Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CALUPA69
    replied
    VULCANS add another for the tentative '20-'21 season....

https://mobile.twitter.com/CALU_mbb

4A 2nd team All State averaged 20.9 ppg

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Norris
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Right. The attendance numbers are the same. Lol.

IUP averaged more than 2,000 a game this year and had five straight over 3,000.

That's like 10 home games at Cal.
    Never let the facts get in the way of a good message board burn.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Right. The attendance numbers are the same. Lol.

IUP averaged more than 2,000 a game this year and had five straight over 3,000.

That's like 10 home games at Cal.

Leave a comment:

• Feedoggie
    replied
    Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
    Soooo...It looks like the Regional Finals last year at the KSAC??

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Correct. Look at your new boy, Boswell. This is his third school -- and he quit on his most recent team this year in mid-Feb.

The last three big departures from Cal left after their true freshmen year. I wouldn't really call an 18-year-old real loyal after just one year. California isn't exactly a thrilling college town, either. Players notice playing in a 6,000 seat funeral home in front of 127 people, too. The Angelo Dome looks cool on a recruiting visit -- but terrible on game night when it's empty.
    Soooo...It looks like the Regional Finals last year at the KSAC??

Leave a comment:

• CALUPA69
    replied

Correct. Look at your new boy, Boswell. This is his third school -- and he quit on his most recent team this year in mid-Feb.

The last three big departures from Cal left after their true freshmen year. I wouldn't really call an 18-year-old real loyal after just one year. California isn't exactly a thrilling college town, either. Players notice playing in a 6,000 seat funeral home in front of 127 people, too. The Angelo Dome looks cool on a recruiting visit -- but terrible on game night when it's empty.
    It was planned that way for social distancing !!!

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

Unless you're talking about a bench player on his family's or community's choice, where he can bask in the glory of 4 years as a practice dummy, then yes that's probably the case. On an established or up and coming team, players #8-11 can find another program where they will start even if the team itself is not that successful. And players like MACADAMS or HOUSE simply use their opportunity to showcase the talent that they likely felt was overlooked to begin with.
    I don't know if others share this view but this tendency to move seems to be creeping into WBB, though at a much slower pace. As evidenced by this news story, the fans of the ALBRIGHT LIONS WBB are not too pleased with JESS STROM right now.
    https://www.readingeagle.com/college...53a74a0fa.html
    Don't know that the MON VALLEY is a big step up from READING, but sometimes perception is everything.
    Said she's never been on the Cal campus. Amazing.

Leave a comment:

• CALUPA69
    replied
    Unless you're talking about a bench player on his family's or community's choice, where he can bask in the glory of 4 years as a practice dummy, then yes that's probably the case. On an established or up and coming team, players #8-11 can find another program where they will start even if the team itself is not that successful. And players like MACADAMS or HOUSE simply use their opportunity to showcase the talent that they likely felt was overlooked to begin with.
    I don't know if others share this view but this tendency to move seems to be creeping into WBB, though at a much slower pace. As evidenced by this news story, the fans of the ALBRIGHT LIONS WBB are not too pleased with JESS STROM right now.
    https://www.readingeagle.com/college...53a74a0fa.html
    Don't know that the MON VALLEY is a big step up from READING, but sometimes perception is everything.

Leave a comment:

• Feedoggie
    replied

Leave a comment:

• CALUPA69
    replied

They should have been upper-tier this past season. Sancomb had an awful lot of success prior to the Mon Valley. I doubt he's any different now than he was at Wheeling Jesuit. Sounds like he just recruited a lot of whiny players.
    For a lot of his players at WJU there was the pride of attending a respected private institution which I suspect was a big deal for their parents as well. Unless a state school is able to develop the a reputation like VULCANS WBB or either of the IUP teams, there is much less in the way of a reason to hang around for a degree.
    As for last season they could have done better W/L wise but the relationships were too new, IMO, to expect them to be elite. I was content with dangerous. Time will tell as far as DS long term, but we are light years beyond the latter BROWN era.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
    I wasn't totally discounting that factor but he could live in the South Hills and take the better part of an hour commuting. From my discussions with the Dad of one of last year's class it feels like something more to do with DS personality/coaching style. But none of us are in the locker room so who knows. It's disappointing, but in no way will I second guess his hiring. I still expect progress toward upper tier status this coming. season
    They should have been upper-tier this past season. Sancomb had an awful lot of success prior to the Mon Valley. I doubt he's any different now than he was at Wheeling Jesuit. Sounds like he just recruited a lot of whiny players.

Leave a comment:

• CALUPA69
    replied
    Originally posted by Feedoggie View Post

Scrub, You hit the nail on the head. This was what I was referring to.
    Thanks, You have a good day.
    I wasn't totally discounting that factor but he could live in the South Hills and take the better part of an hour commuting. From my discussions with the Dad of one of last year's class it feels like something more to do with DS personality/coaching style. But none of us are in the locker room so who knows. It's disappointing, but in no way will I second guess his hiring. I still expect progress toward upper tier status this coming. season

Leave a comment:

• Feedoggie
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrub View Post

If we're picking nits, that commute is probably about 70 minutes (I've done it on multiple occasions). But I think Fee's point is that some basketball teams function like a "family." There's an atmosphere of that type around the team (i.e., dinners at coach's house, playing cards in the athletic department lounge, etc.). And it is likely harder to do those sorts of small but important "family" things when the patriarch is 70 minutes away. It might not be the biggest factor, but I'm not sure Fee is wrong to identify it as at least one possible factor.
    Scrub, You hit the nail on the head. This was what I was referring to.
    Thanks, You have a good day.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrub View Post

If we're picking nits, that commute is probably about 70 minutes (I've done it on multiple occasions). But I think Fee's point is that some basketball teams function like a "family." There's an atmosphere of that type around the team (i.e., dinners at coach's house, playing cards in the athletic department lounge, etc.). And it is likely harder to do those sorts of small but important "family" things when the patriarch is 70 minutes away. It might not be the biggest factor, but I'm not sure Fee is wrong to identify it as at least one possible factor.
    Who knows. They knew where he lived when they hired him. I will say this the first time I've ever heard about a coach losing players due to his daily commute.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X