Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats on a good win. You have some talented players.

Comment

Alderson Broaddus with a solid win over Notre Dame last night 77-65. I agree with every thing Coach Dye said on his post-game interview: (1) this was the best 2-game stretch so far this season and (2) this was the best defensive effort, by far, of the season. AB moves to 6-5 on the season and is now 6th in the MEC standings.

David Shriver was on fire as he was 7 of 12 from three-point land and finished with 27 points and 7 rebounds. KJ Walker with 15 points and freshman Tahleik Walker had 10 points but more importantly played excellent defense on ND's best player. He is a promising freshman because he can play defense right now at this level; the offense will come.

David is now 2nd all-time three-point shooter at Alderson Broaddus....only behind his coach Stephen Dye who could stroke it back in the day. Dye, at one point, held the D2 record most career 3-point goals. David has another season left to go.

Big road game Saturday at Frostburg State. They gave us some problems at Rex Pyles Arena a few weeks ago.

Comment

Speaking of Shriver. When watching the game WLU played in Phillipi, I noticed that your floor is called Shriver Court (or something like that). Is the Shriver kid a legacy kid who had a prominent coach/player for a father or grandfather? I admit I'm ignorant to the history of AB athletics, but if you'll indulge me, what is the story of the Shriver kid's link to some legacy at AB?

Comment

David's grandpa Jim Shriver was an excellent player back in the '50s for some of Rex Pyles NAIA teams that advanced to the NAIA tournament in Kansas City. He played with the Joe Millers, Charlie Huggins (Bob Huggins father), Carl Hartman, etc. Probably about 7 years ago, the old wooden pullout bleachers that were on the floor level were going bad. Jim Shriver donated the money to Alderson Broaddus to get electronic pullout bleachers for the bottom portion of Rex Pyles Arena. Many of us, including myself, demanded that our AD at the time, Mr. Creehan, do some type of recognition for saving the school and the athletic department over 5 digits of $$$ and giving the school a nice set of bleachers all the way around the gym floor. So it was decided to name the grandstand after Jim & Lou Shriver. They attend every home game other than this year of course.

David's father, Randy Shriver, was a shooter too for Dave Barksdale and Tim Brinkley teams at AB back in the 80s. David's sister played for AB a few years back.

Comment

Thanks, JDon. I figured something like that might have been the case, but I just didn't know the story. I appreciate it.

Comment

AB loses a heartbreaker to Fairmont State 79-78. Great effort considering we played without 4 players that play in the rotation including 2nd leading scorer and leading assist man KJ Walker.

Justin Sylver comes out of nowhere and scores 11 key points off the bench. Zach Simpkins played a lot of minutes today and scored 16 points. CMC with 18 points and Shriver with 10 points.

No complaints. I thought Coach Dye had the team ready. Not having KJ Walker really stung today. It is what it is.

I like where we are at right now. We are just going to have to weather contact tracing. Playing Fairmont within one without KJ and Tahleik shows some character on the team. I don't think we will be an easy out in the MEC tournament.

Comment

AB women advance in the MEC tournament with a 85-79 win over Fairmont State. AB trailed 79-77 with 34 seconds left. Battlers outscore Fairmont 8-0 in the final ticks to win. Tough draw having to play UC next. AB lost down at Charleston 79-63 earlier in the season. Let us see what the Lady Battlers can do in Wheeling. This was the first tournament win since the 2013 WVIAC tournament when we pulled a big upset on the road at D&E.

Men fall to Wheeling. I am not going to harp on it but losing KJ Walker when we did caused the team to lose a lot of close games. Tough to lose your captain, your 2nd leading scorer and leading assist man. We didn't win a game in his absence. It is what it is, but I am so sick of COVID in so many ways. I just hope next season is different. I give Coach Dye and the players a lot of credit. Things were going very well after defeating Notre Dame. We were 6-5 and getting some winnable games ahead. We finish 6-11. Kids battled. A lot returning but we have to replace Walker with a quality point guard.

Comment

AB has signed a freshman point guard. Sirr Hughes is heading to Philippi. Hughes plays basketball at Cleveland Lutheran East HS. Lutheran East is in the Ohio Division III state semi-finals being played this weekend. Cleveland Lutheran East's head coach is Sam Liggins who was a 1st-team all-WVIAC player at AB.

COVID has really broke out on campus. 96 positive cases among student, faculty and staff between Feb 15 thru March 2.

