Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
    Actually the 8 rebounds impress me more because that's evidence of hard work which I love in any player.
    ????Got a Tweet to him asking to pass on the PSAC....no response yet.
    Taking off the IUP blinders ... he would have thrived in DS's system. I hope for his sake he wasn't getting a lot of bad advice (like some WL players got).

Comment

Other than MACADAMS the rest were not significant imo.
      I'd add Williams and his 31 minutes and 11 PPG to the list. On a team that scored on average 77 points per game last year, 11 points is a pratty significant number. Williams seemed to be the all around guy for Cal...Not at the top in any one category but near the top in all.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

I'd add Williams and his 31 minutes and 11 PPG to the list. On a team that scored on average 77 points per game last year, 11 points is a pratty significant number. Williams seemed to be the all around guy for Cal...Not at the top in any one category but near the top in all.

Don't forget Danny lost his best player last season before the first game (Philip Alexander). He's back this year but McAdams is a massive loss. Williams is a big loss, too. He went to a loaded Daemen.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Don't forget Danny lost his best player last season before the first game (Philip Alexander). He's back this year but McAdams is a massive loss. Williams is a big loss, too. He went to a loaded Daemen.
          Most good teams have the "swiss army knife" guy. Does everything well but not necessarily great in any one category. That's the guy that Williams seemed to be for Cal. Losing him is not going to be a major blow in any one area of Cal's game but when you take his contribution across the spectrum out of the equation, it will hurt. Of course that is assuming that one of the many incoming freshmen can't fill that role.

Comment

IMO those pts will be replaced by one of ten members of this year's class.

Comment

Most good teams have the "swiss army knife" guy. Does everything well but not necessarily great in any one category. That's the guy that Williams seemed to be for Cal. Losing him is not going to be a major blow in any one area of Cal's game but when you take his contribution across the spectrum out of the equation, it will hurt. Of course that is assuming that one of the many incoming freshmen can't fill that role.
              I've a good feeling the incoming class is not only deep but talented. Time will tell.

Comment

I've a good feeling the incoming class is not only deep but talented. Time will tell.
                Said every college fan of every college team in early October of every year!!!!

Comment

Said every college fan of every college team in early October of every year!!!!
                  Not so for any VULCAN team recently. Last year a little bit, this year much more so, but the MACADAMS move definitely puts a damper on expectations.

Comment

I think most fans, unless they are truly beat down after years of ball numbing failure (wink, wink, WLU football!), tend to look at their team for the coming season and the incoming recruiting class with rose colored glasses. LOTS of "gifted ball handlers", "3 point snipers," and "dominating big men" to go along with almost every incoming recruit having a "high basketball IQ." Truth is most recruits never turn out nearly as good as we think they will be and even for those that do, it typically takes a couple of years minimum. But every now and then, a true freshman comes in that lives up to his preseason hype!

Comment

I think most fans, unless they are truly beat down after years of ball numbing failure (wink, wink, WLU football!), tend to look at their team for the coming season and the incoming recruiting class with rose colored glasses. LOTS of "gifted ball handlers", "3 point snipers," and "dominating big men" to go along with almost every incoming recruit having a "high basketball IQ." Truth is most recruits never turn out nearly as good as we think they will be and even for those that do, it typically takes a couple of years minimum. But every now and then, a true freshman comes in that lives up to his preseason hype!
                      Now you know why I'm so bummed about a player who came in with some hype, took on a starter's role because of coaching chaos and injuries but gave the team more than could have been expected. Funny thing was a year ago with the coaching carousel I was truly worried that MACADAMS would change his mind and he didn't. This year with a spot locked in, I had zero worries that he wouldn't be there. Life is funny.

Comment

What a start to the season. Yesterday afternoon during preseason workouts, FR PHIL ALSTON collapsed and had to be revived with CPR and an AED after which he was medevaced to the hospital in Pittsburgh. Thankfully one of the CAL U AT staff was handy and trained for just such an emergency. Two eerie aspects of this event. The trainer had done much the same thing two years ago for a wrestling coach at SHU. And VULCAN BB fans still recall the loss of Shanice Clarke five years ago and are really not up for a repeat. Alston's parents came in from Ohio and were very thankful that this turned out as it did.

Comment

Comment

Please keep the faith regarding MBB. As I indicated both of these events were distressing, but until I see otherwise I'll trust in an effective, organized HC to get the most out of a team that returns BRENT PEGRAM, ZYON COLLINS and PHILLIP ALEXANDER as a base to be mixed with talented newbies and take another step forward. Truth be told I'm more worried about WBB because they only return JASPER and VALLECORSA as significant players and neither are what I'd call a leader such as PEGRAM. Because JESS STROM has such an amazing record of molding teams from what is available, she definitely gets the benefit of the doubt.
                            As far as other sports are concerned, I think we both knew that the ARMENTI model was unsustainable over the long run. I enjoyed the success of the other teams, specifically the women's, but the idea that a moderate sized state university can continue to import whole teams (TENNIS) or significant players (GOLF) is truly not realistic. I am happy that many of all the sports teams have been able to keep coaches who give their teams chances to be competitive. I don't know if you'd agree but I think GERALDINE JONES has done a good job of hiring news coaches, several of whom are alumni, and focused somewhat more of her efforts in improving the overall curriculum and status of the our school.
                            If it's any consolation, MEN'S SOCCER knocked #4 GANNON from the ranks of the unbeaten on Saturday.

Comment

What a start to the season. Yesterday afternoon during preseason workouts, FR PHIL ALSTON collapsed and had to be revived with CPR and an AED after which he was medevaced to the hospital in Pittsburgh. Thankfully one of the CAL U AT staff was handy and trained for just such an emergency. Two eerie aspects of this event. The trainer had done much the same thing two years ago for a wrestling coach at SHU. And VULCAN BB fans still recall the loss of Shanice Clarke five years ago and are really not up for a repeat. Alston's parents came in from Ohio and were very thankful that this turned out as it did.
                              WOW!! Hope Alston is OK. Those AED's are absolute life savers. While training is always good, those AED's are designed for people with no training to use and use effectively. Always a good idea to take a look around when you are at a new public place (restaurant, arena, office, etc) and find out were they are. It quite literally could save a life like in this case!!!

Comment

Time to see if DANNY SANCOMB can use speed and skill to offset lack of size. Important known players #5 PEGRAM, #12 ALEXANDER, and
                                #3 COLLINS plus newcomers #1 AJIKE, #2 SMITH JR and #11 HOUSE.

https://calvulcans.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster

??????
                                Last edited by CALUPA69; 10-16-2019, 12:32 PM. Reason: Correction

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X