• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    This week's MEN's NABC Top 25 is out.

1. Nova Southeastern

5. IUP
    18. West Chester
    22. West Liberty

Comment: Not sure how Shippensburg isn't ranked let alone not receiving any votes.
    Not in the region, but since you mentioned Nova SE, did anyone see the tweet of the cheap shot one of their players took the other day?

Comment

Originally posted by Golden89 View Post

Not in the region, but since you mentioned Nova SE, did anyone see the tweet of the cheap shot one of their players took the other day?
      That was against Nick Smith (from Pittsburgh). They suspended that goon from St. Leo's the rest of the season.

He should be arrested for assault. For real.

Comment

That was against Nick Smith (from Pittsburgh). They suspended that goon from St. Leo's the rest of the season.

He should be arrested for assault. For real.
        Story I read said he was suspended for the rest of 2019 . . . which is only two games. He's reinstated in 2020--back for January/February/March games.

Comment

This week's MEN's NABC Top 25 is out.

1. Nova Southeastern

5. IUP
          18. West Chester
          22. West Liberty

Comment: Not sure how Shippensburg isn't ranked let alone not receiving any votes.
          Yeah, you would think four straight 20-some win seasons and a trip to the final 16 a couple of years back would be good for at least a couple of votes, but it is what it is. But heck, if we drop a couple of games this month, which is very possible given the schedule, we wouldn't be in anyway. If Ship keeps winning, it takes care of itself.

Comment

Updated look around the (Men's) Atlantic:

Undefeated Conference Overall League Streak UP Next
            Fayetteville State CIAA 9-0 2-0 W9 @ Virginia Union
            West Chester PSAC 9-0 3-0 W9 California
            IUP PSAC 7-0 3-0 W7 Bethany College
            1 Loss
            Shippensburg PSAC 7-1 3-0 W6 @ Fairmont State
            Fairmont State MEC 7-1 4-1 W5 Glenville State
            2 Losses
            Johnson C. Smith CIAA 5-2 1-1 L1 @ Bowie State
            Pitt-Johnstown PSAC 8-2 2-1 L1 @ Shippensburg
            Mercyhurst PSAC 4-2 2-1 L1 Le Moyne
            Glenville State MEC 6-2 3-1 W2 Frostburg State
            West Liberty MEC 6-2 3-1 W1 @ Charleston
            Wheeling MEC 6-2 3-1 W1 @ West Virginia State
            Charleston MEC 6-2 2-2 W1 West Liberty
            West Virginia State MEC 5-2 2-2 L1 Wheeling

Comment

Originally posted by Scrub View Post

Story I read said he was suspended for the rest of 2019 . . . which is only two games. He's reinstated in 2020--back for January/February/March games.
              That's amazing. That should be automatic season suspension.

What's amazing is he did it right in front of the ref and he didn't blow the whistle.

Did St. Crutch have any comments in the media?

Comment

Here's the article from the Miami Herald: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/a...238243284.html

Included is a discussion of a pretty astounding tweet from the St. Leo president. Crutch's response is generally clipped and measured (on brand for him).

Comment

That's amazing. That should be automatic season suspension.

What's amazing is he did it right in front of the ref and he didn't blow the whistle.

Did St. Crutch have any comments in the media?
                  Now, that was a SCREEN.

That "rest of 2019" business is amazingly back-handed. Couldn't actually say "two-game suspension" and not get pilloried, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Yeah, you would think four straight 20-some win seasons and a trip to the final 16 a couple of years back would be good for at least a couple of votes, but it is what it is. But heck, if we drop a couple of games this month, which is very possible given the schedule, we wouldn't be in anyway. If Ship keeps winning, it takes care of itself.
                    Looks like Ship can just go ahead and pencil themselves into that #22 spot for next week. Hilltoppers won't be needing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrub View Post

Looks like Ship can just go ahead and pencil themselves into that #22 spot for next week. Hilltoppers won't be needing it.
                      Well, next week for Ship brings Fairmont away, Pitt-Johnstown and IUP at home. Don't think I'll be planning on a spot just yet.

Comment

Well, next week for Ship brings Fairmont away, Pitt-Johnstown and IUP at home. Don't think I'll be planning on a spot just yet.
                        But if they DO get through that cement-mixer of a week, they should rightfully make a dramatic leap.

Comment

Originally posted by jrshooter View Post

But if they DO get through that cement-mixer of a week, they should rightfully make a dramatic leap.
                          I'm not sold on Fairmont State, however, their record is their record. Ship should be able to really pound them inside. IUP will present a tough match-up and should be a great game (as the last several have been in the series).