I see quite a few players are ONCE AGAIN leaving. Lacey Watson is the most notable. The others probably need to go based on lack of production over the years and Watson seemed like a head case. It is time to say that we need to do a better job with some of this recruiting. We do some real good things in recruiting, but the Duds that constantly show up on the roster and then stick around too long is getting old. Speaking of transfers from AB, I saw where Bryce Butler, who once played at AB and was very talented, led Malone in scoring this past season and was a 1st-team all-G-MAC selection. Of course, Ron Miller is an assistant at Malone. Parker Dortch, who for some reason rotted on the bench as a freshman at AB, played the past two years at D-I Loyola Marymount after spending a productive year at the JUCO level.

Comment

Jalen Knott of Cleveland Lutheran East is also heading to ABU. Second player from Lutheran East to sign with AB.

Cleveland Lutheran East just won the Division III state championship in Ohio this past weekend. Congrats to Head Coach Sam Liggins for the championship. Liggins graduated from AB back in the late 2000s.

I realize it is just spring but football looked awful. Men's soccer knocked of #22 ranked WV Wesleyan.

Comment

Miller-Cardwell just entered the transfer portal.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                        Miller-Cardwell just entered the transfer portal.
                        Wow. Great shooter. Thought he was emerging star there.

Comment

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

Wow. Great shooter. Thought he was emerging star there.
                          I suspect he'll be pretty sought after ...

I'd guess low D1 or high D2.

Comment

I have been pretty critical of Coach Dye the past two seasons. I will NOT criticize the coaching staff when it come to Mr Miller-Cardwell deciding to leave.

Miller-Cardwell left Limestone to transfer for an opportunity to get more playing time than what he was getting at Limestone. Limestone wouldn't release him from scholarship.....playing hardball.....despite him really not getting much time down there. AB was the one school that took him knowing that he would have to sit out a year. Our coaching staff put him on full scholarship for the year he had to sit out. He was given an opportunity when no one else gave him that type of opportunity.

I also think the coaching staff at AB put him in a good position to shine. His teammates, especially Walker, Rice & Shriver, were very unselfish and fed him the ball. I thought the staff had an offense that fit his talents and also hid some of his negative offensive traits. He contributed to AB, but AB gave him a lot.

He can do what he wants. I am not wishing any thing bad on him, but I am not into this "wish you the best". I think he made a big mistake. I am not sure he will be a spotlight player somewhere else. His playing time may even be limited. He is now on twitter "just needing a chance". Yeah....well......when you were given a big chance and a big break, then maybe our modern-age players need to start realizing good opportunities when they arise. It does hurt our team that he is leaving. There is no question on that. But this may be a case where he hurts himself as well.
                            Last edited by JDonAB92; 04-12-2021, 07:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JDonAB92 View Post
                              I have been pretty critical of Coach Dye the past two seasons. I will NOT criticize the coaching staff when it come to Mr Miller-Cardwell deciding to leave.

Miller-Cardwell left Limestone to transfer for an opportunity to get more playing time than what he was getting at Limestone. Limestone wouldn't release him from scholarship.....playing hardball.....despite him really not getting much time down there. AB was the one school that took him knowing that he would have to sit out a year. Our coaching staff put him on full scholarship for the year he had to sit out. He was given an opportunity when no one else gave him that type of opportunity.I also think the coaching staff at AB put him in a good position to shine. His teammates, especially Walker, Rice & Shriver, were very unselfish and fed him the ball. I thought the staff had an offense that fit his talents and also hid some of his negative offensive traits. He contributed to AB, but AB gave him a lot.

He can do what he wants. I am not wishing any thing bad on him, but I am not into this "wish you the best". I think he made a big mistake. I am not sure he will be a spotlight player somewhere else. His playing time may even be limited. He is now on twitter "just needing a chance". Yeah....well......when you were given a big chance and a big break, then maybe our modern-age players need to start realizing good opportunities when they arise. It does hurt our team that he is leaving. There is no question on that. But this may be a case where he hurts himself as well.
                              Good insights. I agree that although he was a good shooter, there were significant areas that needed work, which he would have been improved at AB. Players that are relatively one dimensional can discover that the portal is an unforgiving place.

Comment

Sorry to see the passing of AB Hall of Famer Charlie Huggins. He graduated in 1958 and was on two of the AB teams that advanced to the NAIA national tournament in Kansas City. He was a part of Rex Pyles teams that could light up the scoreboard. They won their first game in the NAIA tournament in 1955 100-84 over Minot State.....long before the shot clock and 3-point line. They advanced to the Elite Eight that year. Huggins won several state titles as a head coach in Ohio. He later hired Greg Zimmerman as head coach at Indian Valley HS. Huggins was AD at the time at Indian Valley. Huggins was known to hire AB grads. I got to meet Charlie and talk to him on a few occasions. Last time I talked with him was when AB played West Lib at the end of the regular season in 2007.

Christian Miller-Cardwell has signed to play at NAIA Keiser University in FL.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X