Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AB Joins MEC

Looks like AB has been selected to take the place of Urbana in the MEC. JDon, welcome back!

The MEC made no secret about wanting to expand its footprint and/or grab an Ohio school to pair with NDC. They openly courted Ashland . . . just like every other D2 conference in the area, but Ashland chose the G-MAC. So, AB was reportedly second choice. It doesn't expand the footprint in any way. But it makes a lot of sense in terms of geography and travel.

The Notre Dame going-away party should get scheduled soon.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      Where will they go? The GMAC? Sell their soul to go D1?

Comment

Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

Where will they go? The GMAC? Sell their soul to go D1?
        GMAC aka OHIO INTERCOLLEGIATE CONFERENCE would seem like a smart choice since they're a hop, skip and a jump from Lake ERIE east of Cleveland. The entire PSAC West is closer than the MEC.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

GMAC aka OHIO INTERCOLLEGIATE CONFERENCE would seem like a smart choice since they're a hop, skip and a jump from Lake ERIE east of Cleveland. The entire PSAC West is closer than the MEC.
          As IUP24 told me there's also the dangling nugget of a Ohio D1 who just dropped 3 male sports -- and is now below D1 requirements.

Comment

As IUP24 told me there's also the dangling nugget of a Ohio D1 who just dropped 3 male sports -- and is now below D1 requirements.
            Would the G-MAC want a Public school with 15,000 students? That's opposite to the profile of current conference members.

Comment

Originally posted by Tech Boys View Post

Would the G-MAC want a Public school with 15,000 students? That's opposite to the profile of current conference members.
              NO!!! Sounds like a PSAC add to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Tech Boys View Post

They would probably do better with 2000 student private school who fund 18 M/W sports, especially good at BASEBALL and V'BALL, located just off I-76 in PA.

Comment

Originally posted by UFOILERFAN View Post

NO!!! Sounds like a PSAC add to me.
                  I would have said GLIAC.

Comment

That'll work.

Comment

I have no idea what the future holds for Wright State. They're petitioning the NCAA to remain in Division 1. They have a very nice campus with an enrollment just north of 10,000. Very nice venue for basketball and have been a very good mid-major for a number of years. Their baseball team is also one of the best non-major programs in the country. I saw a graphic that indicated they rank in the top ten for total wins in college baseball in the last few years (not sure how far back; I think maybe 5). Across the board, they're typically a fairly strong mid major in numerous sports. But if they become an NCAA D2 school, I imagine that the vultures will be quickly circling and the transfer portal will be overflowing. I guarantee those baseball players have no interest in fighting hard to play in front of less than 200 fans in Cary, North Carolina.

They don't play football, so I wouldn't envision that a conference like the GLIAC would be highly interested. They're losing Ashland. So if you take that loss into consideration, any interest in adding a future member would likely be a football playing school. The PSAC already has far too many members, but is somehow always in the center of any expansion talks. Two Decembers ago we were debating whether Frostburg State and/or Salisbury would join the league.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP24 View Post
                        I have no idea what the future holds for Wright State. They're petitioning the NCAA to remain in Division 1. They have a very nice campus with an enrollment just north of 10,000. Very nice venue for basketball and have been a very good mid-major for a number of years. Their baseball team is also one of the best non-major programs in the country. I saw a graphic that indicated they rank in the top ten for total wins in college baseball in the last few years (not sure how far back; I think maybe 5). Across the board, they're typically a fairly strong mid major in numerous sports. But if they become an NCAA D2 school, I imagine that the vultures will be quickly circling and the transfer portal will be overflowing. I guarantee those baseball players have no interest in fighting hard to play in front of less than 200 fans in Cary, North Carolina.

They don't play football, so I wouldn't envision that a conference like the GLIAC would be highly interested. They're losing Ashland. So if you take that loss into consideration, any interest in adding a future member would likely be a football playing school. The PSAC already has far too many members, but is somehow always in the center of any expansion talks. Two Decembers ago we were debating whether Frostburg State and/or Salisbury would join the league.
                        Given what we all know of the fragile state of the PASSHE system it is always realistic for the PSAC to be recruiting new members as they will almost certainly be needed in the next 3-5 years. I would say CLARION and MANSFIELD would be the most likely to fall.

Comment

NDC in that conference makes no sense!

Comment

I think the original idea behind adding schools like Urbana/NDC (Ohio), UV Wise (Virginia), Frostburg (Maryland), and even Pembroke (North Carolina) as a partial member was that the organizers wanted the conference to transcend state borders. Hence they called it the MEC and moved away from WVIAC with its reference to West Virgnia. Naturally, they don't want to overtax travel budgets (i.e., Frostburg is a closer trip for most than Concord), but they also don't seem to want to be pigeon-holed as a WV-only conference. That's the only way that places like NDC made any sense in the conference. But as more of those leave (Urbana and Wise have already left), the outlying non-WV schools like NDC start to look more head-scratching. This is why the MEC made no secret about wanting Ashland. They don't want to leave Ohio; they want to strengthen their hold in Ohio (which is where a great many of their high school recruits come from anyway if you look at the rosters of WLU, Concord, etc.). But missing on Ashland and adding AB instead (along with the failure of getting Pembroke to come in fully) is starting to make the conference look more like the old WVIAC (which is exactly what they wanted to avoid). We'll have to wait and see what happens next in this soap opera!

Comment

AB brings as much to the table as Urbana did.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X