Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comment

• Slippery Rock forward Deonte Robertson tweeted that he's transferring to Edinboro. Averaged 8 points, 5 rebounds last season.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
        Slippery Rock forward Deonte Robertson tweeted that he's transferring to Edinboro. Averaged 8 points, 5 rebounds last season.
        Is this a transfer in view of the impending merger ?

Comment

• Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

Is this a transfer in view of the impending merger ?
          Merger if any won't come for another 2 years. He's got less than that left.

Comment

Merger if any won't come for another 2 years. He's got less than that left.
            As a practicle matter, two years until the mergers is probably right. But there is no set time. Theoretically the mergers could occur in any amount of time, provided the BOG completes the required comment and review steps.

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

As a practicle matter, two years until the mergers is probably right. But there is no set time. Theoretically the mergers could occur in any amount of time, provided the BOG completes the required comment and review steps.
              I don't recall reading any comments from administrations at either BORO or SRU, but both CALU and CUP presidents have reacted very positively to the plan for those two locations to focus on a high quality ON LINE program. If both campuses can retain a semblance of their identity they could probably be into the reconfiguration in less time IF those being downsized can be persuaded or paid off to leave without a fuss. Time will tell.

Comment

I don't recall reading any comments from administrations at either BORO or SRU, but both CALU and CUP presidents have reacted very positively to the plan for those two locations to focus on a high quality ON LINE program. If both campuses can retain a semblance of their identity they could probably be into the reconfiguration in less time IF those being downsized can be persuaded or paid off to leave without a fuss. Time will tell.
                I would imagine that most presidents would be in favor...PROVIDED it meets THEIR definition of what is needed! I'd imagine that that those favorable comments will become somewhat less enthustiastic the farther it strays from what they think is "right." Wonder how favorable the comments would be coming from the Clarion President if the description of the changes that are going to be made start with, OK, we are going to consolidate all athletics at the Cal campus...

Comment

I would imagine that most presidents would be in favor...PROVIDED it meets THEIR definition of what is needed! I'd imagine that that those favorable comments will become somewhat less enthustiastic the farther it strays from what they think is "right." Wonder how favorable the comments would be coming from the Clarion President if the description of the changes that are going to be made start with, OK, we are going to consolidate all athletics at the Cal campus...
                  Also keep in mind that the PASSHE board are working through the the steps involved in naming GERALDINE JONES successor. Do not be surprised if this person moves into the recently refurbished ($860,000) president's residence thus eliminating 1major administration job even before the merger.

https://www.clarion.edu/news/2018/ma...president.html

Comment

Also keep in mind that the PASSHE board are working through the the steps involved in naming GERALDINE JONES successor. Do not be surprised if this person moves into the recently refurbished ($860,000) president's residence thus eliminating 1major administration job even before the merger.

https://www.clarion.edu/news/2018/ma...president.html
                    First off, she's retiring.

Second, the president's residence at Cal was renovated 5 years ago. It needed new windows, new HVAC, and a full updating. It had not been renovated since before Armenti. You can't entertain big time donors in a tired, passe room.

Comment

First off, she's retiring.

Second, the president's residence at Cal was renovated 5 years ago. It needed new windows, new HVAC, and a full updating. It had not been renovated since before Armenti. You can't entertain big time donors in a tired, passe room.
                      Who's retiring? JONES, I know. DR PEHRSSON ? She was just named at CLARION in '18 ?
                      I have zero problems with the renovation of the residence. My suggestion, which may be way off base, was that a newly minted PASSHE president could easily slide on down the 107 miles to the digs in South Hall and be the point person in formulating and implementing the establishment of the planned ON-LINE LEARNING PROGRAM.

Comment

Who's retiring? JONES, I know. DR PEHRSSON ? She was just named at CLARION in '18 ?
                        I have zero problems with the renovation of the residence. My suggestion, which may be way off base, was that a newly minted PASSHE president could easily slide on down the 107 miles to the digs in South Hall and be the point person in formulating and implementing the establishment of the planned ON-LINE LEARNING PROGRAM.
                        I imagine that if the senior leadership team is combined that the president would utilize both residences.

Comment

I imagine that if the senior leadership team is combined that the president would utilize both residences.
                          That's exactly what you don't need in these budget strapped times...A president with TWO government provided residences less than 150 miles apart!!! Sell one.

Comment

The BOG may try to frame these three, SRU/BORO, CALU/CUP and LHU/MANS, reconfigurations as joint ventures but my guess is that there will be an alpha member in each. The beta may not be eliminated immediately but over time it will fade.
                            You may be too young to remember when Pittsburgh had three daily papers, but a similar thing happened when the POST GAZETTE merged with the SUN TELEGRAPH. At first the banner heading was virtually equal on the front page. Over 5-10 years the SUN TELEGRAPH words kept shrinking until they disappeared and nobody batted an eye.....other than former newsboys.
                            I don't know how the politics worked in this process but I think they got it wrong. Time will tell.

Comment

That's exactly what you don't need in these budget strapped times...A president with TWO government provided residences less than 150 miles apart!!! Sell one.
                              I disagree. The president will most likely be there for multiple days at a time - especially for big weekends like Homecoming, graduation, etc. You either maintain the existing residence or you end up paying for them to stay in a hotel every time they're there.

I don't think they'll end up dropping too much in senior administration - the Penn State campuses are a good model. There's a lot of streamlining but you still have someone "in charge" at that location. I would think you'd have to pay a premium to find someone willing to cover two campuses 60-90 minutes apart with unique cultures and personalities. Plus you go from paying two presidents $250k to be in charge of 5,000 student campuses to one president in charge of two campuses with 10,000 students. That's more work and the market will likely dictate that president gets paid more, decreasing the savings. The president salaries in PASSHE are already well below market, which is why they almost always get first time presidents who leave after 4 years because they can be paid more at a private school with less red tape. They're not going to get someone to take the same discounted rate for the bigger job of managing two campuses. They'll make their savings cutting back on the rank and file folks in operations.

Comment

The BOG may try to frame these three, SRU/BORO, CALU/CUP and LHU/MANS, reconfigurations as joint ventures but my guess is that there will be an alpha member in each. The beta may not be eliminated immediately but over time it will fade.
                                You may be too young to remember when Pittsburgh had three daily papers, but a similar thing happened when the POST GAZETTE merged with the SUN TELEGRAPH. At first the banner heading was virtually equal on the front page. Over 5-10 years the SUN TELEGRAPH words kept shrinking until they disappeared and nobody batted an eye.....other than former newsboys.
                                I don't know how the politics worked in this process but I think they got it wrong. Time will tell.
                                I see that occuring quickly in the Cal/Clarion merger (within 2 years) and mid term in the SRU/Boro merger (5 years or so). I think the Mansfield/Lock Haven merger is the most problomatic of the three mergers. Yes, they are roughly "equals" in that they were equally struggling. Big question is can you make one viable college out of two failing ones? I have some serious doubts. They may limp along with yearly "loans" from the PASSHE but I doubt that they can make it without that annual $ infusion. Problem is, these two schools (or one when they are merged) will siphon off $'s that should be going to help other better performing schools grow and thrive.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X