Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

The BOG may try to frame these three, SRU/BORO, CALU/CUP and LHU/MANS, reconfigurations as joint ventures but my guess is that there will be an alpha member in each. The beta may not be eliminated immediately but over time it will fade.
    You may be too young to remember when Pittsburgh had three daily papers, but a similar thing happened when the POST GAZETTE merged with the SUN TELEGRAPH. At first the banner heading was virtually equal on the front page. Over 5-10 years the SUN TELEGRAPH words kept shrinking until they disappeared and nobody batted an eye.....other than former newsboys.
    I don't know how the politics worked in this process but I think they got it wrong. Time will tell.
    I don't see them closing without a dramatic shift. Sure, Clarion is struggling right now but years ago Cal was too. Things can turn around. No legislator is going to be okay with a voluntarily closing the largest employer in the county. There are shockwaves it would send through the region when the population declines, forcing more cuts in the K-12 districts and possibly losing its hospital, which causes more decline. This is an area that never recovered from the closing of the Owens Corning glass plant. Comparatively speaking, Clarion's immediate community has a lot more going for it than Cal's. But even if they close Cal's campus - what do you do with that? You can't just let it sit and rot. There's not really a market for an isolated campus.

I'm confident Edinboro can turn things around. Their woes are related to leadership turnover, inconsistent strategic visions, and mismanagement of student enrollment. Edinboro should be around 6,000 students right now if not for the mistakes of the past. Ten years ago they had a president who quickly raised enrollment to 8,500 with a plan to get to 10,000. They began building to accommodate that growth. He left for greener pastures and lots of leadership turned over. The next president implemented a different direction - open enrollment - and it caused crazy turnover as students were admitted who couldn't pay or couldn't hack it (i.e. Cheyney). She too left for greener pastures. The following president realized the mess and quickly tightened some belts and implemented the highest admission standard in PASSHE. Things were on track but he was arrogant and ran his mouth into scandal (and ultimately his resignation). With each new president came new leadership, new plans, and different directions. The current president has his head on straight but then Covid hit. If they can get aggressive with recruiting students and invest in a great campus experience, they should recover.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I don't see them closing without a dramatic shift. Sure, Clarion is struggling right now but years ago Cal was too. Things can turn around. No legislator is going to be okay with a voluntarily closing the largest employer in the county. There are shockwaves it would send through the region when the population declines, forcing more cuts in the K-12 districts and possibly losing its hospital, which causes more decline. This is an area that never recovered from the closing of the Owens Corning glass plant. Comparatively speaking, Clarion's immediate community has a lot more going for it than Cal's. But even if they close Cal's campus - what do you do with that? You can't just let it sit and rot. There's not really a market for an isolated campus.

I'm confident Edinboro can turn things around. Their woes are related to leadership turnover, inconsistent strategic visions, and mismanagement of student enrollment. Edinboro should be around 6,000 students right now if not for the mistakes of the past. Ten years ago they had a president who quickly raised enrollment to 8,500 with a plan to get to 10,000. They began building to accommodate that growth. He left for greener pastures and lots of leadership turned over. The next president implemented a different direction - open enrollment - and it caused crazy turnover as students were admitted who couldn't pay or couldn't hack it (i.e. Cheyney). She too left for greener pastures. The following president realized the mess and quickly tightened some belts and implemented the highest admission standard in PASSHE. Things were on track but he was arrogant and ran his mouth into scandal (and ultimately his resignation). With each new president came new leadership, new plans, and different directions. The current president has his head on straight but then Covid hit. If they can get aggressive with recruiting students and invest in a great campus experience, they should recover.

Comment

• There is financial reality and political reality. Most of the time, these two realities are drastically different. Financial reality says that the PASSHE needs to close schools that are not self sustaining and focus their resources on schools that meet the needs of modern Pennsylvania AND have a realistic opportunity to be financially viable moving forward. The political reality is quite a bid different. In political reality, the schools are "make work" efforts for the local economies and as such, must be saved at all cost down to a student enrollment of zero. Political reality is that any politician that let's their little college "make work" enterprise either go under OR be actually subordinated to another school runs a serious risk of being a FORMER politician!!