UPJ, despite all the hype, has some issues. It appears star senior guard Josh Wise is either in the doghouse or has been demoted. His minutes and production are both way down. The last few games he's been just a bit player. UPJ getting its doors blown off at Bloom is hard to fathom but it happened -- and certainly wasn't a good look. However, that program for whatever reason traditionally isn't a good road team. I think it's certainly possible Rukavina is dealing with a team who may have read too many press clippings over the summer. He called Wise 'The best guard in the conference' in a preseason article. That was a big statement to make considering Armoni Foster, Malik Miller, Biss, etc.

If I had to guess what is going on at UPJ, it would be Wise is struggling dealing with not being the 'star' as they have many mouths to feed in that rotation. His biggest weakness in the three years I've watched him is his temper/attitude. A boisterous crowd can rattle him right out of a game. He's lost games at IUP where he's more worried about jawing back and forth with Row 1 and 2 than what's happening on the floor. I still think UPJ, if healthy, is going to be really good when it's all said and done. But, they have a long way to go. The talent is all there. But, to take that next perceived step everybody thought was coming this year, they have to be able to play away from Johnstown.

Comment

Originally posted by jrshooter View Post

That's certainly true.

Comment

That's certainly true.
                              If Ship goes 3-0 they'll be in the Top 5-10 in the following poll. I think it's certainly possible as you get two of them at home, but it will obviously be difficult. IUP/UPJ is a very difficult back-to-back. ESU had to do it earlier and got walloped in both games. Granted, I think Ship is a much better team than ESU.

Virginia State is still (barely) above .500 so that loss isn't going to hurt too, too bad as of now. If they go under .500 and being you lost at home it will have more of a negative on the metrics. That said, I think they'll eventually get hot and make a big run. They have too much talent to remain near .500.

Comment

I'm not sold on Fairmont State, however, their record is their record. Ship should be able to really pound them inside. IUP will present a tough match-up and should be a great game (as the last several have been in the series).

UPJ, despite all the hype, has some issues. It appears star senior guard Josh Wise is either in the doghouse or has been demoted. His minutes and production are both way down. The last few games he's been just a bit player. UPJ getting its doors blown off at Bloom is hard to fathom but it happened -- and certainly wasn't a good look. However, that program for whatever reason traditionally isn't a good road team. I think it's certainly possible Rukavina is dealing with a team who may have read too many press clippings over the summer. He called Wise 'The best guard in the conference' in a preseason article. That was a big statement to make considering Armoni Foster, Malik Miller, Biss, etc.

If I had to guess what is going on at UPJ, it would be Wise is struggling dealing with not being the 'star' as they have many mouths to feed in that rotation. His biggest weakness in the three years I've watched him is his temper/attitude. A boisterous crowd can rattle him right out of a game. He's lost games at IUP where he's more worried about jawing back and forth with Row 1 and 2 than what's happening on the floor. I still think UPJ, if healthy, is going to be really good when it's all said and done. But, they have a long way to go. The talent is all there. But, to take that next perceived step everybody thought was coming this year, they have to be able to play away from Johnstown.
                                I've long since given up predicting what will happen in Division II basketball. Over the past few years, I've seen Ship win games I didn't expect them to win by margins that surprised me, and then drop games I expected them to have a better than even chance to win. Most Division II teams don't have a slew of 6-8 or 6-9 guys who can take over games. If they're that big and that good, they're generally playing Division I. Ship found one in Sleva, which is why he had so much success over three seasons. Small-college games are often dominated from the guard slots, and that usually comes down to shooting or, in some cases, exceptional defense. Ship will probably have to hit more from beyond the three-point line than they've averaged this season to beat Indiana. In the couple of games they've been hitting this season they've blown people out. In their lone loss against Virginia State they couldn't hit anything and wasted a good defensive effort.

I can honestly say I wouldn't be terribly surprised if Ship won all three games next week or lost all three (although I don't expect that). It's a funny time of year with finals, the holidays, and long periods of no games followed by some of the PSAC back-to-back scheduling across divisions. Add to that small crowds as the students are often at home. Even though The Rock and Edinboro don't look like powers in your division, I was very glad to see Ship return from that trip with two wins. They've picked up a lot of L's on those back-to-back trips west over the years. I'm hoping Fairmont is as you say, but playing one of those West Virginia schools at their place is usually not easy. The Shepherd games will be brutal for Ship. They actually beat us with a subpar team last year. If the UPJ guard has head problems, all the better. It certainly should be an interesting week of BB and something of a progress report on where Ship stands currently.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X