Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Verplancken got an offer from St. Bonaventure.
    Vernplancken offers from Southern Illinois, McNeese, Quinnipiac, Southern Utah, Saint Bonny
    lots of MM D1 tracking

Comment

• Originally posted by wheelingtopper62 View Post
      Allessondro offers from AB, Georgian Court, OK Baptist, Tiffin, Walsh, Stonehill, Le Moyne
      Shiflett offers from Fresno Pacific, Biola, Montevallo, Slipper Rock, Coker, KY Wesleyan

This is a great example of why transfers so often fail.

Nothing to do with either Shiflett or Allesandro, but they both got like 5-6 offers within hours of hitting the portal. That's sight-unseen recruiting. Coaches watch a HUDL tape (which, obviously only shows the good stuff) and make a 3-minute phone call. That's the extent of it and an offer gets made. Could there have been more to the story of why they are leaving an elite program so quickly?

I suppose in the modern internet world that's how recruiting gets done nowadays. But, you'd sure like to meet a kid before you extend that offer. A lot of them are total dip****s ... and you're stuck with them at that point for at least a season.

I get the West Liberty pedigree makes them much more attractive -- and that you can't have campus visits right now. But, this type of 3-minute recruiting is how it has been done for years. Slippery Rock used to go to JUCO Showcase tournaments and offer 25 players -- with the caveat the first so many to sign get the spots.

This transfer-happy universe is going to make it almost impossible for Clarion types to ever be good. Go there for a year ... get big stats ... get the hell out of town and open a bidding war. It's the new norm. The trickle-down effect is mid-major kids are jumping to the P5. D2 kids are jumping to the mid-majors.

If you keep your stars at D2 now ... Dalton Bolon, Armoni Foster, Malik Miller ... for four years ... you are extremely fortunate.

Comment

• Is that perhaps why WLU has had such success with recruiting kids who weren't projected to be stars (i.e., Bolon, Dyer, etc.) and helping them to work toward becoming stars? If you get a projected star (i.e., Dave Dennis, Yahel Hill, Clay Guillozet, etc.), they might go try to chase stardom somewhere else. If you get a guy who has to work toward his stardom, he may just stick it out with you once he earns his spot. Just spitballing a bit here. In other words, maybe it's less about being fortunate that Bolon stayed, but rather a targeted recruiting strategy of getting a "project guy" with the right mindset?

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post
          Is that perhaps why WLU has had such success with recruiting kids who weren't projected to be stars (i.e., Bolon, Dyer, etc.) and helping them to work toward becoming stars? If you get a projected star (i.e., Dave Dennis, Yahel Hill, Clay Guillozet, etc.), they might go try to chase stardom somewhere else. If you get a guy who has to work toward his stardom, he may just stick it out with you once he earns his spot. Just spitballing a bit here. In other words, maybe it's less about being fortunate that Bolon stayed, but rather a targeted recruiting strategy of getting a "project guy" with the right mindset?

That's been the UPJ model for years and years. They routinely find kids in the middle of Nowhere, USA. Granted, they aren't an elite program ... but, they are pretty good year after year. They also almost never have any players leave. They very, very rarely take a transfer.

It's not easy. I'd just be hard-pressed as a coach to buy a player basically sight-unseen. One huge advantage of coaches with deep pipelines is they have a lot of connections for references, etc.

Joe's approach has mostly been to find his future stars via high school recruiting -- recently Webb, Ashton, Cobo, Dante, Armoni, Malik, Porterfield, etc., and then supplement them with the right transfers at the right times. Granted, he has a big checkbook to work with which helps a ton.

Comment

This is a great example of why transfers so often fail.

Nothing to do with either Shiflett or Allesandro, but they both got like 5-6 offers within hours of hitting the portal. That's sight-unseen recruiting. Coaches watch a HUDL tape (which, obviously only shows the good stuff) and make a 3-minute phone call. That's the extent of it and an offer gets made. Could there have been more to the story of why they are leaving an elite program so quickly?

