Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alderson Broaddus Battlers

I guess I will start it here.

Men's basketball announced today that they signed 6'5" JUCO Lacey Watson out of Rock Island, Illinois. He averaged 25 ppg and 10 rpg for Edison State CC (OH) his freshman year. He was 1st-team OCCAC that year and runner up player of the year in the OCCAC leading ESCC to a 25-6 record. He was named second team D-II JUCO All-American that year. He transferred out to Howard CC (TX) last year and averaged 10 ppg and 6.6 rpg although had his moments.

Men's soccer signed the WV State Player of the Year in soccer in Khori Miles. Heck of an athlete at RC Byrd HS as he was all-state in basketball as well. I doubt he plays both but he certainly could. Good looking athlete on film: https://gobattlers.com/news/2020/6/1...ear-award.aspx

Softball signed a grad transfer from Mount Olive in Eileen Barrera. She hit .422 with 5 HRs/19 RBIs in a shortened season last year and .373 with 42 RBIs in 2019 in leading Mount Olive to a 33-19 record. AB also signed 2019 1st-team all state pitcher Presley McGee out of 3-time state champion Herbert Hoover (WV).

How are the arena repairs coming along? Will it be ready for November?

Comment

According to the school, it is supposed to be ready by September 1. That is the last I heard unless the COVID stuff put some delays on work.

Comment

Originally posted by JDonAB92 View Post
        According to the school, it is supposed to be ready by September 1. That is the last I heard unless the COVID stuff put some delays on work.
        You may be OK. The construction industry, by and large, wasn't overly slowed down.

Comment

Here is our recruiting class:

Lacey Watson , a 6'5" wing, from Rock Island, IL via Howard CC (TX)
          Jadakis Mack, a 6'3" freshman guard with athleticism from Lima Senior HS
          Vincent Smalls, a 6'5" JUCO transfer from Cuyahoga CC (OH)
          Jalen Martin, a 6'4" JUCO transfer from Jackson CC (MI)
          Jadyn Stewart, a 6'0" freshman guard Braxton County HS in Sutton, WV
          Tahleik Walker, a 6'2" freshman point from Pickerington Central, OH
          Lucas Jannsen Perez, a 6'11" post player from Combine Academy FL

Christian Miller-Cardwell, a 6'5" guard from Gainesville, FL, sat out last year after transferring from Limestone.

Comment

Most recent pictures of the gym. The walls behind the baskets have been painted over with navy blue with yellow wording.

rexpyles.jpeg

Comment

rx4.jpeg

Comment

6'10" journeyman Levi Cook to transfer to AB. He originally started school at DePaul before announcing he would transfer to Marshall. However that never worked out. He went to Wabash Valley CC. He then transferred to Coastal Carolina where he played this past season.

Comment

6'10" journeyman Levi Cook to transfer to AB. He originally started school at DePaul before announcing he would transfer to Marshall. However that never worked out. He went to Wabash Valley CC. He then transferred to Coastal Carolina where he played this past season.
                  Given the travels of this particular "journeyman" I wouldn't be too surprised if he's somewhere other than Philippi come August.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

Given the travels of this particular "journeyman" I wouldn't be too surprised if he's somewhere other than Philippi come August.
                    It's an interesting add. A 6'10", 285 lb big in the fast-pased MEC.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

It's an interesting add. A 6'10", 285 lb big in the fast-pased MEC.
                      Definitely not that impressive for D1 CCU. 9.3 mpg for 2.3 ppg and 2.1 rpg. 0-0 3s, 51% ft, 4 blks and tied for the team lead with 5 dq. Don't know if a low post big man who isn't a rebounder or shot blocker is the answer for the 9-19 BATTLERS. Could be wrong.

Comment

Got a glimpse of these guys....not a terrible looking team but not much experience.

The key will be Bradford remaining healthy this season. They are long and decent athleticism. The late East Tennessee State transfer along with Jadakis Mack give us some explosive athletes that can get to the rim for the next 3 to 4 years. Plenty of shooters....Walker, Martin (JUCO), Shriver. Christian Miller-Cardwell (transfer from Limestone who sat out last season) practiced with the team last season so he does know what he is doing. Lacey Watson is talented. They are more talented than last season, but hard to tell on success of the season....if we have one.

Comment

I know it is early, but any thoughts on the quality of the depth after the starting 5? I dont know if you are familiar with the west liberty style, but IMHO a key factor to being competitive with them is to have quality depth that can handle intense pressure. Without depth, good teams often break down regardless of their skill level.

looking forward to seeing the Battlers!

Comment

We aren't finishing in the top 5 of the conference this season. I have nothing to gauge any thing on either. We beat Wesleyan last year and lost by 10, I think, to Charleston.

We have depth. But I don't see us having a quality 1 or 2 guard that can break down a defender. You have to have that to win 20 games at the D2 level. I don't even know if we have what it takes to have a winning record. We saw good teams in the G-MAC in Findlay and Walsh. We played a lot of GLIAC schools non-conference that had good programs. But I am not sure with this bunch. I like the freshman and the ETSU transfer to hopefully build over the next three years.

Comment

We aren't finishing in the top 5 of the conference this season. I have nothing to gauge any thing on either. We beat Wesleyan last year and lost by 10, I think, to Charleston.

We have depth. But I don't see us having a quality 1 or 2 guard that can break down a defender. You have to have that to win 20 games at the D2 level. I don't even know if we have what it takes to have a winning record. We saw good teams in the G-MAC in Findlay and Walsh. We played a lot of GLIAC schools non-conference that had good programs. But I am not sure with this bunch. I like the freshman and the ETSU transfer to hopefully build over the next three years.

Thanks for the info. I used to attend many Findlay games, especially the year they won the national title. That coach was really good. I think way back, about 10 years ago, WLU lost in OT at home to Findlay (the first year of the current coach). The next year WLU went up to Findlay and put a major beat down on them before their big home crowd. I think that was the last time any high-ranking GLIAC team played WLU.

Losing to Charleston by 10 is no shame. They had a very strong team. WLU blew an 18 point halftime lead on WV Wesleyan at home by departing from WLU basketball in the second half and lost on a last second shot. (we had 7 new players who were still adjusting). At Wesleyan a couple of months later, we won 97-67.

WLU fans used to joke that WLU has not won a pre-game warmup yet! But that is changing. We are getting better pure athletes who also buy into the WLU style.

Also, We have a shutdown defensive player in Malik Mckinney, who wreaks havoc on point guards, which we have rarely had in the past. No one graduated from last year's WLU team. IMHO, by March of 2020, WLU was playing at a much higher level than their main competitors, who are good teams in their own right (Charleston, WVSU, and Fairmont).
                              Expectations are very high this year.

Let's hope the season comes off. .

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X