Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

That's a really odd choice. Why not use Wesbanco in Wheeling (much closer to hotels, restaurants, etc.)?

Nicer arena. Better amenities. Less travel.

ASRC is a cool gym but it's not an arena. I assume all the hotels are downtown Wheeling.
    I think they've used the Wilson Lodge at Oglebay Park (about halfway up the hill to WLU) for accommodations in the past. But, yes, teams staying there still have to go into town for meals presumably.

Comment

• Schools had to submit a formal bid to host, where they have to respond to various requirements. Given that fan attendance might not be allowed, some arenas might choose to no-bid. Good bid response wlu. Congrats!

Comment

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
        Schools had to submit a formal bid to host, where they have to respond to various requirements. Given that fan attendance might not be allowed, some arenas might choose to no-bid. Good bid response wlu. Congrats!
        Good point. Why would an arena want to host it ... no money to be made.

Comment

Good point. Why would an arena want to host it ... no money to be made.
          Great point, might as well let the little hicktown host.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

I wonder if they weighted responses with a viable bubble approach. The relatively rural location might have given wlu an edge. Would be interesting to know if any psac schools bid. Iup and cal are great venues.

Comment

I wonder if they weighted responses with a viable bubble approach. The relatively rural location might have given wlu an edge. Would be interesting to know if any psac schools bid. Iup and cal are great venues.
              Why would IUP bid if they aren't playing and no revenue coming in from it?

Comment

Without ticket sales or concessions .... they wouldn't bit it. No money to be made.

Comment

Without ticket sales or concessions .... they wouldn't bit it. No money to be made.
                  Good points. PR exposure for hosting a regional and having eyeballs see a beautiful venue is a tenuous benefit at best. I would think the "no money to be made" is a constant, regardless of the location. The variable is the magnitude of the loss. I wonder if any other schools that have a high ranking team submitted a bid to host, like Findlay?
                  The financial loss of hosting may have greatly reduced the bids. WLU might have been practically the last man standing.
                  Probably will never know.

Comment

• Clarion 33 Gannon 32 at Half...

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

I have it from a reliable source at IUP that since no one was using it, the Gov directed that the heat be turned off in the Kovalachic as a cost savings move. Unfortuanatly the pipes burst in the basement over Christmas break and no one was on campus to realized it! A local dog-walker was walking past the building last Wednesday and alerted the one IUP employee at work that day. Unfortunantly for IUP, the NCAA took that into consideration when picking the site for the Atlantic Regionals.

Comment

• With the inclusion of the GMAC in the Atlantic, coupled with the lack of any PSAC East partisipation, WLU made sense. Centrally located for the schools that may be partisipating.ack record of putting on such events.

Comment

• Erie Insurance Arena ( seats @ 7,800 ) in Erie, Pa... of course.
                          Will be hosting Women's D1, National Hockey Championships.
                          No Fans allowed
                          Mercyhurst D1 (M & W) Hockey will be host school & were awarded last yr.
                          All 8 playoff teams will in Erie March 15 thru 21

Comment

• Originally posted by Sec10-A-14 View Post
                            Erie Insurance Arena ( seats @ 7,800 ) in Erie, Pa... of course.
                            Will be hosting Women's D1, National Hockey Championships.
                            No Fans allowed
                            Mercyhurst D1 (M & W) Hockey will be host school & were awarded last yr.
                            All 8 playoff teams will in Erie March 15 thru 21
                            Dumbest move ever to rent that place out for a regional with no fans and no revenue! Hockey has no choice because that deal was done before Covid but basketball... NO WAY!!!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X