comment

• Originally posted by JDonAB92 View Post
            Fairleigh Dickinson was 4-22 last season. They can their coach.

They bring in St Thomas Aquinas head coach from the D2 ranks. He brings in three D2 transfers. He wins their conference and makes the NCAA tournament in year one. They average 6'3" in height. They run and jump and make a slow Big Ten team play faster than they want. FDU beats a #1 seed tonight and improves to 21-15 in season one with that D2 head coach and three D2 transfers.
            Actually they didn’t win the MEC tournament. Merrimack beat them, but they are still in the transitional period and ineligible for the tournament so FDU got the bid.

This tournament is freaking ridiculous.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post

A lot of people seem to think Arkansas can beat Kansas. If that happens, my entire Final Four is gone. On day 3 of the tournament.

Comment

• Penn State is looking to spend to kerp their current coach in Happy Valley. Thry might finally wake up the sleeping Giant in basketball.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
                  Penn State is looking to spend to kerp their current coach in Happy Valley. Thry might finally wake up the sleeping Giant in basketball.
                  Sleeping is one word for it. Basketball has long been the stepchild there — not many major universities where wrestling can outdraw basketball in the main arena. Some have speculated about the Georgetown job, but with the current state of that program I think it would be a lateral move at best for Shrewsberry. I'd be more worried about losing him to Notre Dame or another midwestern program as he has some coaching roots there. Hey, a couple more lousy jobs by Painter in the NCAA tourney and the Purdue job might come open.

Comment

• I'm not a Pitt guy, but if I were and someone told me at the beginning of the season that Pitt would make it to the second round of the tournament, I'd take it in a heartbeat. Especially after the last several years. Hopefully they can build on something.

Conversely, MM was tooting his horn over the weekend saying that Duquesne should drop football to focus on basketball like Xavier and Marquette.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                      I'm not a Pitt guy, but if I were and someone told me at the beginning of the season that Pitt would make it to the second round of the tournament, I'd take it in a heartbeat. Especially after the last several years. Hopefully they can build on something.

Conversely, MM was tooting his horn over the weekend saying that Duquesne should drop football to focus on basketball like Xavier and Marquette.
                      It was nice to have Pitt back, they had a solid year considering what was expected. I’d hoped they would have been a little more competitive yesterday but Xavier just put on a clinic offensively in the first half. I’m not a Penn State guy, but it was fun to watch their run as well. I was rooting hard for them Saturday to keep hope alive of a Pitt-Penn State Sweet 16.

Comment

• St Francis College (the one in Brooklyn) announced its cutting ALL sports programs at the end of this semester. That should trigger the NEC to frantically look for a new member and someone from the NE-10 to offer themselves as tribute.

Comment

St Francis College (the one in Brooklyn) announced its cutting ALL sports programs at the end of this semester. That should trigger the NEC to frantically look for a new member and someone from the NE-10 to offer themselves as tribute.
                          There's been talk of New Haven making the jump for years. Perhaps this is the opportunity.

Comment

St Francis College (the one in Brooklyn) announced its cutting ALL sports programs at the end of this semester. That should trigger the NEC to frantically look for a new member and someone from the NE-10 to offer themselves as tribute.
                            Pretty soon the 6th or 7th best team in the NEC will be heading to the big dance because everyone else will be in their transitional period.

And they’ll beat Purdue too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post

It was nice to have Pitt back, they had a solid year considering what was expected. I’d hoped they would have been a little more competitive yesterday but Xavier just put on a clinic offensively in the first half. I’m not a Penn State guy, but it was fun to watch their run as well. I was rooting hard for them Saturday to keep hope alive of a Pitt-Penn State Sweet 16.
                              Hopefully the big boys stick around -- the Diaz-Graham twins and Federiko. They all need to bulk up some this off-season but showed great upside. Pair them with Blake Hinson next year and Pitt should be really solid underneath (with three 7-footers and the dynamic Hinson).

I would hope Dior Johnson sticks around being that Pitt really went to bat for him after his legal issues. He will be a big boost at the guard position after taking a (forced) redshirt this year. William Jeffress will also return after taking a medical redshirt this season.

They are taking some heavy losses -- particularly at guard. I'd assume Capel will keep working the Portal for guards -- of which there are hundreds looking for a new home.

I did see Hughley recently entered the portal after missing almost all of this season. He may have seen the writing on the wall with Hinson's emergence. That said, he's already been contacted by a slew of major P5 programs (WVU, Michigan, etc.).

Capel was walking the plank in early November. He certainly bought himself some more time.

Comment

• This is what’s left on one side of the bracket right now

San Diego State
                                Creighton
                                Princeton
                                Florida Atlantic
                                Kansas State

One of these teams will be playing for all the marbles a week from Monday. Wild.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X