Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cal loses #5 in Phillip Alexander listed as a redshirt.

Comment

Originally posted by Bart View Post
      Cal loses #5 in Phillip Alexander listed as a redshirt.
      Wow

Comment

Alexander wasn't a Sancomb recruit. To lose five in one off-season is alarming. Boswell, however, is a quick fix for one spot.

I was expecting a couple coaching resignations or terminations. Of course, that's low on the pecking order right now.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

He's obviously not coming there to ride pine. Wonder how this will alter the others' decisions.
          It is nearly a certainty that he will start. He started at west lib although that does not have the cachet of other schools due to their quality depth.
          I think his overall game improved at west lib and he became a more complete player. Without the full court press on defense, he should be able to play 35 minutes easily. Wish him well!

Comment

IUP loses 2 in Alan Glover and Shawn Ulrich.

Comment

Originally posted by Bart View Post
              IUP loses 2 in Alan Glover and Shawn Ulrich.
              That's what you call clearing room on the roster.

Comment

That's what you call clearing room on the roster.
                Neither were factors. Wonder who Joe has his eyes on?

Comment

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

Neither were factors. Wonder who Joe has his eyes on?
                  Remember the name I told you about earlier this week. That's real close to happening. So I hear, anyway. That will be Ulrich's spot. Joe had to make room. Joe's loading up for a run.

As for Glover ... as a walk-on he doesn't free up any cap room. He likely wanted to find a place where he could see some minutes. I think he'll keep Benton around as a Swiss Army Knife. They may kick him a few bucks, too.

Comment

Alexander wasn't a Sancomb recruit. To lose five in one off-season is alarming. Boswell, however, is a quick fix for one spot.

I was expecting a couple coaching resignations or terminations. Of course, that's low on the pecking order right now.
                    Don't know anything about Alexander but I note he has played for Sancomb for two years now. I would think that after one season that "wasn't a coach X recruit" starts to ring hollow. Quite possible that some of the same issues that drove the other four players to enter the transfer portal are present with Alexander. Add on top of that that he was a displaced starter and it's not surprizing that he is chosing to transfer.

Also worth noting that Alexander was not an end of the bench nothing burger. In fact, he started the season as a starter and earned 13 starts over the course of the year. After going to the bench he still averaged 14+ minutes a game.

Is he the biggest fish Cal lost this year? No, not by a mile. He might be the easiest to replace but that doesn't mean he meant nothing to the team.

Comment

As it stands now. Atlantic teams transfers:

Cal 6
                      Mansfield 6
                      Clarion 5
                      Millersville 4
                      Wheeling 4
                      D&E 3
                      Eliz City 3
                      NDC 3
                      WV State 3
                      Gannon 2
                      Glenville 2
                      IUP 2
                      Kutz 2
                      Shaw 2
                      Shepherd 1
                      WCU 1
                      Lincoln 1
                      WSSU 1
                      WLU 1

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

Don't know anything about Alexander but I note he has played for Sancomb for two years now. I would think that after one season that "wasn't a coach X recruit" starts to ring hollow. Quite possible that some of the same issues that drove the other four players to enter the transfer portal are present with Alexander. Add on top of that that he was a displaced starter and it's not surprizing that he is chosing to transfer.

Also worth noting that Alexander was not an end of the bench nothing burger. In fact, he started the season as a starter and earned 13 starts over the course of the year. After going to the bench he still averaged 14+ minutes a game.

Is he the biggest fish Cal lost this year? No, not by a mile. He might be the easiest to replace but that doesn't mean he meant nothing to the team.
                        This was his only year actually playing under DS. He missed all last year with an injury. He can't seem to ever stay on the court much.

Comment

This was his only year actually playing under DS. He missed all last year with an injury. He can't seem to ever stay on the court much.
                          Yes, but he was on the team last year and was in the starting five for the first 12 games this past year. And even when moved to the bench, he averaged 14+ minutes per game. Hard to say that a player that was on a team with a HC for two years and was a starter for him is transfering because he wasn't recruited by the HC. Comes a point were the "transfering because the "new" HS didn't recruit him" kind of loses it's edge. In Alexanders case I would say it was more lost his starting job as opposed th because the HC didn't recruit him.

Now that said, his transfer is not a HUGE loss...not completely insignifigant...but not huge. He was a top 7 player for Cal and given the other transfers, his role probably would have increased.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

Yes, but he was on the team last year and was in the starting five for the first 12 games this past year. And even when moved to the bench, he averaged 14+ minutes per game. Hard to say that a player that was on a team with a HC for two years and was a starter for him is transfering because he wasn't recruited by the HC. Comes a point were the "transfering because the "new" HS didn't recruit him" kind of loses it's edge. In Alexanders case I would say it was more lost his starting job as opposed th because the HC didn't recruit him.

Now that said, his transfer is not a HUGE loss...not completely insignifigant...but not huge. He was a top 7 player for Cal and given the other transfers, his role probably would have increased.
                            He's not that good. Not a major loss. DS can upgrade his spot via transfer. For all we know Danny told him to leave. We can't assume all these guys left. Some may have been told their money wasn't being renewed. Happens all the time. Happened in Indiana yesterday.

Comment

Remember the name I told you about earlier this week. That's real close to happening. So I hear, anyway. That will be Ulrich's spot. Joe had to make room. Joe's loading up for a run.

As for Glover ... as a walk-on he doesn't free up any cap room. He likely wanted to find a place where he could see some minutes. I think he'll keep Benton around as a Swiss Army Knife. They may kick him a few bucks, too.

Comment

That's for Joe to figure out. If they don't feel he'd be a good 'role' player, ... then it won't be a good fit. It's not a starters' role for sure. This will be a 15-17 mpg role. If he's willing to take that role ... he could be a great addition. He would be a tremendous upgrade in depth as he can play both G/F.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X