X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUP24
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrub View Post

Well, dang it all if my memory didn't play a trick on me. Now that I've looked back, I was conflating two different games (smashed into one great highlight in my mind). I do have a pretty clear recollection of Marcel missing key free throws (which appears to have happened in 2014). And that is likely the same game that ended with Yarde on the line. The Renkin heave was 2011 it turns out. He grabbed a long offensive rebound after someone else missed a pretty good look to tie (might have been Ashton Smith?) and he heaved up an off-balance shot at the horn that rimmed off.
    I have no recollection. I was in high school at the time and didn't know anything about IUP basketball lol.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

And the end of his career here.
    I think IUPatty's 2015 was actually the end of his career.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

Refresh me on that... That game ended with Manny Yarde at the line. There was no time on the clock and IUP was down two. Yarde was fouled at the buzzer. He hit the first shot and missed the second. That was the end of the game.
    And the end of his career here.

Leave a comment:

• Scrub
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

Refresh me on that... That game ended with Manny Yarde at the line. There was no time on the clock and IUP was down two. Yarde was fouled at the buzzer. He hit the first shot and missed the second. That was the end of the game.
    Well, dang it all if my memory didn't play a trick on me. Now that I've looked back, I was conflating two different games (smashed into one great highlight in my mind). I do have a pretty clear recollection of Marcel missing key free throws (which appears to have happened in 2014). And that is likely the same game that ended with Yarde on the line. The Renkin heave was 2011 it turns out. He grabbed a long offensive rebound after someone else missed a pretty good look to tie (might have been Ashton Smith?) and he heaved up an off-balance shot at the horn that rimmed off.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied

It's funny how the memory works. I have VERY clear memories of Marcel's missed free throws, and of Scooter's last second heave in 2014. I can't, for the life of me, conjure in my memory Norfleet's game winner in 2015. Couldn't even tell you what part of the floor he was on (was it a corner shot from in front of his own bench--I have a foggy recollection of something like that, but I couldn't say with any kind of certainty). Repression at work, I suppose! : )

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied

It's funny how the memory works. I have VERY clear memories of Marcel's missed free throws, and of Scooter's last second heave in 2014. I can't, for the life of me, conjure in my memory Norfleet's game winner in 2015. Couldn't even tell you what part of the floor he was on (was it a corner shot from in front of his own bench--I have a foggy recollection of something like that, but I couldn't say with any kind of certainty). Repression at work, I suppose! : )
    Corner directly across from the bench. The camera was mounted pretty close to the IUP section. When the shot fell the camera was shaking. I was at the game, but to watch that back on the highlight is pretty cool. IUP traveled really well for that game. Probably wasn't enough reserved seats for them given the number that came down.

The shot is at about 1:45.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaHD7WgIeUc

Leave a comment:

• Scrub
    replied
    I've watched, in person, probably 200+ IUP football games and -- and I don't even want to know how many basketball games. I can name about 5 in each sport that stand out. The rest, while seeming important at the time, fade away. Not all wins, by the way.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied

IUP clobbered them on the glass that night and WL only got the FT line for 7 attempts the whole game.

It was a classic.

That multiple OT game the year before was, too. WL won that one by a point. That game never should have went to OT. IUP missed two huge FTs in the final minute. Still painful.
    Joe coached a great game in 2015. If the shot was there early, take it. If not.... Sit at the top of the key with Chance dribbling until 10 seconds left on the shot clock and then run the play. Even though West Liberty played well, you knew they were frustrated. IUP was the first team to beat them doing that. It's now become a copycat model for PSAC teams who have played them tough or beaten them. They were never able to push the tempo that night. There was only one point in the game where WL had one of those 3 straight possessions of buried three pointers where you get nothing on your trip down the court. Joe called a TO and everything then just calmed down.

That's probably the best game he's ever coached.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied

IUP clobbered them on the glass that night and WL only got the FT line for 7 attempts the whole game.

It was a classic.

That multiple OT game the year before was, too. WL won that one by a point. That game never should have went to OT. IUP missed two huge FTs in the final minute. Still painful.
    The terrible thing about that 2014 game was that there was never a time in that game that IUP didn't control every component of it, despite being down by 3 in the closing seconds of the second OT (when Marcel hit that fade away corner 3 at the buzzer).

There were two moments at the end of regulation... They were up by I think 4 with about 1:57 left to play. Marcel went to the line and missed the front end of a one and one. On the ensuing trip down the court, Shawn Dyer hit a 3 for WL. I still think back to that moment. Marcel was a senior, two time captain, etc... Gotta make those two shots.

Jeremy Jeffers missed both free throws as well in the final minute, but he was never good at the line. I was hoping for one of two.

I want to think better memories though. Especially during trying times. That 2015 game...

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied

It was a classic.

Yeah, I remember that one very good as well. They sure got together for some great games for half a decade or so there. D-II hoops didn't get any better than that!

-

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

Good Lord! That is some stat there. Unreal to have team stats like that and still lose. That just doesn't happen.

-

It was a classic.

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied
    Good Lord! That is some stat there. Unreal to have team stats like that and still lose. That just doesn't happen.

-

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied
    Heck...Joe has even purposely tanked the season twice since 2015 to avoid having the chance of facing the Toppers in the Atlantic Regional tourney!!

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
    And IUP has been dodging WLU ever since. Last year you lost on purpose the round before having to face the Toppers and this year IUP scientists created a global pandemic to cancel the whole DII tourney rather taking a chance of facing, and losing to, WLU!!

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied
    And IUP has been dodging WLU ever since. Last year you lost on purpose the round before having to face the Toppers and this year IUP scientists created a global pandemic to cancel the whole DII tourney rather taking a chance of facing, and losing to, WLU!!

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X