Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atlantic Regional

Round 1 is a very good lineup -- and a very difficult slate of game to pick. I'll save the official picks for later in the week but a few thoughts:

Fairmont State vs. Mercyhurst -- This is the 4/5 game nobody saw coming -- mainly because most didn't think Fairmont deserved the 5 seed. One thing for certain is it will be near culture shock for the Falcons to see the Lakers' vaunted triangle and two zone. Statistically, Mercyhurst is one of the best defensive teams in the country -- giving up just over 60 ppg for the season. Mercyhurst plays an extremely physical style of basketball and really frustrates opponents. It's going to be difficult for FSU to deal with this weekend. The Lakers aren't a big team in the height department but they have a lot of muscle down low. Having seen Fairmont in person the Falcons are going to have a difficult time with Patrick Smith under the basket. For FSU to win this game it will have to push, push and push the the pace. It's extremely difficult to speed Mercyhurst up but that's there only chance. The Lakers will turn this in to a slop-fest.

Notre Dame vs. Virginia State -- Very tough assignment here for No. 3 VSU. Notre Dame enters the game sky-high after winning the MEC title. VSU is an extremely athletic, deep and fast team. They also have some big boys who can help to slow down Will Vorhees. That said, I think Vorhees has a good match-up in this game.

East Stroudsburg vs. West Liberty -- Forty minutes of pressure vs forty minutes of pressure. ESU got real frustrated in its loss to Mercyhurst -- not uncommon. Unfortunately, that resulted in an extremely costly technical foul. The Warriors have to do a much better job of keeping their cool against a WL team that will cause them all sorts of problems. ESU's Ryan Smith has to (and should) have a huge game against the much smaller Hilltopper post. This should be, perhaps, the most entertaining game of the day. Don't blink. You'll miss 12 points. ESU certainly isn't an easy assignment on Day 1. ESU can put up a big number in this game. Can it be bigger than the one WL will put up?

West Chester vs. IUP -- Last week doesn't mean a thing. That game is long gone. Dante Lombardi won't look like Stephen Curry again this Saturday. Tim Toro won't resemble Karl Malone, either. In Round 2 West Chester sold out on Cobo Diaz. In turn, Lombardi smoked them from all over the floor. It will be a tough environment for the Rams -- likely much worse than it was this past Saturday. The KCAC at night is a daunting task for visitors. West Chester is certainly capable of winning this game. Keep that in mind.

Re: Atlantic Regional

VSU/ND - 12 p.m.

WL/ESU - 2:30 p.m.

IUP/WCU - 5 p.m.

Mercyhurst/FSU - 7:30 p.m.

Sunday - 5pm and 7pm (The IUP side of the bracket will play in the 5 p.m. game)

Tuesday - 7pm

So, crowd-wise, the ESU/WL game will get a crowd for at least the second half as the IUP fans start to arrive. The first and last games will be pretty empty (I assume).

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      VSU/ND - 12 p.m.

IUP/WCU - 5 p.m.

Tuesday - 7pm

So, crowd-wise, the ESU/WL game will get a crowd for at least the second half as the IUP fans start to arrive. The first and last games will be pretty empty (I assume).

Comment

Four straight wouldn't be easy.

Comment

Four straight wouldn't be easy.
          Oh if I can swing it, I can do it! I'm die hard!!! I did it two years ago in Buffalo for NCAA's.

Comment

Comment

Bring a lot of money. LOL.

Of all the food windows in the building I think the best one is the one that's kind of hidden (on the side of the Alumni Bar).

Years ago they did a prime rib bar on certain nights. Perhaps they do something like that for this weekend.

I see them having a ton of trouble enforcing this no re-entry thing. Their staff there normally doesn't even check tickets let alone enforce something like this. Of course, for the crowd that normally hangs out next door spending an extra $12 for a second ticket isn't that big of a deal.

Comment

Round 1 is a very good lineup -- and a very difficult slate of game to pick. I'll save the official picks for later in the week but a few thoughts:

Fairmont State vs. Mercyhurst -- This is the 4/5 game nobody saw coming -- mainly because most didn't think Fairmont deserved the 5 seed. One thing for certain is it will be near culture shock for the Falcons to see the Lakers' vaunted triangle and two zone. Statistically, Mercyhurst is one of the best defensive teams in the country -- giving up just over 60 ppg for the season. Mercyhurst plays an extremely physical style of basketball and really frustrates opponents. It's going to be difficult for FSU to deal with this weekend. The Lakers aren't a big team in the height department but they have a lot of muscle down low. Having seen Fairmont in person the Falcons are going to have a difficult time with Patrick Smith under the basket. For FSU to win this game it will have to push, push and push the the pace. It's extremely difficult to speed Mercyhurst up but that's there only chance. The Lakers will turn this in to a slop-fest.

