Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

Does SOS figure in the committee selection process. Five of the seven CAL U losses were to #1, #2 twice, #5 and #6.
    It is a factor. However, I tend to be a believer in the BOAT theory that nothing ultimately hurts more than losses.

My personal opinion is Cal is a worthy team -- and very well may beat IUP tomorrow night in the Angelo Dome. That said, it always goes back to November. People say 'its early' ... blah blah blah. That's total garbage thinking. Losses on opening weekend -- as Cal suffered -- count just the same.

Boat has long argued that a win over a 3-23 team is still better than a loss to a 23-3 team. And, he's proved it in the metrics. SOS always gets a lot of hype this time of the year but I think to a large degree ... that's all it is. Hype.

Nobody knows this better than IUP fans. For years Joe liked to play a He-Man schedule in the non-conference. And, they'd lose one here and there. They missed two NCAAs because of it in the past decade ... where one win over anybody instead of that 'good loss' would have sent them dancing.

Years when the league is good -- like this one -- you can make a case there's no point in playing more than one good OOC game. In Cal's example this year they already have to play IUP, UPJ, Mercyhurst and Gannon all twice. That's 8 quality games right there. Not to mention another couple in crossover. So, playing a Bowie State and Charleston to open the season does come with risk. Cal lost those two games by 3 combined points. Had you won those two ... the Vulcans could be as high as a 4 seed right now.

A wild Regional awaits. There won't be an easy game on the board. And, wait until Mercyhurst gets that 7 or 8 seed and no doubt wins in Round 1.
    Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 02-11-2020, 10:11 AM.

Comment

• This week's national poll:

9. IUP
      24. Shippensburg
      25. West Liberty

Votes: UPJ

Out: Charleston

Of note: Jefferson (PA) is ranked No. 10 and is currently 20-2.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
        This week's national poll:

9. IUP
        24. Shippensburg
        25. West Liberty

Votes: UPJ

Out: Charleston

Welcome back to the Raiders. I still think Ship has been more deserving of exposure throughout the season than they've been getting.

And Jefferson, despite being in PA, would play in the East Regional because of their New York conference affiliation, right?

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post

Welcome back to the Raiders. I still think Ship has been more deserving of exposure throughout the season than they've been getting.

And Jefferson, despite being in PA, would play in the East Regional because of their New York conference affiliation, right?
          Correct. I just listed them as they are close to some East schools.

Comment

Well, we'll see if they stay there. A couple of tough road games coming up.

Comment

Herb Magee apparently still has it at age 78 and in his 53rd season as head coach and 61st if you include his tenure as a player and assistant coach! Wow.

Comment

• Originally posted by Golden89 View Post

Herb Magee apparently still has it at age 78 and in his 53rd season as head coach and 61st if you include his tenure as a player and assistant coach! Wow.
                Three guys averaging 15+, average winning margin of 12 points. That's always a good place to start.

Comment

It is a factor. However, I tend to be a believer in the BOAT theory that nothing ultimately hurts more than losses.

My personal opinion is Cal is a worthy team -- and very well may beat IUP tomorrow night in the Angelo Dome. That said, it always goes back to November. People say 'its early' ... blah blah blah. That's total garbage thinking. Losses on opening weekend -- as Cal suffered -- count just the same.

Boat has long argued that a win over a 3-23 team is still better than a loss to a 23-3 team. And, he's proved it in the metrics. SOS always gets a lot of hype this time of the year but I think to a large degree ... that's all it is. Hype.

Nobody knows this better than IUP fans. For years Joe liked to play a He-Man schedule in the non-conference. And, they'd lose one here and there. They missed two NCAAs because of it in the past decade ... where one win over anybody instead of that 'good loss' would have sent them dancing.

Years when the league is good -- like this one -- you can make a case there's no point in playing more than one good OOC game. In Cal's example this year they already have to play IUP, UPJ, Mercyhurst and Gannon all twice. That's 8 quality games right there. Not to mention another couple in crossover. So, playing a Bowie State and Charleston to open the season does come with risk. Cal lost those two games by 3 combined points. Had you won those two ... the Vulcans could be as high as a 4 seed right now.

A wild Regional awaits. There won't be an easy game on the board. And, wait until Mercyhurst gets that 7 or 8 seed and no doubt wins in Round 1.
                  I just woke up from being unconcious after reading the IUPBIGIndians agrees with me!!

Comment

• This Cal feed blows!!!

Comment

• Updated Atlantic Region Men's Race (using 8 losses as the cut-off)

(ranked in order of losses only)

IUP (15-2, 20-2)
                      Shippensburg (16-2, 20-4)
                      West Liberty (14-3, 19-4)
                      Charleston (12-5, 18-5)
                      Fairmont State (12-5, 17-5)
                      Pitt-Johnstown (13-5, 19-6)
                      Fayetteville State (7-6, 18-6)
                      West Virginia State (10-6, 15-6)
                      Virginia State (10-2, 17-7)
                      Johnson C. Smith (10-4, 16-7)
                      Mercyhurst (13-5, 15-7)
                      California (11-6, 15-8)
                      East Stroudsburg (11-7, 15-8)
                      West Chester (9-8, 15-8)

Comment

• Lots of basketball left to be played, but, man, you can just feel that a Bowie is going to crash the party this year and send everything into a tailspin. With that wild CIAA tourney yet to be played, you gotta do everything you can to avoid sitting in that 7th or 8th slot in the region this year!

Comment

Lots of basketball left to be played, but, man, you can just feel that a Bowie is going to crash the party this year and send everything into a tailspin. With that wild CIAA tourney yet to be played, you gotta do everything you can to avoid sitting in that 7th or 8th slot in the region this year!

I wouldn't bet on the CIAA Tournament even with your money. LOL. I'm already pretty much assuming something crazy will happen. Both Bowie State and Virginia Union are more than capable of a run -- they've done it before. Winston-Salem State is another one.

Where it could get real crazy is if the CIAA gets two teams in outright and then has a wild-card win the Tournament. That's possible. If they'd get three in ... chaos.

Virginia State has 7 losses but they are going to grade out well in the metrics. Same with Fayetteville State. If actual regional rankings came out today I think both are in the Top 8.

Comment

• I expected the Millersville-Ship game to be a lot tighter last night. Ville got off to a slow start, and it quickly turned into a rout, never closer than 16 points the second half. It was so one-sided that Stitzel even quit complaining about calls for the most part.

Comment

• Updated Atlantic Region MEN'S race:

(listed by number of losses -- with 8 losses as the cut-off)

IUP (16-2, 21-2)
                              West Liberty (15-3, 20-4)
                              Shippensburg (16-3, 20-5)
                              Charleston (13-5, 19-5)
                              Fairmont State (13-5, 18-5)
                              UPJ (14-5, 20-6)
                              West Virginia State (12-6, 17-6)
                              Virginia State (12-2, 19-7)
                              Fayetteville State (8-7, 19-7)
                              Johnson C. Smith (11-4, 17-7)
                              Mercyhurst (13-5, 15-7)
                              California (12-6, 16-8)