Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

That's the first step, of course, but who cares what those a-holes say. This is headed for court. Guarantee it.
    I agree but I dont see a court overruling it. If a team didnt make playoffs, which is more than not, their season was over already and if a court says yes teams involved with postseason can bring back seniors etc those other teams are going to then petition for it and then it just opens it that any school will try for any reason and use this as their grounds. One of those can of worms that is easier to co train by just keeping it simple and pissing off less than more.

Comment

Originally posted by bballfan03 View Post

I agree but I dont see a court overruling it. If a team didnt make playoffs, which is more than not, their season was over already and if a court says yes teams involved with postseason can bring back seniors etc those other teams are going to then petition for it and then it just opens it that any school will try for any reason and use this as their grounds. One of those can of worms that is easier to co train by just keeping it simple and pissing off less than more.
      That clarifies things, the fact that giving every regional entry a leg up on the next season is going to be fought. As much as I feel terribly for the student-athletes missing this opportunity, they've got to be even-handed with this.

Now, if they want to give all seniors in spring sports an extra year, that's a different story. That is one size fits all.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

As of 5:13 pm eastern time, according to the CDC, there are 39 U.S. deaths and 1,323 confirmed cases in the U.S. That's about 3% mortality rate. That is high as hell. In fact, it's about 30 times higher than influenza (over many years, many strains).

Granted, that is probably not accurate because a lot of people have it but are not reporting it, so those cases are not confirmed cases.

The media has only reported actual rates, pertinent information about the virus, and what officials say about it all. That's their job.

Please post the media "hype" because I haven't seen it. Thanks.
        That figured is driven by the 30 deaths in one place -- the Washington nursing home. The 1,323 is a relatively small denominator.

Comment

Originally posted by jrshooter View Post

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/11/top-...in-the-us.html

Look, I know you don't like hearing what you're hearing. I don't like hearing it either. That doesn't make it false.

Comment

But dude ... you aren't going to win anything if you're right.

I'm choosing to listen to higher minds than myself on something like this.

Comment

Originally posted by jrshooter View Post
              But dude ... you aren't going to win anything if you're right.

I'm choosing to listen to higher minds than myself on something like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Golden89 View Post

That figured is driven by the 30 deaths in one place -- the Washington nursing home. The 1,323 is a relatively small denominator.
                The actual cases are probably at least 3X higher, which would bring the mortality percentages much lower than 3%.

Comment

Originally posted by Golden89 View Post

You are correct about both your points. We are talking about what appears to be a small denominator and then layering on approximately half the deaths occuring in one isolated location. Sure, a reporter can say he's just reporting the official numbers and probably sleep well at night. But reporters are supposed to give context to the numbers. If I am a reporter living in a small town of 10 people were one person is killed, I can correctly report that one person died...If I want to get clicks on my papers web site, I can ALSO report that the "homicide rate" in my little town is 10,000 (homicide rates are traditionally reported in deaths per 100,000)...And if I'm really looking for some clicks on my papers web page, I could "extrapolate" a nationwide homicide number of 3,700,000 in the US.

Some more food for thought, the population of the Wuhan metro area is 19 million. If you assume that every case of Corona in China so far has occured in Wuhan that is an infection rate of less than 1/2 of 1 percent. Playing the extrapolation game and applying that rate to the rest of China, that is 7,200,000 Chinese that will get Corona AND if you further extrapolate a death rate of 3.5% that's 252,000 deaths...China has been dealing with Corona longer than any country and they currently have 3,150 deaths.

Comment

I've seen some reports coming out of Italy, and if some of you want to think this is nothing, be my guest. And Italy reacted to this much faster than we have. So did China. We really have no idea what's going on in the U.S., because very few people have actually been tested. Countries such as Senegal, with a per capita income of $3,000, are getting tests back within hours while in most areas of our country few tests are available.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post
                      I've seen some reports coming out of Italy, and if some of you want to think this is nothing, be my guest. And Italy reacted to this much faster than we have. So did China. We really have no idea what's going on in the U.S., because very few people have actually been tested. Countries such as Senegal, with a per capita income of $3,000, are getting tests back within hours while in most areas of our country few tests are available.
                      Last edited by IUP24; 03-13-2020, 04:54 AM.

Comment

• You seem to be betting a lot on things which you are obviously not an expert about.

I'm not pressing the panic button. I'm merely listening to what's out there on both sides.

https://healthblog.uofmhealth.org/we...ijP9hga21YbjG8

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post
                          I don't think anyone is saying this is nothing, just that it is not as apocoliptic as some think/hope it will be. Your point about the number of people tested is well taken...THAT'S part of what I've been saying about people who extrapolate "death rates." Also seemingly unknown (or unreported) is the raw number of people tested. We hear all day every day about how there are no test kits or people wanting to be tested can't get tested. What is rarely if ever reported is the % of the US population that has been tested. Is it 1%...is it 2...is it 50%? 1800 confirmed cases when you have tested 1% of the population is quite a bit different than 1800 cases if you have tested 50% of the population. The US, I think incorrectly, incorporates a two part testing strategy...The first step in this process is the Doctor who screens you for indication of infection/exposure. If you don't exibit any symptoms (fever, cough, respiratory symptoms) OR indicate that you are in an at risk group (80+, doctor/nurse/EMT, police officer, firefighter), you don't move on to step 2 which is the actual test. Also worth noting, Corona test (any virus test for that matter) is a "point specific" test. A person can test clear on Monday morning and on the way home from the Doctors stop by McDonalds for a Big Mac and catch Corona.

Concerning testing in Senegal, I would note that Senegal doesn't have the same medical regulation/testing requirements as the US does.
                          Last edited by boatcapt; 03-13-2020, 09:38 AM.

Comment

• Telling ya ... don't rule out this theory that these kids -- under special circumstances -- could get another season of eligibility.

Comment

• Comment

• Unique circumstances bring about unique decisions. I just wouldn't rule it out. The subject is getting a lot of national buzz.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X