In someways, this is equivilent to railroad "firemen." Firemen were origionally employed to shovel coal into the boilers of steam locomotives and determine necessary coal loads. Obviously, the need for them has long passed...BUUUUTTTTT, with the help of the union, they can still be found on many of todays diesel locomotives were they are responsible amounts to watching diesel fuel being put into the locomotives tanks and then doing other jobs as assigned by the Engineer. My son works for the railroad and he said that Fireman jobs are about the most do nothing positions on the railroad and most of the jobs go to people with union connections (i.e. the son or son-in-law of a local union boss).

Comment

• West Chester took a late hit. Rider transfer Khalil Turner (6'7" SG) was going to play for the Rams but over the weekend announced he is now headed to Palm Beach State College (JUCO).

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
            West Chester took a late hit. Rider transfer Khalil Turner (6'7" SG) was going to play for the Rams but over the weekend announced he is now headed to Palm Beach State College (JUCO).
            Hmmmm. Philly suburbs or Palm Beach?..?..Philly suburbs or Palm Beach?..?..yeah Palm Beach it is !!

Comment

• Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

Hmmmm. Philly suburbs or Palm Beach?..?..Philly suburbs or Palm Beach?..?..yeah Palm Beach it is !!
              The kid going to a JUCO tells me there is underlying reasons.

Comment

• Mansfield picks up a late edition.

Raimon Burt -- most recently of Tarleton State -- is a 6'8", 220 lb Forward.

He's been all over the place.

He started out at D1 Indiana University Purdue Fort Wayne. He then went to Cloud County Junior College prior to Tarleton. He didn't play last season at Tarleton per their official stats.

... decorated high school career in Albany, NY.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                  Mansfield picks up a late edition.

Raimon Burt -- most recently of Tarleton State -- is a 6'8", 220 lb Forward.

He's been all over the place.

He started out at D1 Indiana University Purdue Fort Wayne. He then went to Cloud County Junior College prior to Tarleton. He didn't play last season at Tarleton per their official stats.

... decorated high school career in Albany, NY.
                  This is the opposite of Khalil Turner. Dallas/Ft Worth metro to MILLERSVILLE ??? There has got to be a back story.

Comment

• With indoor limits in PA of 25, basketball will nearly be impossible. Subs might have to sit in the hallway, or in the locker room. There's 13 players and refs on the court. Add 1 HC and 1 Assistant, for each team, and you're at 17. Table crew is at least 4, which is 21, giving you 2 trainers per team to get to your 25...

Comment

• Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post
                      With indoor limits in PA of 25, basketball will nearly be impossible. Subs might have to sit in the hallway, or in the locker room. There's 13 players and refs on the court. Add 1 HC and 1 Assistant, for each team, and you're at 17. Table crew is at least 4, which is 21, giving you 2 trainers per team to get to your 25...
                      Yet the bars on Philadelphia Street pack hundreds in nightly.

I doubt they play but here's to hoping.

Comment

• Which is probably why they don't play basketball games in bars, in Philly...Stay safe!

Comment

Which is probably why they don't play basketball games in bars, in Philly...Stay safe!
                          Basketball is way safer than a college bar. Even the corona freaks would agree.

Yet, one will be open nightly and the other will get cancelled. Makes sense.

Comment

With indoor limits in PA of 25, basketball will nearly be impossible. Subs might have to sit in the hallway, or in the locker room. There's 13 players and refs on the court. Add 1 HC and 1 Assistant, for each team, and you're at 17. Table crew is at least 4, which is 21, giving you 2 trainers per team to get to your 25...
                            Damn stupid gov in Pa.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sec10-A-14 View Post

Damn stupid gov in Pa.
                              Honestly, he did a great job IMO. Before college kids started going back to campuses, we were not hearing about weddings and parties that have turned into super-spreader events like other places, and his orders are the main reason why...My post was not meant to be critical of his policies...

Comment

• Originally posted by Sec10-A-14 View Post

Damn stupid gov in Pa.
                                I disagree. The hardline stance on the number is the problem. I think the games could be played with some accommodations: no fans, game table staff spaced out, benches spaced out, etc. But the PIAA is trying to play as if its any other year. If they had proposed a way to make it happen with accommodations, I imagine he would have decided it. This is what happened with restaurants and breweries. Through their trade associations, they proposed adjusted guidelines and the governor consented.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X