I suppose in the modern internet world that's how recruiting gets done nowadays. But, you'd sure like to meet a kid before you extend that offer. A lot of them are total dip****s ... and you're stuck with them at that point for at least a season.

I get the West Liberty pedigree makes them much more attractive -- and that you can't have campus visits right now. But, this type of 3-minute recruiting is how it has been done for years. Slippery Rock used to go to JUCO Showcase tournaments and offer 25 players -- with the caveat the first so many to sign get the spots.

This transfer-happy universe is going to make it almost impossible for Clarion types to ever be good. Go there for a year ... get big stats ... get the hell out of town and open a bidding war. It's the new norm. The trickle-down effect is mid-major kids are jumping to the P5. D2 kids are jumping to the mid-majors.

If you keep your stars at D2 now ... Dalton Bolon, Armoni Foster, Malik Miller ... for four years ... you are extremely fortunate.

Comment

• Vernplancken offered by Loyola Chicago. Anybody giving a kid crap for chasing his dream of playing basketball at the highest level should really examine themselves.

Comment

Vernplancken offered by Loyola Chicago. Anybody giving a kid crap for chasing his dream of playing basketball at the highest level should really examine themselves.
                Where was he given any 'crap' on here?

Comment

Vernplancken offered by Loyola Chicago. Anybody giving a kid crap for chasing his dream of playing basketball at the highest level should really examine themselves.
                  What???

Comment

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

Top 10 teams in Atlantic region could probably hang with southern Utah. I guess if you are not playing after college and want to brag about being d1 then go right ahead.

I hope he realizes the NBA is not in his future regardless of his skill. Not big enough or quick enough. Europe is entirely different style. Pick a school that will develop the basketball iq for that style rather than low level d1 teams that mimic the nba style.
                    This message in particular, I can only see 3-4 teams in the entire region who can compete for 40 minutes with any level or D1. The athleticism and overall size even at the LM level is not matched by any team in the MEC.

Comment

Testing the water ... don't let the door hit ya. These coaches best set a precedent that if you test the waters you're no longer welcome.

Comment

This message in particular, I can only see 3-4 teams in the entire region who can compete for 40 minutes with any level or D1. The athleticism and overall size even at the LM level is not matched by any team in the MEC.

Comment

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• That's a real big 'if', however. D2 coaches aren't hired to be a developmental guide to D1. They are hired to win. Quickly. And, if they lose their stars ... they likely won't be employed at their current school very long.

You have to remember this is a 'fan' site ... so, of course when a potential future star player leaves ... you're going to have some upset fans. And, most coaches aren't on real strong job standing. A couple bad years and it's off to file for unemployment.

But, many D1 and D2 coaches have made it very clear that if you 'test the waters' ... you're doing it at your own risk. Your spot will likely be gone when/if you want to come back. Pitt football coach Pat Narduzzi said if you want to 'test the waters' it shows him you don't want to be there and you can pack your bags.

Just yesterday, senior-to-be star running back Garret Owens announced he's leaving Mercyhurst and headed to (very low level D1) Duquesne for his senior season. Now, if your a Lakers fan ... and your program invested three years already in the kid ... not going to be very happy. It's also 'very' heavily rumored Notre Dame (OH) star RB will not be back in the D2 ranks. Prior to last year, Edinboro lost its senior-to-be All-American RB in a transfer to Ball State.

Players can do what's best for themselves. So can programs and coaches.

My fear as a true (rare) fan of the D2 level ... is this becomes the new norm. Luckily this trend hasn't hit Indiana yet but it surely could have. Joe's been extremely lucky all of his stars have stayed in Indiana. John Calipari said last year that Cobo Diaz could have not only played but started for many schools in the SEC.

I guess if you have stars ... enjoy them while you have them. It may only be one season.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X