Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scrub View Post

I hope Wheeling considers it. That would be a blast!
    He inquired about it last time.

Since this is a yearly thing now ... maybe next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrub View Post

I hope Wheeling considers it. That would be a blast!
      Every time this happens I'd imagine it gets just that much harder to recruit the next Coach on the Carousel.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

Every time this happens I'd imagine it gets just that much harder to recruit the next Coach on the Carousel.
        OR...Potential coaches could see that every time this happens, Wheeling get's a little bit better...and inspite of predictions from the experts, Wheeling was a plus 500 team last year and has a good ypung roster.

Don't know what tomorrow holds, but typically when a coach leaves, the next business day the transfer portal received 4 or 5 (minimum) players from that team looking to leave. I note that as of 5:15 pm today, no Wheeling players seem to have put their name in the portal.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

OR...Potential coaches could see that every time this happens, Wheeling get's a little bit better...and inspite of predictions from the experts, Wheeling was a plus 500 team last year and has a good ypung roster.

Don't know what tomorrow holds, but typically when a coach leaves, the next business day the transfer portal received 4 or 5 (minimum) players from that team looking to leave. I note that as of 5:15 pm today, no Wheeling players seem to have put their name in the portal.
          Ever the optimist. It would be nice if these players could have a bit of stability in their careers. SANCOMB '17-18' Freshman 3-9 stayed when PECKINPAUGH was named. They left when he left. PECKINPAUGH '18-'19 Freshman 5 of 15 stayed when RYAN was named. To be determined if any of those 5 will stay when ???? is named. It has got to be really difficult to get this all together when changing coaches after a good deal of the recruiting season is over each year. I would think they should probably consider an alum, other than him, who might actually care about the school.

Comment

Ever the optimist. It would be nice if these players could have a bit of stability in their careers. SANCOMB '17-18' Freshman 3-9 stayed when PECKINPAUGH was named. They left when he left. PECKINPAUGH '18-'19 Freshman 5 of 15 stayed when RYAN was named. To be determined if any of those 5 will stay when ???? is named. It has got to be really difficult to get this all together when changing coaches after a good deal of the recruiting season is over each year. I would think they should probably consider an alum, other than him, who might actually care about the school.
            The best hire WU could make would be Jordan Fee from Nova Southeastern. From the region which would help in recruting, would be a new HC so probably would not on anyones "short list" for immediate hire the next year, proven winner who learned from Crutch as a player and now as a coach. If you want to see a comp...look up the hill at WLU's Ben Howlett.

That hire would certainly amp up the WLU/Wheeling basketball rivalry to 11!!!

Comment

The best hire WU could make would be Jordan Fee from Nova Southeastern. From the region which would help in recruting, would be a new HC so probably would not on anyones "short list" for immediate hire the next year, proven winner who learned from Crutch as a player and now as a coach. If you want to see a comp...look up the hill at WLU's Ben Howlett.

That hire would certainly amp up the WLU/Wheeling basketball rivalry to 11!!!
              Next best thing to an alum is a former rival so I'd say that would be a nice get. If he's interested.

Comment

Becky Burke is leaving University of Charleston to take a D1 job at SC-Upstate. She won 48 games in two years.
                Last edited by JDonAB92; 06-09-2020, 08:21 PM.

Comment

As June creeps toward July, the HR page of WU still lists HEAD COACH, MENS BASKETBALL minimum requirements BA and 3 years as a collegiate assistant. Also listed 16 Adjunct professor positions, Registrar, VP-CFO and VP-CAO. I've no idea how unusual it is but getting closer to a possible fall term it seems important to have the Chief Financial Officer and Chief Academic Officer on board.

Comment

As June creeps toward July, the HR page of WU still lists HEAD COACH, MENS BASKETBALL minimum requirements BA and 3 years as a collegiate assistant. Also listed 16 Adjunct professor positions, Registrar, VP-CFO and VP-CAO. I've no idea how unusual it is but getting closer to a possible fall term it seems important to have the Chief Financial Officer and Chief Academic Officer on board.
                    Ever seen how rats escape a sinking ship?

Comment

They have a new(ish) president. They tend to want their own crew of VPs. Timing to the start of fall is inconsequential to these positions.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Ever seen how rats escape a sinking ship?
                        Rats have already been expelled. One of them landed in the Mon Valley a couple of years ago.

Comment

A little old but Wheeling University announced a 106% increase in new students "signing in" on campus for the fall. 256 new students.

Comment

A little old but Wheeling University announced a 106% increase in new students "signing in" on campus for the fall. 256 new students.
                            Interesting. Wonder if all 256 are freshmen.
                            if so, then the sophomore class was less than half of 256, say 125. Assuming no attrition then there are 381 in those two classes. Given transfers in upper classes a swag might be another 400 Full time students in jr and sr resulting in a swag of 781. So likely under 1000 full time students.

Comment

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

if so, then the sophomore class was less than half of 256, say 125. Assuming no attrition then there are 381 in those two classes. Given transfers in upper classes a swag might be another 400 Full time students in jr and sr resulting in a swag of 781. So likely under 1000 full time students.
                              Freshmen and transfers. I'd assume 70-80% freshmen return for sophomore year. That's the industry average.

Comment

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

I'd guess that 781 is about right. Given that folks were speculating 2019 enrollment of roughly 500, that's a pretty big increase (over 50%). I've said since this happened that WU's recovery would be a process and not a one year thing. They appear to be on a road to recovery but they still have a long way to go and there are many opportunities for failure.

Probably never know this, but I wonder how many former WJU students have "come back" to WU after transfering to other Catholic schools? One of the things that is clear in WU's messaging that they are really pushing is that they remain a Catholic school (in fact, they have added back the Theology program).
                                Last edited by boatcapt; 09-15-2020, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X