Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Name out of the past. IUP played them in the Elite 8 in 2014-15.
    Then Tarleton St

Comment

• Originally posted by Inkblot View Post

The win over Dickinson doesn't count.
      For rankings. OK, got ya.

Comment

• Women's Top 25

9. IUP
        12. Virginia Union

Votes: Bowie State, Lincoln

Of note:

How would you like to play in this Regional ... Drury (25-0), Ashland (25-0) and Grand Valley State (23-2). That's obviously a downside to the D2 Tournament. Three of the top teams in the country are in the same region. Only one will make the Elite 8.

Comment

Women's Top 25

9. IUP
          12. Virginia Union

Votes: Bowie State, Lincoln

Of note:

How would you like to play in this Regional ... Drury (25-0), Ashland (25-0) and Grand Valley State (23-2). That's obviously a downside to the D2 Tournament. Three of the top teams in the country are in the same region. Only one will make the Elite 8.
          How Bowie & Lincoln are not in the Top 25 is beyond me. Unbelievable. They both beat the #12 team. Lincoln destroyed them.

The game tonight will be interesting. Bowie vs Va. Union

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
            Presidents Day Special

I've been looking at all things Massey and what they use to come up with their various predictive tools. Basically, their Rankings are based on the games a team has played and how they preformed in those games compared to all other DII teams. In effect, it is a "reward" for past performance (games that have already been played). The current Top 10 for the Atlantic Region are:

1. IUP
            2. WLU
            3. Ship
            4. Charleston
            5. Va State
            6. Fairmont
            7. Hurst
            8. Cal
            9. UPJ
            10. JC Smith

But Massey also has another Ranking that few pay much attention to, that being their Power Ranking (Or PWR). The Power Ranking is the true predictive tool in Massey in that it looks at and quantifies past performance and attempts to predict future results. Massey's Top 10 Power Ranking for the Atlantic currently stand at:

1. WLU
            2. IUP
            3. Ship
            4. Charleston
            5. Va State
            6. Hurst
            7. Cal
            8. ESU
            9. Fayetville
            10. Va Union

Sooooo...if you are rewarding a team for how they have played thus far in the season, use the Rankings. But if you are trying to predict the future and win a Washington or Lincoln or two on this Presidents Day, use the Power Rankings!

How Va. State is #5 is concerning. The rankings seem to always put us higher than what we are. I'm happy don't get me wrong. It would be nice to not have to win the CIAA tournament to get in the NCAA tournament. Hopefully Va. State doesn't lose to Va. Union.

Comment

• I just discovered I was missing the Johnson C. Smith @ Virginia Union game from December 18, which VUU won. I'm not sure that affects JCSU's position in my top 10, though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Inkblot View Post
                I just discovered I was missing the Johnson C. Smith @ Virginia Union game from December 18, which VUU won. I'm not sure that affects JCSU's position in my top 10, though.
                On the 17th you had the Atlantic Top 10 being:
                1. Indiana (20-2)
                2. Shippensburg (19-5)
                3. Fairmont State (17-5)
                4. West Liberty (20-4)
                5. Charleston (19-5)
                6. Virginia State (19-7)
                7. West Virginia State (16-6)
                8. Pitt Johnstown (16-6)
                9. Johnson C. Smith (17-6)
                10. California (15-8)
                NCAA 's just released Atlantic Regional Rankings has it:

1. IUP
                2. Ship
                3. WLU
                4. Fairmont
                5. Charleston
                6. Va State
                7. WV State
                8. UPJ
                9. Bowie
                10. JC Smith

One of the things I always find interesting is the amount of "correction" in polls that goes on after the RR's are first released. If history is any guide, the NABC, SIADA and other polls will start to look very similar to the RR's in were they rank the teams within the region. For example, I would imagine that Ship will make a return to both of these polls next week (baring any losses) and the polsters will somehow discover a way to rank them above WLU! The only consistent poll will be Massey that will continue to use it's mathmatic formula and rank the teams regardless of were other polls say they "should" be ranked.
                Last edited by boatcapt; 02-19-2020, 02:03 PM.

Comment

• MEN'S 'official' Regional Rankings

1. IUP
                  2. Shippensburg
                  3. West Liberty
                  4. Fairmont State
                  5. Charleston
                  6. Virginia State
                  7. West Virginia State
                  8. Pitt-Johnstown
                  9. Bowie State
                  10. Johnson C. Smith

No real surprises. No. 2 and No. 3 could probably be listed either way. I'd assume Meryhurst, Cal and East Stroudsburg aren't far behind.

This should give Mercyhurst a little extra fire in its game tonight against Pitt-Johnstown.

Comment

• Women's 'official' Regional Rankings:

1. IUP
                    2. Glenville State
                    3. Notre Dame
                    4. Virginia Union
                    5. Gannon
                    6. Lincoln
                    7. Bowie State
                    8. California
                    9. Charleston
                    10. Shepherd

Comment

• UPJ better win tonight, because this certainly seems like one of those years a Johnson C. Smith or Fayetteville takes the CIAA tourney crown, so sitting at that #8 slot is a real hot seat.

Comment

• Bowie State (men) cracking the Top 10 with a 16-10 record.

Comment

Bowie State (men) cracking the Top 10 with a 16-10 record.
                          Yea...That's one of those that you look at the selection criteria...then look at Bowie...then look at the criteria again...and throw your hands up in utter amazement!!

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

Yea...That's one of those that you look at the selection criteria...then look at Bowie...then look at the criteria again...and throw your hands up in utter amazement!!
                            That caught me off guard, but I looked at their numbers again and they're 9th in RPI, so maybe it shouldn't have.

Comment

• Bowie State always schedules tough and this year is no exception. They played California, Gannon, Fairmont State and Shippensburg in non-conference. I have a hard time right now putting them ahead of Mercyhurst, but ... that's just me.

Comment

• Don't look now, but that old saw about strength of schedule rears it ugly head once again. With Ship being ranked ahead of WLU (one more loss, but a stronger schedule) and with Bowie outranking JC Smith, Mercy, Cal, ESU, etc., it's clear that the committee this year is privileging strength of schedule. Maybe that game against Daemen wasn't such a bad idea after all. ; )

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X