Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

True. While I don't think a road loss at ESU is necessarily a horrible loss, the fact that Stroudsburg is 4-4 in the league so far would not help. The Virginia State loss has hurt as VSU hasn't had the type of season so far that most expected. Fairmont and UPJ, while not ranked, are both good teams with good records.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

I would agree that given the last few years and their wins over IUP and West Chester they should be at minimum receiving votes. However, like anything else at this level, the people voting don't really have a clue. It's all about perception. They see three losses and immediately gather that they are worse than a team with two losses. I try not to worry about these polls anymore. I remember a couple years back IUP was as high as 2 or 3 in the country prior to losing to an unranked Mercyhurst team (that was pretty good). They fell like 12-13 spots in the middle of the season. The same week Bellarmine lost to an unranked team and they dropped 3 or 4 spots. It's name recognition at that point, and I would IUP has a fairly decent reputation on the national landscape of things.
      All true. In fairness, it's very hard to rank dozens of teams nationwide, most of whom you don't see play. That's why I have a big problem with high school rankings such as USA Today. Out of literally thousands of teams, you really know these are the top 15-20? Not likely. As you say, perception is all. At least in Division II BB you have a chance of getting into the region with a good record and playing your way to the top.

Comment

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

All true. In fairness, it's very hard to rank dozens of teams nationwide, most of whom you don't see play. That's why I have a big problem with high school rankings such as USA Today. Out of literally thousands of teams, you really know these are the top 15-20? Not likely. As you say, perception is all. At least in Division II BB you have a chance of getting into the region with a good record and playing your way to the top.
        It's like MaxPreps ranking Pennsylvania's high school basketball teams. Gettysburg, playing as a Class 5A out of the York-Adams League, is 9-0 and up to fourth among all state teams. That's ridiculous, given the level of competition they play compared to the 6A powers.

Comment

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

It's why the D2 polls literally don't mean a thing. Window dressing. They are for schools to Tweet about and fans to yap about. The official regional rankings are all that count. You just have to be one of the final 8 teams left in the region ... then everybody is 0-0 again.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

It's why the D2 polls literally don't mean a thing. Window dressing. They are for schools to Tweet about and fans to yap about. The official regional rankings are all that count. You just have to be one of the final 8 teams left in the region ... then everybody is 0-0 again.
            Absolutely. Division II national polls are a meaningless beauty contest. Regional rankings mean everything- from qualifying for the NCAAs to hosting the regionals.

speaking of which - does anyone publish the KPIs anymore?

Comment

West Liberty scored 83 points against Glenville State in the first half.

Serious question: How f-ing stupid can the GSU coach actually be?

Comment

Notre Dame upsets Fairmont State, 85-83.

Comment

UPDATED MEN'S ATLANTIC REGION CONTENDERS

West Chester (8-1, 14-1)
                  IUP (8-1, 13-1)

Pitt-Johnstown (8-1, 14-2)
                  Charleston (6-2, 12-2)

Shippensburg (8-1, 12-3)
                  West Liberty (6-2, 11-3)
                  Fayetteville State (5-3, 14-3)
                  Fairmont State (5-3, 10-3)
                  West Virginia State (5-3, 10-3)

Four Losses: Wheeling

Five Losses: California, Mercyhurst, Virginia State,

Comment

Women's Atlantic Region Contenders

Bowie State (4-1, 14-1)
                    IUP (9-0, 14-1)
                    Notre Dame (7-1, 13-1)
                    Virginia Union (4-0, 12-1)

Seton Hill (7-2, 12-2)
                    Charleston (7-1, 12-2)

California (6-3, 12-3)
                    Lincoln (4-1, 15-3)

Four Losses: Gannon, Glenville State, Concord

Five Losses: East Stroudsburg, Urbana,

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                      West Liberty scored 83 points against Glenville State in the first half.

Serious question: How f-ing stupid can the GSU coach actually be?
                      Glenville always seems to want to run with WLU, and the results speak for themselves. Last year, WLU put up a conference record 154 on GSC when they tried to run with them. You're right--it seems like a coaching problem when someone thinks they can run with the Toppers. Charleston is a great example of the opposite. Charleston doesn't mind playing fast and scoring the ball, but they get mighty deliberate with each possession when they play the Toppers . . . and it works. GSC stupidly continues to try to outrun the Toppers and they continue to get embarrassed doing it. Notice how the second half tally was only 46-38 WLU--a more respectable spread. But that's because GSC slowed down in the second half. Too little too late.

