Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Who determines the COY Award? Do the coaches vote?
    According to the PSAC All-Conference Awards structure, it's determined by a vote of the coaches.

Comment

When coaches vote it's typically a popularity conference.
      One thing working against Wilson is the ESU style of play. When you play a full-game press and are constantly shuttling players in and out, they don't accumulate the type of statistics that gain individual recognition. There were no ESU players among the top 25 in minutes played this season. Wilson had a very good depth of talent this year and should have a strong team next season.

Comment

Ship69 is more even-handed than myself, as has been pointed out elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by jrshooter View Post
          Ship69 is more even-handed than myself, as has been pointed out elsewhere.

Comment

The interesting thing is the criteria (if there is any) seemed off.

Lombardi went 26-2, won the West and is ranked No. 1 in the Region -- and overcame a massive injury. No idea how a case can be made Manchel had a better year than Redshirt Joe.

What's the definition of Coach of the Year? If it's winning through extreme adversity, Jeff Wilson certainly was the front-runner. If it's just winning, Lombardi was certainly the front-runner. Neither won, bottom line. These are the reasons message boards exist.

Comment

Lombardi went 26-2, won the West and is ranked No. 1 in the Region -- and overcame a massive injury. No idea how a case can be made Manchel had a better year than Redshirt Joe.

What's the definition of Coach of the Year? If it's winning through extreme adversity, Jeff Wilson certainly was the front-runner. If it's just winning, Lombardi was certainly the front-runner. Neither won, bottom line. These are the reasons message boards exist.

Comment

I have nothing against their accomplishment. They have the best collection of talent in the East. To not have won the division would have been inexplicable...A perfect illustration of my point is out west, where Joe Lombardi put together the best team in the West, but he didn't win COY honors...

Comment

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

One thing working against Wilson is the ESU style of play. When you play a full-game press and are constantly shuttling players in and out, they don't accumulate the type of statistics that gain individual recognition. There were no ESU players among the top 25 in minutes played this season. Wilson had a very good depth of talent this year and should have a strong team next season.
                  I would think that would work in his favor. not against him...

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

I would think that would work in his favor. not against him...
                    Actually, not so much. Wilson had a lot of talent on that club. I think they will definitely be one of the teams to beat next year. For that matter, they're in the running this year. Imagine if Biss had been playing 25 minutes a game at ESU vs. 35 minutes a game at Ship. Would he have been first-team PSAC? Maybe. Maybe not.

Comment

Fair or not, Coach of the year is usually a proxy for "most overachieving team." The team that most exceeded expectations.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X