Notre Dame vs. Virginia State -- Very tough assignment here for No. 3 VSU. Notre Dame enters the game sky-high after winning the MEC title. VSU is an extremely athletic, deep and fast team. They also have some big boys who can help to slow down Will Vorhees. That said, I think Vorhees has a good match-up in this game.

East Stroudsburg vs. West Liberty -- Forty minutes of pressure vs forty minutes of pressure. ESU got real frustrated in its loss to Mercyhurst -- not uncommon. Unfortunately, that resulted in an extremely costly technical foul. The Warriors have to do a much better job of keeping their cool against a WL team that will cause them all sorts of problems. ESU's Ryan Smith has to (and should) have a huge game against the much smaller Hilltopper post. This should be, perhaps, the most entertaining game of the day. Don't blink. You'll miss 12 points. ESU certainly isn't an easy assignment on Day 1. ESU can put up a big number in this game. Can it be bigger than the one WL will put up?

West Chester vs. IUP -- Last week doesn't mean a thing. That game is long gone. Dante Lombardi won't look like Stephen Curry again this Saturday. Tim Toro won't resemble Karl Malone, either. In Round 2 West Chester sold out on Cobo Diaz. In turn, Lombardi smoked them from all over the floor. It will be a tough environment for the Rams -- likely much worse than it was this past Saturday. The KCAC at night is a daunting task for visitors. West Chester is certainly capable of winning this game. Keep that in mind.
                NDC's strategy against FSU was to take the air out of the ball. And it worked--they thumped Fairmont doing it in the conference semi's. Mercy should be even more practiced at the slow-down. I don't have any confidence that FSU will be able to speed them up. They couldn't even speed up an NDC squad that rarely plays that style but just game planned it for the FSU matchup. I'd say the Falcons are in trouble.

Comment

Of all the food windows in the building I think the best one is the one that's kind of hidden (on the side of the Alumni Bar).

Years ago they did a prime rib bar on certain nights. Perhaps they do something like that for this weekend.

I see them having a ton of trouble enforcing this no re-entry thing. Their staff there normally doesn't even check tickets let alone enforce something like this. Of course, for the crowd that normally hangs out next door spending an extra $12 for a second ticket isn't that big of a deal.

Comment

Got to maximize the profit for the school. Holding ticket holders hostage is certainly a way of doing that!!

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                      Got to maximize the profit for the school. Holding ticket holders hostage is certainly a way of doing that!!
                      The 'no session break' is all about money.

If they had a break, the first two games would have 250 (or less) people. I don't know how WL will travel but ESU won't.

Putting IUP in the third game (with all general admission) now forces the IUP crowd to arrive much earlier (and spend more on food and $9 beers).

The ND vs VSU noon game will be an empty arena but the WL vs ESU game -- especially the second half -- should be a big crowd.

No idea what to expect for the final game. I suspect it will be empty.

Sunday, however, I'd suspect big crowds for both games (providing IUP is still alive).

I have a suspicion if IUP makes the final that Tuesday night will be back to reserve seating. Notice they said Tuesday tickets will not go on sale until Monday.

Obviously the financial disaster is for the host to go out in Round 1.

If there is a Tuesday for IUP that place will be insane with the students all back. Big IF however.

Comment

VSU/ND - 12 p.m.

IUP/WCU - 5 p.m.

Tuesday - 7pm

Wow. I will have to leave early! I thought I would be able to drive up that morning but now I might leave the night before. I was hoping to stay for the Sunday game if we win but now I see that won't happen. Will these games be streamed online?

Comment

Originally posted by GoVSUTrojans View Post
                          Wow. I will have to leave early! I thought I would be able to drive up that morning but now I might leave the night before. I was hoping to stay for the Sunday game if we win but now I see that won't happen. Will these games be streamed online?
                          Yes

Comment

The ND vs VSU noon game will be an empty arena
                            Yes!!!!

Comment

Yes
                              On IUP site?

Comment