X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Columbuseer
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
    I'll say this much, nobody knows what the long term effects of this virus can have on your body. Nobody knows if this vaccine works. Nobody knows the side effects of this vaccine. To many unknowns right now. I pray for that kid from Florida, my brother is struggling with it right now and many others. The fact that half this country thinks it's a hoax and selfishly does what they want when they want says a lot about this country and it's leadership. Other countries shut it down and now are in the clear. The US never even came close to fully doing that and now look at us. It's a damn shame.
    Regret the long response, but a lot of ground was covered in your post.

1. Re: The safety of vaccine: Many brilliant scientists developed the vaccine and others have independently reviewed the findings. I think 30,000 volunteers were in the study. The virus is dead and the technique that was newly developed has great promise for other diseases.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/08/h...ne-pfizer.html

2. Re: Side effects of vaccine: It appears to be no worse than getting the advanced two dose shingles shot.
    https://www.fda.gov/emergency-prepar...vid-19-vaccine

Compare these vaccine side effects with the long-term effects of getting COVID19 without the vaccine:
    https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...t%20arrhythmia.

3. "half of the country think it is a hoax"..
    Your statement on the percentage may be true and is the root cause for the spike IMHO. Technically, this is not logical reasoning, but a statement of belief without supporting evidence.
    This is a type of fallacious reasoning called "appeal to belief"
    https://bigthink.com/experts-corner/...belief-fallacy

Europe and many other countries are experiencing a surge too.
    Just a few exceptions. Such as Taiwan and South Korea.

South Korea has sophisticated contact tracing and 14 day quarantines on everyone entering country at visitor's expense. That is the structural impediment to USA containing the virus IMHO. Our contact tracing is terrible.

5. Re: Selfishness...- Unlike Taiwan and South Korea, I agree many in USA are selfish humanists who live only for themselves and not for others. In USA individuals don't want a supreme leader to infringe on their freedom (other than the nanny state advocates). I totally support that philosophy.

If people irrationally choose to not take the vaccine, then the insurance risk should not be shared by the rest of us. Let them have the responsibility to pay out of pocket for their hospitalization for their freedom of choice(30 days in ICU is $1M).

6. Re: Shutting down the country- IMHO It is not an option:

Here is why we cannot shut down the country again. You will never hear this mentioned by the media or by either party.
    Basically, the USA is broke. Santa Claus has left the building.

We are like a good time Charlie who appears to be wealthy but who has a rapidly increasing, out-of-control unpaid credit card balance that is going for food and rent.

each taxpayer`s share is $965K each.

We are the largest debtor nation and our debt-to-GDP ratio is approaching that of Greece when it collapsed. 44% of workers are paying zero taxes and 65% are not college grads. Yet we increase the number of unskilled, uneducated workers, while at the same time AI and robotics are on the verge of wiping out millions of unskilled jobs (truck drivers, restaurants, cleaning services, etc.) and swamp politicians have outsourced millions of middle class jobs (Annual trade deficit is $105B with Mexico and $300B to China).

Only zero interest rates are delaying the day of reckoning.

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied
    I'll say this much, nobody knows what the long term effects of this virus can have on your body. Nobody knows if this vaccine works. Nobody knows the side effects of this vaccine. To many unknowns right now. I pray for that kid from Florida, my brother is struggling with it right now and many others. The fact that half this country thinks it's a hoax and selfishly does what they want when they want says a lot about this country and it's leadership. Other countries shut it down and now are in the clear. The US never even came close to fully doing that and now look at us. It's a damn shame.
    Well said!

I was just listening to some of the talking heads on the tube this morning and they are all wondering if Johnson is a victim of the virus or does he simply have an undetected heart condition? But you are correct---there is so much that is just not known about this awful thing.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Not to further digress, but a member of my family had it in early November. Recovered, feels good for the most part, but he has two symptoms yet to go away: trouble breathing when he's working out and a "mechanical issue" in the groin. He's 37.
    and my brother is 39

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Not to further digress, but a member of my family had it in early November. Recovered, feels good for the most part, but he has two symptoms yet to go away: trouble breathing when he's working out and a "mechanical issue" in the groin. He's 37.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied
    -Slam Penny has been named ACC Player of the Week for his dual 20/20 games.

