Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Most dominant basketball player

MJ and LeBron and Kobe are Incredible players at their position. But one stands alone in terms of dominance - Wilt Chamberlain.
    he averaged 50 points and 25 rebounds for a season. He averaged 48 mins a game which is physically incredible.
    NBA made 4 rules to make it harder for him to score while making it easier for the above players who came after he retired to score. Wilt had to play when the hand check was legal.

In addition he may have been the greatest athlete ever in terms of height, strength and speed. His basketball iq was incredible.

All these GOAT discussions are really about who is # 2. Wilt stands alone. Just look at the record books.

if you have doubts, I suggest U YouTube him and listen to stories about him by people who know the game.
    coach Larry brown tells an incredible story about summer pickup games at UCLA after wilt retired against magic johnson. Awesome.

Wilt was before my time. But yeah, guys like him and Bill Russell were the equivalent of what Jim Brown must have been to the NFL. I guess we could mention Pistol Pete at LSU among the best to ever play the game. On a side note---Chamberlain also played a great part in the movie Conan The Destroyer from 1984.

Best players that I ever saw play basketball?

Magic Johnson- Amazing and downright magical with the basketball in his hands. My personal favorite of all-time.

Michael Jordan- His Airness was undoubtedly pound for pound the greatest hoops player in the long history of the universe.

Larry Bird- Larry Legend in his prime was something to see.

Probably a lot of really great players out there I could name, but those were the ones that transcended the sport when I was growing up. I'll never forget watching them!

-

Comment

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
      Wilt was before my time. But yeah, guys like him and Bill Russell were the equivalent of what Jim Brown must have been to the NFL. I guess we could mention Pistol Pete at LSU among the best to ever play the game. On a side note---Chamberlain also played a great part in the movie Conan The Destroyer from 1984.

Best players that I ever saw play basketball?

Magic Johnson- Amazing and downright magical with the basketball in his hands. My personal favorite of all-time.

Michael Jordan- His Airness was undoubtedly pound for pound the greatest hoops player in the long history of the universe.

Larry Bird- Larry Legend in his prime was something to see.

Probably a lot of really great players out there I could name, but those were the ones that transcended the sport when I was growing up. I'll never forget watching them!

-

i really liked magic and bird because they emphasized passing as much as scoring. Unselfish.
      u might enjoy this story about magic.
      https://youtu.be/PN0Q3KcKA_E

u mentioned Conan. Great story by Arnold on wilt. He said big guys in gym do 110-120 lbs in tricep extension. Wilt would do 150-170 in his 40s. NJ nets called him about backup center role at age 50.

100 points in one game.

55 rebounds in one game against Russell and Celtics. Led nba in assists one year. Could grab a quarter off top of backboard. Often won games of horse against teammates.

Comment

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
        i really liked magic and bird because they emphasized passing as much as scoring. Unselfish.
        u might enjoy this story about magic.
        https://youtu.be/PN0Q3KcKA_E

u mentioned Conan. Great story by Arnold on wilt. He said big guys in gym do 110-120 lbs in tricep extension. Wilt would do 150-170 in his 40s. NJ nets called him about backup center role at age 50.

100 points in one game.

55 rebounds in one game against Russell and Celtics. Led nba in assists one year. Could grab a quarter off top of backboard. Often won games of horse against teammates.

All pretty amazing stuff. He was no doubt incredible. But it was Bill Russell who got the cameo on Miami Vice back in the '80s. LOL.

-

Comment

Comment

Others agree with you that he would have dominated today. Walt "Clyde" Frazier of NY Knicks and NBA Hall of Fame said Wilt would average 70 points a game today. The reason is no hand checking is allowed, which is just a polite way to pushing against the guy to deny movement. They even did it to guards. Much harder to score. IMHO, excessive hand checking precipitated a lot of fights in the NBA.

Late in his career, he blocked 3 successive shots of Kareem, including sky hooks.

He was gentle and was concerned about hurting people. Once Johnny Kerr was under the goal when he dunked. The ball hit Kerr's toe and broke it.
            There were big physical centers in those days - Walt Bellamy, Big bob lanier of the pistons, Artis Gilmore could all move. They allowed much more physical play them.
            Wilt purportedly benched 465 in his 50s, which is more than Shaq ever did.
            Last edited by Columbuseer; 04-07-2020, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
            Working...
            X