Had to be excruciating for Brandon Smith--former Crutchfield player who now coaches with GSC. But, honestly, why the heck isn't Brandon begging his head man not to try to run with the Toppers? Brandon was a part of some of those epic GSC beatdowns as a result of their attempt to run with WLU. I'd like to think Brandon appropriately warned the head coach who simply big-timed him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post

Glenville always seems to want to run with WLU, and the results speak for themselves. Last year, WLU put up a conference record 154 on GSC when they tried to run with them. You're right--it seems like a coaching problem when someone thinks they can run with the Toppers. Charleston is a great example of the opposite. Charleston doesn't mind playing fast and scoring the ball, but they get mighty deliberate with each possession when they play the Toppers . . . and it works. GSC stupidly continues to try to outrun the Toppers and they continue to get embarrassed doing it. Notice how the second half tally was only 46-38 WLU--a more respectable spread. But that's because GSC slowed down in the second half. Too little too late.

Had to be excruciating for Brandon Smith--former Crutchfield player who now coaches with GSC. But, honestly, why the heck isn't Brandon begging his head man not to try to run with the Toppers? Brandon was a part of some of those epic GSC beatdowns as a result of their attempt to run with WLU. I'd like to think Brandon appropriately warned the head coach who simply big-timed him.
                        The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Having confidence in playing "your" style is one thing...what G'ville's coach does when they play WLU is quite another thing! MAYBE Smith finally got through to the HC in the second half...CLEARLY he hadn't gotten through to him in the first half or in years previous.

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Having confidence in playing "your" style is one thing...what G'ville's coach does when they play WLU is quite another thing! MAYBE Smith finally got through to the HC in the second half...CLEARLY he hadn't gotten through to him in the first half or in years previous.
                          I'd have canned his behind on site. Find your own ride home. Come on ... 83 points in a half? How embarrassing. I think 83 in a GAME is too many.

As you said the funniest part is this isn't the first time. He knows what's going to happen. It's mind-blowing. Seriosuly, I'd have fired him. Probably at halftime.

Comment

I'd have canned his behind on site. Find your own ride home. Come on ... 83 points in a half? How embarrassing. I think 83 in a GAME is too many.

As you said the funniest part is this isn't the first time. He knows what's going to happen. It's mind-blowing. Seriosuly, I'd have fired him. Probably at halftime.
                            I was at both last night's game and last year's 154 game. GSC's press break was IDENTICAL both nights. Three guards are assigned to break the press with a couple of quick passes. Two forward sprint down the floor but then spread wide to the corners. Once the guards crossed half court, they kicked it wide to one of two guys sitting in the corner for 3's. Quick shot.

That's fine. But GSC doesn't shoot as high a percentage as WLU from beyond the arc (especially not once their unaccustomed legs get tired), so as the game went on, all that did was produce quick-unmade shots from GSC which led to a lot of WLU rebounds and extra WLU possessions (which is EXACTLY what Howlett wants). Howlett must lick his chops when he sees Glenville coming. In fact, I happened to notice last night that Howlett had invited a series of recruits to last night's game. There was a row of them sitting behind the WLU bench. Howeltt knows that bringing recruits to a Glenville game is GOLD. It always looks like a ton of fun to hang 85 on somebody in a half, and the new recruits are probably thinking they want to get in on that action. Smart play by Howlett to exploit GSC's stupidity to impress future recruits!

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post

I was at both last night's game and last year's 154 game. GSC's press break was IDENTICAL both nights. Three guards are assigned to break the press with a couple of quick passes. Two forward sprint down the floor but then spread wide to the corners. Once the guards crossed half court, they kicked it wide to one of two guys sitting in the corner for 3's. Quick shot.

That's fine. But GSC doesn't shoot as high a percentage as WLU from beyond the arc (especially not once their unaccustomed legs get tired), so as the game went on, all that did was produce quick-unmade shots from GSC which led to a lot of WLU rebounds and extra WLU possessions (which is EXACTLY what Howlett wants). Howlett must lick his chops when he sees Glenville coming. In fact, I happened to notice last night that Howlett had invited a series of recruits to last night's game. There was a row of them sitting behind the WLU bench. Howeltt knows that bringing recruits to a Glenville game is GOLD. It always looks like a ton of fun to hang 85 on somebody in a half, and the new recruits are probably thinking they want to get in on that action. Smart play by Howlett to exploit GSC's stupidity to impress future recruits!
                              Some of these guys who want to do nothing but throw up 3s are really ruining the game. And the line will be moving to international distance next season.

Comment

I agree. But in his defense, they are the #3 scoring team in the nation so he probably thought they could run with WLU. This clip basically describes G'ville's coaches decision in the first half:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIitjokEJwg

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X