Fairmont State 73

Shippensburg 71% probability of winning

West Liberty 95
    Virginia State 83

West Liberty 86% probability of winning

Charleston 65
    Mercyhurst 63

Charleston 54% probability of winning

And the Massey Atlantic "Top 10" on the eve of the Regional's (Actual seeding in para):

1. IUP (1)
    2. WLU (2)
    3. UC (3)
    4. Ship (4)
    5. Hurst (6)
    6. E Stroud (NR)
    7. Fairmont (5)
    8. Fayetville (NR)

9. Va State (7)
    10. Cal (NR)

WSSU (8) is #13.

So...According to Massey, the games SHOULD be:

IUP vs Fayetville, Predicted Score: 75-62 IUP
    WLU vs Fairmont, 100-85 WLU
    UC vs E Stroud, 74-71 UC
    Ship vs Hurst, 64-62 Ship

Comment

Regionals at West Liberty:

WLU vs Va State, 5:00 tip Friday night.
      UC vs Hurst, 7:30 tip Friday.

Regional Semi Final tips at 7:00 Saturday evening.

Comment

I think all four match-ups are interesting.

IUP/WSSU - Each is unfamiliar with the other. Different leagues ... different styles of play. Two league champions. Both are coming in red hot. Both are loaded at the guard position. IUP is undefeated at home this year. Both are ranked in the Top 9 nationally in defense.

Ship/FSU - Fairmont won by 12 in Joe Retton. Ship struggled with the press in the first meeting and committed 20 turnovers. That was a long time ago, however. Both were pretty hot down the stretch. Ship's been in a shooting funk now for a couple weeks. Guessing the team that stays the cleanest -- foul-wise -- wins this game. Straight up this is a pretty even contest. This should be a de facto home game for Shippensburg. The Raiders travel well.

Mercyhurst/Charleston - Always interesting to see a team play Mercyhurst for the first time. It's very difficult to mimic that match-up zone in practice -- and the Lakers' style and speed of play will be drastically different than anything Charleston has seen this year. Charleston is the better offensive team, but many strong offenses have vanished against Gary Manchel. Charleston also has the make-up to play a slower game. Roster-wise they are similar to top PSAC teams. Charleston has to get Mercyhurt's big man in foul trouble (just as Ship did this past weekend). With their injury situation, the Lakers become a much different team when Cameron Gross has to come out of the game for long stretches. He was limited to just 14 minutes against Ship.

Virginia State/West Liberty - Playing on the Hilltop in front of a raucous crowd isn't an easy task. WL's home winning percentage over the past decade is one of the best in the entire NCAA (all levels). These two met in the 2016 and 2019 NCAAs. WL won both -- the first by 10 points and last year by 2 points. VSU is well-coached and will have a tremendous size advantage in this year's edition. But, being under-sized is nothing new to WL. VSU has to play its game. If they get sucked in to a track meet on WL's home floor ... it will be one-and-done. If you look at the teams that beat WL this year, there is a correlation to Virginia State. I'd like VSU's chances much better on a neutral floor.

Comment

Had the WSSU game been on Saturday, alot of us would have made the trip.

Why play Friday and Saturday and then wait to play again until Tuesday.

Brackets showed 1st round could have been Friday or Saturday. Is IUP trying to ensure home court advantage?

Comment

Originally posted by willicor View Post
            Had the WSSU game been on Saturday, alot of us would have made the trip.

Why play Friday and Saturday and then wait to play again until Tuesday.

Brackets showed 1st round could have been Friday or Saturday. Is IUP trying to ensure home court advantage?
            The whole Atlantic (Men's and Women's) are playing Friday/Saturday and then Tuesday. IUP didn't dictate the schedule (NCAA did). Well, they kind of did by having the men and women both get the No. 1 seeds. So, ultimately that's what has this all out of whack. This dynamic has very rarely happened in history. Some schools (West Liberty men and Gannon women) are elated by it.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
              IUP 74
              Winston-Salem 60

IUP 90% probability of winning
              Wow, that's so disrespectful towards WSSU, you IUP fans sure are full of yourselves!

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
              And the Massey Atlantic "Top 10" on the eve of the Regional's (Actual seeding in para):

1. IUP (1)
              2. WLU (2)
              3. UC (3)
              4. Ship (4)
              5. Hurst (6)
              6. E Stroud (NR)
              7. Fairmont (5)
              8. Fayetville (NR)

9. Va State (7)
              10. Cal (NR)

WSSU (8) is #13.
              If ESU had beaten VSU way early on in the season, I have no doubts we'd be in. But that's just the way it goes.

Comment

The whole Atlantic (Men's and Women's) are playing Friday/Saturday and then Tuesday. IUP didn't dictate the schedule (NCAA did). Well, they kind of did by having the men and women both get the No. 1 seeds. So, ultimately that's what has this all out of whack. This dynamic has very rarely happened in history. Some schools (West Liberty men and Gannon women) are elated by it.

Comment

Originally posted by EastStroud13 View Post
                  Wow, that's so disrespectful towards WSSU, you IUP fans sure are full of yourselves!

If ESU had beaten VSU way early on in the season, I have no doubts we'd be in. But that's just the way it goes.
                  I disagree. The 4 game losing streak against Millersville, Bloomsburg, Shippensburg and Shepherd was far more hurtful to the Warriors chances of making regionals. If we win ANY two of those 4, things would be much different.

Comment

Originally posted by EastStroud13 View Post

Those predictions are from an actual Web Site (not us IUP fans). Ever heard of Massey? Check it out.

Comment

Those predictions are from an actual Web Site (not us IUP fans). Ever heard of Massey? Check it out.

Comment

Had we lost to ESU this past weekend (men or women) ... we'd still be hearing about it. How many negative posts went out after IUP swept ESU this weekend? I'll wait or the answer. When you spell the number out it starts with a 'Z'

Comment

My sarcasm apparently didn't translate well.

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

I disagree. The 4 game losing streak against Millersville, Bloomsburg, Shippensburg and Shepherd was far more hurtful to the Warriors chances of making regionals. If we win ANY two of those 4, things would be much different.
                          I disagree in turn. ESU was ranked behind VSU pretty much only because of head-to-head. With that tiebreaker, they get the 7 seed. It's that simple.

Comment

I'm glad VSU scheduled quality non-conference games. Kudos to VSU! May it continue.

I'm going to be realistic. I'm only expecting to be there for the Friday night. I don't think WSSU or VSU gets past the first round. VSU definitely has a better shot than WSSU of moving on.

I really hope the tournament doesn't get cancelled due to the corona virus. Fingers crossed.

What is really bothering me is the match ups on the women's side. Bowie vs VUU in the first round? Travesty! I'm so disgusted with the NCAA. This should not be allowed.

Comment

Originally posted by GoVSUTrojans View Post
                              I'm glad VSU scheduled quality non-conference games. Kudos to VSU! May it continue.

I'm going to be realistic. I'm only expecting to be there for the Friday night. I don't think WSSU or VSU gets past the first round. VSU definitely has a better shot than WSSU of moving on.

I really hope the tournament doesn't get cancelled due to the corona virus. Fingers crossed.

What is really bothering me is the match ups on the women's side. Bowie vs VUU in the first round? Travesty! I'm so disgusted with the NCAA. This should not be allowed.
                              They BUTCHERED the first round of the women's side. Awful.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X