Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about IUP Names

So, now that I've watched these games and listened to your feed (and as I said in an earlier post, I think your students do a really nice job), I want to ask a question about something I've wondered about for a while. And please don't read that I'm asking the question in a snarky way. I'm legitimately curious.

I've noticed that on this board and, now, on your broadcasts, IUP fans/announcers refer to their players exclusively by their first names. And I was surprised to hear that the trend wasn't just on message boards but also on the broadcast ("Cobo kicks it out to Dante at the top of the key," etc.). Every other player that gets talked about in the region is referred to by a last name: Bolon, Meininger, Hinton, Jolly, Massey, Kellum, Sleva, etc. But IUP players are always: Cobo, Willem, Armoni, Dante, Malik, etc. Now, in the case of both Willem and Marko, I suppose it makes sense. Those last names are a pain to say and/or spell. But no one would struggle to say/spell Diaz, Foster, Lombardi, or Miller.

Is there a reason for this tradition? Perhaps a beloved PA Announcer that started the trend or something like that? College athletics are filled with a variety of traditions/superstitions. I guess I've always wondered about the genesis of that tradition at IUP. And hearing it on the broadcast today seemed pretty unique, so it prompted me to ask. And again, please understand that I'm asking out of curiosity--not out of any accusation or annoyance. Anybody know where the tradition comes from?

Re: Question about IUP Names

Originally posted by Scrub View Post
    So, now that I've watched these games and listened to your feed (and as I said in an earlier post, I think your students do a really nice job), I want to ask a question about something I've wondered about for a while. And please don't read that I'm asking the question in a snarky way. I'm legitimately curious.

I've noticed that on this board and, now, on your broadcasts, IUP fans/announcers refer to their players exclusively by their first names. And I was surprised to hear that the trend wasn't just on message boards but also on the broadcast ("Cobo kicks it out to Dante at the top of the key," etc.). Every other player that gets talked about in the region is referred to by a last name: Bolon, Meininger, Hinton, Jolly, Massey, Kellum, Sleva, etc. But IUP players are always: Cobo, Willem, Armoni, Dante, Malik, etc. Now, in the case of both Willem and Marko, I suppose it makes sense. Those last names are a pain to say and/or spell. But no one would struggle to say/spell Diaz, Foster, Lombardi, or Miller.

Is there a reason for this tradition? Perhaps a beloved PA Announcer that started the trend or something like that? College athletics are filled with a variety of traditions/superstitions. I guess I've always wondered about the genesis of that tradition at IUP. And hearing it on the broadcast today seemed pretty unique, so it prompted me to ask. And again, please understand that I'm asking out of curiosity--not out of any accusation or annoyance. Anybody know where the tradition comes from?
    #Hawk-Family

Comment

Comment

Question about IUP Names

Comment

I didn't know Daddy had a last name? I thought he was like Madonna? Lol.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
              When I was calling games for CUTV while Daddy was playing for IUP, I referred to him as "Daddy" through most of the broadcast because I always struggled with his last name. But, I see some NBA play-by-play home announcers go the first-name route, so it's not as egregious, in my opinion.
              Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                I can say it but I could never spell it

Comment

Originally posted by Scrub View Post

Comment

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X