• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gannon

[QUOTE=IUPbigINDIANS;2369882]

Comment

Originally posted by Mjtheman View Post
      You can have Cleve Wright. That would be a bad hire for Gannon.
      I agree that Brunelli needed to go. He was absolutely handed the keys to the kingdom when he was hired and failed to really do anything with it. Cleve had that program running on all cylinders and then some. If I was AD I would most certainly want to talk with him. He very nearly won a national title there less than a decade ago. He seemed to run a first rate program from everything that I was able to observe.

Stanley Swank was also a legendary coach. I would also want to talk to him if he had interest in returning to the bench.

Former IUP WBB skipper Jeff Dow is another PSAC coaching alum looking for work as far as I know after resigning from La.-Monroe. He should draw some interest one would think. His wife is from PA so maybe they are eyeing a return with their young family.

Kelly Mazzante to the best of my knowledge grew up near Bloomsburg or in that general area (Montoursville?). I always thought she might want to coach Bloom if she coveted a D-II head coaching gig. But hard to know. But who's to say that Irish Tom McConnell doesn't take on a bigger job with his recent success and Mazzante succeeds him at IUP.

-

Comment

https://www.goerie.com/sports/201903...ll-not-return#

GoErie news article includes a statement from Reilly. He is a class act and will continue to be wherever he lands.

Comment

You're new AD is a goof! I met him at the regional. Why wouldn't he put any money into that shack of a gym?

Comment

Originally posted by Golden89 View Post
            Well, I don't know what to say. Didn't see this coming ... Still really can't believe that GU would let both coaches go on the same day. Trying to process it.

Reilly's teams always played hard. Maximum effort. Good students. No knuckleheads. He was really well-liked by the administration, or so I thought. That said, slow, defense-first basketball only works with most fans if you win consistently. Four wins at home isn't the best thing. People were getting impatient after 14 years. The winning seasons were great, but fans aren't used to Gannon bottoming out like this. Riles was always nice to me and my family, though. I would be happy for my son to play for him.

Brunelli followed the best WBB coach in Gannon history. He never seemed to win recruiting battles and had some issues with players. The team really scuffled under his tenure. Though I thought that the team as composed could start contending again.

All that said, I hate to see people you know lose their jobs. I see both coaches and their families around Erie quite a bit. Not an easy day for either of them.

PSAC doubleheaders sure will be different at the Hammermill next year.
            The writing was on the wall. That wench of an AD had it in for Reilly right from the get go. She just had to ride out his contract. The correct move would've been to get rid of that piece of garbage football coach!

Comment

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
              The writing was on the wall. That wench of an AD had it in for Reilly right from the get go. She just had to ride out his contract. The correct move would've been to get rid of that piece of garbage football coach!

Comment

Reilly was a good hire at the time but not the guy for right now. Unfortunately that happens.

Comment

Some thoughts/comments/questions:

* How much did Mercyhurst's run play in to this decision?

* Will GU really go after Manchel as some are suggesting? Would he even be interested? Many have pegged him as the heir-apparent at IUP in the coming years. GU can't pay near what IUP can offer.

* JR allegedly had some big-time JUCO players lined up. Will they now vanish?

* GU should have some nice players returning. Should, of course, is a dangerous word.

* JR getting blamed for attendance. Fun fact: GU had the second-highest attendance in the PSAC. It's not 1988 again. Never will be. The days of sold out Hammermill's are long gone.

* Case in point: 5 years ago the 'Mill didn't even sell out for IUP's visit in the PSAC Championship. Not even close, in fact.

* Was JR the one scheduling all those ridiculous 3 p.m. Saturday tip-offs? You know, the ones that draw awful for every school.

* Wonder if the GU faithful would have liked that boring style if it was Reilly in the E8 instead of Manchel?

Comment

Lack of consistent winning? He's the all time winning coach there. If you don't win consistently then he wouldn't be the all time winning coach there.

Comment

[QUOTE=Mjtheman;2369887]Idiot! So if Reilly's style is why attendance is down, don't you think Manchel would be the same since his style is the same?

Comment

[QUOTE=IUPalum;2370076]

Idiot! So if Reilly's style is why attendance is down, don't you think Manchel would be the same since his style is the same?
                        Reilly offense is a true piece of crap to watch and has been forever. Manchel will be able to to a lot more with Gannon resources than mercyhurst. Not to hard to figure out dipsh!t

Comment

I do not see Manchel making the move, he does not need to. With the job being so prestigious, they would probably need someone with head coaching experience though

Comment

Originally posted by PSAC76 View Post
                            I do not see Manchel making the move, he does not need to. With the job being so prestigious, they would probably need someone with head coaching experience though

Comment

[QUOTE=Mjtheman;2370088]
                              Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

Reilly offense is a true piece of crap to watch and has been forever. Manchel will be able to to a lot more with Gannon resources than mercyhurst. Not to hard to figure out dipsh!t
                              Mercyhurst has the same resources. Keep trying...

Comment

[QUOTE=IUPalum;2370106]

Mercyhurst has the same resources. Keep trying...
                                Mercyhurst won the Atlantic region Gannon sucked with the same resources. Pathetic

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X