Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Golden89 View Post

Why does the CIAA think that it's good for its teams to have a two-week break between the conference tournament an the first round of the NCAA regionals? Never could figure this one out.
    Their tournament is treated as a massive social event. The games are just part of it. I guess they need travel time.

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

Curious what Ships record is against ranked teams? If memory serves me, that is one of the selection criteria. Wonder how they stack up against fellow 6-loss Fairmont and the 7-loss teams? WV State is 2-3 (W's over WLU and Fairmont) vs ranked teams and Fairmont is 4-3 (W's over Ship and UC and two W's over WV State).
      History has not always been kind in the 'human factor' aspect, either, for late-seaon falters. Ship's back-to-back losses haven't exactly been to good teams (one .500 and one bad team).

Comment

• Originally posted by Golden89 View Post

Why does the CIAA think that it's good for its teams to have a two-week break between the conference tournament an the first round of the NCAA regionals? Never could figure this one out.
        Probably so they can have their tournament stand out on the schedule compared to other conference tournaments.
        Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Their tournament is treated as a massive social event. The games are just part of it. I guess they need travel time.

Comment

• This is also the last year in Charlotte (for now). I beleive it is moving to Baltimore next year.

Make no mistake ... this is a real big CIAA Tournament for many teams in this region.

I'd probably bet real money that the CIAA gets at least two teams in the NCAAs.

Comment

History has not always been kind in the 'human factor' aspect, either, for late-seaon falters. Ship's back-to-back losses haven't exactly been to good teams (one .500 and one bad team).
              I remember some years ago discussion about "why" the Selection Committee had seeded a particular team higher than another. As I recall the lower seeded team actually had a better W/L record by one game. The message board experts said it came down to the Head to Head results and that the NCAA would never put a team that had lost a HtoH ahead of the team that beat them even if they had a better record.

Comment

I remember some years ago discussion about "why" the Selection Committee had seeded a particular team higher than another. As I recall the lower seeded team actually had a better W/L record by one game. The message board experts said it came down to the Head to Head results and that the NCAA would never put a team that had lost a HtoH ahead of the team that beat them even if they had a better record.
                Do you have names so the rest of us can remember it?

Comment

Curious what Ships record is against ranked teams? If memory serves me, that is one of the selection criteria. Wonder how they stack up against fellow 6-loss Fairmont and the 7-loss teams? WV State is 2-3 (W's over WLU and Fairmont) vs ranked teams and Fairmont is 4-3 (W's over Ship and UC and two W's over WV State).
                  Don't know about ranked teams. Ship is 6-4 against the teams in IUPbigINDIANS shaded box. (Beat IUP, lost to Fairmont and UPJ, lost to Virginia State, 2-0 vs. West Chester, beat California, 1-1 vs. East Stroud, beat Virginia Union.

Comment

Do you have names so the rest of us can remember it?
                    Nah...If I had remember I would have posted it. It was about 8 or so years ago and didn't directly involve WLU so I don't recall the teams involved. I do recall the converse argument with the seeding (and hosting) for the 2017 Atlantic Regionals. WLU held the HtoH over Fairmont 2-1 including the last two games and were coming off the MEC tourney title during which they beat Fairmont in the finals. In that case the NCAA chose to overlook HtoH results and seed Fairmont #1 and drop WLU to #3 were they had the opportunity to play WJU for the 4th time that year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Don't know about ranked teams. Ship is 6-4 against the teams in IUPbigINDIANS shaded box. (Beat IUP, lost to Fairmont and UPJ, lost to Virginia State, 2-0 vs. West Chester, beat California, 1-1 vs. East Stroud, beat Virginia Union.

I believe Ship is 2-3 with wins over Bowie and IUP and losses to UPJ, Fairmont and VA State.

Comment

I believe Ship is 2-3 with wins over Bowie and IUP and losses to UPJ, Fairmont and VA State.
                        As my post indicated, I was referring to the teams indicated by IUPbigIndians as having a shot at making the tourney. Bowie was not in that list.

Comment

Nah...If I had remember I would have posted it. It was about 8 or so years ago and didn't directly involve WLU so I don't recall the teams involved. I do recall the converse argument with the seeding (and hosting) for the 2017 Atlantic Regionals. WLU held the HtoH over Fairmont 2-1 including the last two games and were coming off the MEC tourney title during which they beat Fairmont in the finals. In that case the NCAA chose to overlook HtoH results and seed Fairmont #1 and drop WLU to #3 were they had the opportunity to play WJU for the 4th time that year.
                          The infamous buzzer-beater called off .... I remember the game.

Side note: Just prior to that, Wheeling Jesuit's Preston Boswell banked in a trey from the mid-corner. Incredibly odd ending.

Comment

The infamous buzzer-beater called off .... I remember the game.

Side note: Just prior to that, Wheeling Jesuit's Preston Boswell banked in a trey from the mid-corner. Incredibly odd ending.
                            I'm sure we disagree on weather the Grossenbacher shot was before the clock ticked to 00:00 but the video is there for all to see!!

That certainly was an odd season. Sure seemed like the NCAA engineered the first round WLU v WJU game first by ignoring WLU's 2-1 HtoH advantage over Fairmont, then by dropping WLU down to #3 were they played #6 WJU for the 4th time in the first round! That season, WJU was WLU's toughest opponent having taken the Toppers to OT twice including their season ending 3OT victory over WLU. That year, if you wanted to pick a team that was most capable of beating WLU, WJU was that team...and that is what the NCAA did.

NCAA clearly wanted a change in the Atlantic as WLU was the dominent team having won 5 of 6 Regional titles leading up to that year.
                            Last edited by boatcapt; 02-25-2020, 10:46 AM.

Comment

• Y'all might be interested in this chart I made of Atlantic Regional appearances back through 1994. In each year, teams are listed in order of seed.

Comment

• Wow, Inkblot, this is fantastic! I'm gonna have to spend some time looking this over.

But at a quick glance, my first thought was: "Ah yes, I remember when Salem had brief stranglehold on the region." They were utterly brutal to play in that period starting around 1997.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X