Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    VSU wins a battle at Ship. That team has ice in the veins.

Cal a tough 0-2. Could be 2-0.
    If you can have a good 2 game losing streak. Hurts like hell but the VULCANS played a couple of league top ranked teams to the last shot. By December they should be 5-2 going into crossover and hopefully they'll be in rhythm by then.
    Oddly CAL U wbb started 2-0 with wins over CHARLESTON and WLU but were very unimpressive in doing it. CHARLESTON must be sick of seeing the VULCANS after losing a second straight game to them including last year's season ender.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      VSU wins a battle at Ship. That team has ice in the veins.

Cal a tough 0-2. Could be 2-0.
      Just got back from the Ship-VSU game. It was a great game although filled with typical early-season sloppy play. Ship had one of the worst shooting games they've probably had in some time (below 30 percent for the game, I believe). A lot of that can be attributed to Virginia State. Those guys are good and very athletic. Biss got 7 for the Raiders after scoring 32 against Virginia Union. That said, the Raiders must have had 7-8 open three-point looks that rimmed around the basket or went halfway down and popped out. It was getting almost comical. What kept them in the game was some of the best defense I've seen Shippensburg play in a while. They have a few 6-5 guys with some quickness and hops this season, and I think that will keep them in most games.

Nip-and-tuck all the way as Ship would get within a point or two, and VSU would go on a mini-spurt to pull away. Ship finally got its first lead of the game with about four minutes left and was up 50-46 with about three minutes left, but couldn't get much to fall after that. It was a very physical game. VSU has about four-five big guys they interchange on the front line, and I think that affected Ship's offense somewhat as they really had to work to keep those guys off the board.

One thing you probably don't want to do against Ship this year is get into a free-throw shooting contest. They made 11 of 12 tonight and now are 38 of 41 for two games.

I'm thinking there might be some injury problems or something else going on as Ship only dressed nine guys for the game. I saw Daylon Carter, who was a valuable reserve last year, on the bench. He would have helped. I assume they might be redshirting a couple of the freshmen, but have no inside knowledge about any of this. I'll have to inquire later.

In any case, Virginia State was a nice early test. It probably won't get easier Nov. 13 with Bowie State.

Comment

Watched what I could online. Good early test, but Ship isn't going to win too many with Biss, John Castello and Carlos Carter going a combined 9-for-39 from the floor.

Comment

Originally posted by jrshooter View Post
          Watched what I could online. Good early test, but Ship isn't going to win too many with Biss, John Castello and Carlos Carter going a combined 9-for-39 from the floor.
          They aren't going to play a whole lot of teams more athletic and better defensively than Virginia State in the PSAC. And as badly as they shot they almost pulled out the game. As Nedrow starts getting more into the flow, I think they have the potential to be strong on the defensive end.

Comment

So Virginia St started 2-0 this season instead of early season losses to IUP. Hope to see them down the road!

Comment

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

They aren't going to play a whole lot of teams more athletic and better defensively than Virginia State in the PSAC. And as badly as they shot they almost pulled out the game. As Nedrow starts getting more into the flow, I think they have the potential to be strong on the defensive end.
              Yeah, I'm interested to see him in person. Decent freshman year at Marist before transferring. Could be a major factor.

Comment

Glenville State 103 Bloom 92

Comment

Originally posted by jrshooter View Post

Yeah, I'm interested to see him in person. Decent freshman year at Marist before transferring. Could be a major factor.
                  He gets good position defensively, but has to avoid foul trouble, which benched him for long stretches Saturday. Ship needs his size against bigger opponents such as VSU. Just an opinion, but I think it's going to take him a while to adjust from being an 8-9 player at a Division I school to being a center of attention expected to play major minutes at Division II. His shooting statistics are bad so far, but he attempted three three-pointers on Saturday, and all looked as if they had a chance when they left his hand. He and Castello did a very good job fighting off a formidable VSU front line, but I think the constant push against big bodies affect their offense. Castello had trouble finishing late in the game. Just read on the BB website that the game was Ship's worst shooting performance in nine years.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
                    So Virginia St started 2-0 this season instead of early season losses to IUP. Hope to see them down the road!
                    Well, the past is no indication of the present in Division II basketball as Ship beat them 77-58 when they met in the NCAA playoffs in March of 2018. Good luck if you do play them.

Comment

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Well, the past is no indication of the present in Division II basketball as Ship beat them 77-58 when they met in the NCAA playoffs in March of 2018. Good luck if you do play them.

Comment

Factually incorrect. The series is 1-1 the last 2 years and both games were close. VSU has fared pretty well at IUP for the record.

Comment

Are you absolutely sure that's the reason they chose not to come? Shippensburg has played CIAA teams to open the season the past couple of years, so it made sense for them to come up with Virginia Union. If they wanted an easy game, there was no reason for them to come up and play Ship as we're going to have a decent team this year and had beaten them decisively the last time the two teams played. Every year is different. Also, kjb0615 above is right, and they did beat Indiana during the 2017-2018 season.
                          Last edited by Ship69; 11-11-2019, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X