-Very sad situation with the Florida player named Johnson collapsing during his game on Saturday. He apparently is in critical but stable condition while in a medical induced coma. Apparently he tested positive for Covid earlier in the year. Is this an example of what the ailment can do to your heart? Or is this just another sad case of Hank Gathers and Reggie Lewis with players who have a natural heart defect? Hopefully he will be okay.

-A side note to the story of the player collapsing is that Pitt's Au'diese Toney is close friends with him and heard about it before taking the court. It is said that is what caused him to not be himself for the game. Certainly very understandable.

-Looks like Miami of Florida has a whole host of players on the injury list as they near their game with Pitt on Wednesday evening (6 PM tip). Star PG Chris Lykes is said to be very questionable and hyped recruit Earl Timberlake is out once more for the Canes.

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

X had two fouls yesterday during the National Anthem.

What bailed them out was that visiting team couldn't buy a freaking bucket for 12 minutes. It wasn't some stellar Pitt D, either.

Mr. Champagne is a monster. Sounds like each team will get a big boost on Wednesday in regard to getting an import eligible. Miami has a stud in waiting. Nike should really help Pitt's guard rotation and spread the floor. He's a legit shooter.
    That's what they said about guys like Drumgoole, Murphy, and Horton. But the thing is that this here is the ACC, son! Shootin' ain't easy against them defenses. Hell, Drummy and Horton could barely shoot against non-conference foes (okay, one good game for Horton). Nike has to prove that he can make the jump up to the ACC from where he played at Miami of Ohio. It will be a different beast.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

So is everybody else. Draft an all-Euro team. See what happens.
    Cobo Diaz available... hahahahaha

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Hahahaha... yeah, about that! Good chance I autodraft that because I'm clueless.
    So is everybody else. Draft an all-Euro team. See what happens.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

You need to be focusing on your NBA Draft in 72 hours.
    Hahahaha... yeah, about that! Good chance I autodraft that because I'm clueless.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Horrendous!!! I just don't understand Capel's rotation.
    You need to be focusing on your NBA Draft in 72 hours.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

Capel seemed rather peeved by Xavier's early foul after his foul trouble at Northwestern and inserted Odukale. Odukale got some heavy minutes and did show some ability. Nice to have someone able to spell X this year. Save some of the wear and tear.

I think the rotations were much better than the first game. But he needs to see exactly what he has with these guys. Just having some depth could go a long ways this year in conference play.
    X had two fouls yesterday during the National Anthem.

What bailed them out was that visiting team couldn't buy a freaking bucket for 12 minutes. It wasn't some stellar Pitt D, either.

Mr. Champagne is a monster. Sounds like each team will get a big boost on Wednesday in regard to getting an import eligible. Miami has a stud in waiting. Nike should really help Pitt's guard rotation and spread the floor. He's a legit shooter.

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied

Capel seemed rather peeved by Xavier's early foul after his foul trouble at Northwestern and inserted Odukale. Odukale got some heavy minutes and did show some ability. Nice to have someone able to spell X this year. Save some of the wear and tear.

I think the rotations were much better than the first game. But he needs to see exactly what he has with these guys. Just having some depth could go a long ways this year in conference play.

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied
    Pitt up 14-0 with 8 mins left first half.

This is a basketball score, BTW.
    I was cheering for the shutout at that point. That would make history. Pitt now 4-1 heading into the vortex of ACC play.

24 points and 21 boards for Slam Penny. Back to back games with a 20-20.

Looks like an NCAA waiver could happen by Wednesday for all transfers. Nike Sibande would be able to play.

Next game is Wednesday at Miami. 6 PM tip. ACC Network.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    Pitt up 14-0 with 8 mins left first half.

This is a basketball score, BTW.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X