Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

Thanks for the info. I used to attend many Findlay games, especially the year they won the national title. That coach was really good. I think way back, about 10 years ago, WLU lost in OT at home to Findlay (the first year of the current coach). The next year WLU went up to Findlay and put a major beat down on them before their big home crowd. I think that was the last time any high-ranking GLIAC team played WLU.

Losing to Charleston by 10 is no shame. They had a very strong team. WLU blew an 18 point halftime lead on WV Wesleyan at home by departing from WLU basketball in the second half and lost on a last second shot. (we had 7 new players who were still adjusting). At Wesleyan a couple of months later, we won 97-67.

WLU fans used to joke that WLU has not won a pre-game warmup yet! But that is changing. We are getting better pure athletes who also buy into the WLU style.

Also, We have a shutdown defensive player in Malik Mckinney, who wreaks havoc on point guards, which we have rarely had in the past. No one graduated from last year's WLU team. IMHO, by March of 2020, WLU was playing at a much higher level than their main competitors, who are good teams in their own right (Charleston, WVSU, and Fairmont).
    Expectations are very high this year.

Let's hope the season comes off. .

It's going to be an odd recruiting year. Nobody this year is being docked a year of eligibility.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

It's going to be an odd recruiting year. Nobody this year is being docked a year of eligibility.
      Wow. I knew d1 football was not being docked, but was not aware of d2 basketball. Raises many questions. If all seniors stay, will additional scholarships be allowed for incoming freshmen? Incoming transfers allowed?

Comment

Wow. I knew d1 football was not being docked, but was not aware of d2 basketball. Raises many questions. If all seniors stay, will additional scholarships be allowed for incoming freshmen? Incoming transfers allowed?
        The NCAA announced it last week. You can find the link on the football side of this board.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Went to ncaa.com. All i could find was that all fall sports get another year. Winter sports (basketball) get a waiver only if half of the games are cancelled.
          http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/...ef?division=d2

i am probably missing a more recent article. Must be buried on the football side of this site.

Comment

Fyi
            d1 committee set to vote on extra year for basketball on oct13-14

Comment

I have been away from the boards for awhile. I know the team has been practicing. When is the MEC going to try and start playing games? I feel it is going to be tough to do, but I hope it happens. I don't think A-B will be that good, but I would like to watch something.

I also worry about the school itself the longer this virus drags out. I was glad we were able to get in a full semester in the fall and hopefully the longer break helps some things down the line. But it doesn't look good. I do have strong faith in the WV National Guard to eventually really distribute the vaccine once it becomes available. The WVNG has a very good reputation. I have two undergrads.......one from A-B and one from WV State and a master's from Marshall. I saw in the Charleston Gazette that WV State already began an employee layoff implementation, although the first phase wasn't that bad and next may not happen depending on the spring. State is largely commuter as far as the student population is concerned. A-B is heavily on campus living. Marshall's game with Coppin State has been called off, but I live in Maryland and this isn't surprising. Maryland's Covid cases is starting to blow up. I wonder how many of the WV schools take a serious hit and eventually close. I know a couple of years ago WV Wesleyan had major layoffs. I am not using this to knock schools, but how many of our WV schools are really in that good of shape to begin with.

Comment

ABU announces their men's basketball schedule:

https://gobattlers.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule

Comment

I don't expect us to compete very well tonight. Wheeling has a lot of studs back from a pretty good team. We also did not start the first few games last season on the right foot.

Women were ranked next to last. I did not realize that WV Wesleyan was that bad under Bullett. I will also add that the pre-season ranking is NOT a reflection on the new women's coach....who I really like.

Are we allowing fans at home games? Any one know? Maybe the league has a rule where no fans. I need to get out of the house on a weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by JDonAB92 View Post
                    I don't expect us to compete very well tonight. Wheeling has a lot of studs back from a pretty good team. We also did not start the first few games last season on the right foot.

Women were ranked next to last. I did not realize that WV Wesleyan was that bad under Bullett. I will also add that the pre-season ranking is NOT a reflection on the new women's coach....who I really like.

Are we allowing fans at home games? Any one know? Maybe the league has a rule where no fans. I need to get out of the house on a weekend.
                    No fans at wlu games, so i am speculating that it is league rule. Wlu broadcasts their home games. Maybe wheeling will broadcast tge game.

Comment

I am fine with no fans and really that is how it should be. AB has been broadcasting games for quite awhile now. I assume they will again.

Comment

Originally posted by JDonAB92 View Post
                        I am fine with no fans and really that is how it should be. AB has been broadcasting games for quite awhile now. I assume they will again.
                        Fyi i confirmed thar no fans is league wide rule

Comment

Fyi i confirmed thar no fans is league wide rule
                          Forget the fans. LOL. Be thankful there are games.

Comment

Good road win for AB to start out the year.....85-79 over Wheeling. Shriver was 7 of 11 from behind the arc. Walker's shooting percentage might be off, but he did so many great things. A lot of his shots went in and out. No complaints on the shot selection. But he got us in the offense and calmed things down a lot when we needed it. Vincent Smalls is a nice recruit for us. I thought Bradford gave us a good spark in the 2nd half especially on transition. Lacey Watson did an excellent job on Reid who is Wheeling's top scorer from last year. It seemed most of Reid's points were early in the first half. I thought Watson kept him frustrated second half. Lacey had a big game overall with 12 points and 13 rebounds. And hats off to Coach Dye! I mean that. He made some good adjustments during the game.....he had to without having scrimmages and an inexperienced ball club. This was a nice win on the road and really a must win...you have West Lib coming in next....and didn't want to start the year 0-2. This win does give your team some confidence too.

I thought the women gave it their best without their best player. I thought the coach does some good things with very little talent.

Comment

Congrats. Dye knows wlu so he will have them ready. Imho quality depth is important when playing wlu.

Comment

We still have a long, long way to go as a team. There will be some serious bumps on the road and lumps on our head. But when you open up the conference slate with Wheeling, West Lib, UC and WV State........you take a win when you can get it. I really thought for sure we would start out 0-4. I will say one thing for our players that are juniors and seniors.....they have been used to the road...opening up four of the last five years in Detroit, Grand Rapids (MI), Saginaw (MI) and Owensboro(KY) in those crossover events, plus tons of long trips in our old league. I just thought our older players came out tonight and acted like they knew how to play on the road.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X