Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cal vs Gannon game delayed. Player injured during dunk in pregame. Sounds fairly serious.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      Cal vs Gannon game delayed. Player injured during dunk in pregame. Sounds fairly serious.

Comment

Edinboro up 46-32 at half in Greensburg. Coleman has 22. Staunch has a double-double. Scots getting hot at the right time.

Comment

Broadcast said it was a senior player (I assume for Cal). I didn't know the name. They took him out on a stretcher.

Comment

Boro wins! Dancing in the streets in southern Erie County! The streak is over! No 0 for the West! Coleman 39 on 15/32. Staunch 28 points and scored 19 rebounds.

Comment

SATURDAY'S FINALS...
              SHIP. 76. KUTZ. 57
              MC. 75. SRU. 69
              MILL 94. LHU. 76
              BORO. 85. SHU. 80
              SHEP. 89. MANS. 73
              ESU. 103 WCU. 87
              GU. 82 CAL U. 71

LATE GAME
              IUP. 93 UPJ. 82
              Last edited by CALUPA69; 02-29-2020, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Comment

Was really hoping they'd lose a hard fought game. Cal gonna be out for blood Monday... not what Gannon needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrub View Post

You're absolutely right that they're not sneaking up on anyone anymore. There's certainly a playbook out there on how to beat them and/or at least compete with them.

It leads me to wonder if that explains why Howlett has been recruiting more athletic players in the past few years. If the system itself is no longer enough to shock teams (like it seemed to be in that run of years when they won 3 straight regional titles), then you need to recruit more than just "system players." Thinking back over Crutch's teams in the early part of this run, he rarely had guys with the athletic ability and one-on-one, beat-your-man ability of guys like Robinson & McKinney. Yes, there were some--Alex Falk, Corey Pelle, Cedric Harris--but it does seem like Crutch relied on the system working (and therefore simply needed to find guys who fit the system). Guys like Wolosinczuk, Morrow, Shetzer, Fortney, Grossenbacher, etc. were perfect for Crutch's system. But those were not guys who could win a one-on-one battle with a defender if the system had been frustrated. I'm just spitballing a bit here, but it certainly seems as though Howlett recognizes the need to rely not merely on the system. System first, which will win most games. But in a game where the system is being frustrated, it becomes more possible that a guy like Robinson can take over the game by getting in the lane and causing havoc of his own. I wonder if that is Howlett's answer to the fact that the top teams in the region are no longer fearing the system. Again, just spitballing a bit.
                    I don't necessarily think it's anything about West Liberty. I think he's just trying to recruit the best players he can - like every team. How does that make what they're doing any different than anybody else? Teams in the PSAC are just better than they were 5, 7, and 10 years ago. IUP was a great PSAC team, but didn't necessarily have the makeup every year to be a true regional title contender. They were built to play more with teams in their own league. Joe Lombardi started a trend in the league where he started building "hybrid" type teams that could play with Gannon and Slippery Rock, but also be capable of putting up points against an MEC team while also staying within the controlled offense and structured defensive game plans.

IUP was just the first team to change their roster makeup. In 2014, they should have beaten West Liberty about three separate times. In 2015, they did. Shippensburg is built nearly identical to IUP. West Chester and Kutztown have progressively gotten much better at this too. Both of those teams are typically very balanced between the types of players they have. While Mercyhurst is the running joke about their style of play, watch their games sometime. Those guys can play offense if they have to (as you found out last year). East Stroud plays like an MEC team already.

Sometimes I think you guys on the West Liberty side try to overthink and over analyze these things. Teams are just much better than they were a couple years ago.

Other regions may be more top-heavy or have more brand recognition, but I've long stated that I don't think there's a better region top to bottom than the Atlantic.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
                      SATURDAY'S FINALS...
                      SHIP. 76. KUTZ. 57
                      MC. 75. SRU. 69
                      MILL 94. LHU. 76
                      BORO. 85. SHU. 80
                      SHEP. 89. MANS. 73
                      ESU. 103 WCU. 87
                      GU. 82 CAL U. 71

LATE GAME
                      UPJ. IUP
                      ++

Comment

Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

I don't necessarily think it's anything about West Liberty. I think he's just trying to recruit the best players he can - like every team. How does that make what they're doing any different than anybody else? Teams in the PSAC are just better than they were 5, 7, and 10 years ago. IUP was a great PSAC team, but didn't necessarily have the makeup every year to be a true regional title contender. They were built to play more with teams in their own league. Joe Lombardi started a trend in the league where he started building "hybrid" type teams that could play with Gannon and Slippery Rock, but also be capable of putting up points against an MEC team while also staying within the controlled offense and structured defensive game plans.

IUP was just the first team to change their roster makeup. In 2014, they should have beaten West Liberty about three separate times. In 2015, they did. Shippensburg is built nearly identical to IUP. West Chester and Kutztown have progressively gotten much better at this too. Both of those teams are typically very balanced between the types of players they have. While Mercyhurst is the running joke about their style of play, watch their games sometime. Those guys can play offense if they have to (as you found out last year). East Stroud plays like an MEC team already.

Sometimes I think you guys on the West Liberty side try to overthink and over analyze these things. Teams are just much better than they were a couple years ago.

Other regions may be more top-heavy or have more brand recognition, but I've long stated that I don't think there's a better region top to bottom than the Atlantic.
                        Pressing, high-tempo offenses are a two-edged sword. If you have good depth and your coach has recruited good athletes, you can sometimes overwhelm other teams with that style, especially if you have better talent to begin with. And it's also lethal against teams that don't have good talent at guard. But once you get into the regional or national stage you'll usually start running into teams with talented point guards who can penetrate the first wave of pressure and hustle the ball upcourt to the point where the press is giving up as many easy buckets as it's causing. And if you don't get back into half-court defense properly, the opposing team can get a lot of open three-point looks. While it's difficult to play against a good press, it's been a while since I've seen a team that plays that way go far in the Division I tournament.
                        Last edited by Ship69; 02-29-2020, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

Good points, IUP24. I buy your theory about Joe starting a trend of building hybrid teams.

And I 100% agree that this is a very deep & talented region (despite some lack of name recognition that comes with those Midwestern regions).

Comment

SATURDAY'S FINALS...
                            SHIP. 76. KUTZ. 57
                            MC. 75. SRU. 69
                            MILL 94. LHU. 76
                            BORO. 85. SHU. 80
                            SHEP. 89. MANS. 73
                            ESU. 103 WCU. 87
                            GU. 82 CAL U. 71

LATE GAME
                            UPJ. IUP
                            All chalk in the MEC this afternoon.

Comment

SATURDAY'S FINALS...
                              SHIP. 76. KUTZ. 57
                              MC. 75. SRU. 69
                              MILL 94. LHU. 76
                              BORO. 85. SHU. 80
                              SHEP. 89. MANS. 73
                              ESU. 103 WCU. 87
                              GU. 82 CAL U. 71

LATE GAME
                              IUP. 93 UPJ. 82
                              ++

Comment

Originally posted by bballfan03 View Post

Was really hoping they'd lose a hard fought game. Cal gonna be out for blood Monday... not what Gannon needs.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X