• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
    So the main field is set for the MEC Tourney:

MEC North Champ WLU plays 4S Concord at 2:00 PM Friday
    MEC South Champ Charleston plays 5N Wheeling at 5:00 PM Friday
    2N Fairmont plays 3S WV State at 8:00 PM Friday
    2S Glenville plays 3N Notre Dame at 11:00 AM Friday

So how will it play out Friday? Are we antisipating calk or will there be upsets?
    My picks:

WLU avenges the prior Concord loss.
    Charleston is too much for a too-little-too-late, surging Wheeling.
    Fairmont takes care of business against on-again-off-again WVSU. Hard to keep flipping the switch to "on."
    NDC upsets a rested-but-rusty Glenville. NDC has been strong as of late, and I think they'll be too much for Glenville after basically 3 weeks off.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrub View Post

My picks:

WLU avenges the prior Concord loss.
      Charleston is too much for a too-little-too-late, surging Wheeling.
      Fairmont takes care of business against on-again-off-again WVSU. Hard to keep flipping the switch to "on."
      NDC upsets a rested-but-rusty Glenville. NDC has been strong as of late, and I think they'll be too much for Glenville after basically 3 weeks off.
      I'm not sold on the NDC over Glenville call. It is a possibility but I just think Glenville has a bit too much and will pull out a tough W to advance.

I feel the same way about the Fairmont vs WVSU game. Fairmont is a little more talented and finds a way to win a close game.

If I had to go out on a limb, I'd also pick NDC over Glenville but I don't think I'd put any money on it!

Comment

I'm not sold on the NDC over Glenville call. It is a possibility but I just think Glenville has a bit too much and will pull out a tough W to advance.

I feel the same way about the Fairmont vs WVSU game. Fairmont is a little more talented and finds a way to win a close game.

If I had to go out on a limb, I'd also pick NDC over Glenville but I don't think I'd put any money on it!
        You're right that GSC is more talented than NDC, but I'm banking on the one-game-in-the-last-3-weeks rust to take a toll in game where the chips are down (as opposed to their somewhat meaningless tune-up with Concord on Saturday).

Comment

I wouldn't touch that FSU/WVSU game even with your money.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

That's for sure. Never know when Abram will go off for one of his 40-point explosions.

Comment

That's for sure. Never know when Abram will go off for one of his 40-point explosions.
              Yep. Abram is the wild card. However, IMHO WVSU has regressed recently. I think Fairmont will win because:
              - they are playing at a high level - 1.19 Points per possession against WLU, which would win against vast majority of teams
              - Bonner may be able to slow down Abram (if he guards him) because of his height and quickness
              - Sanders is a really strong player
              - Fairmont tends to take fewer bad shots than WVSU

I think the size of Charleston will prove to be too much for Wheeling, if UC exploits McManus's size advantage inside. However, Reid and Haines could get hot and make it a close game. Depth is an issue for Wheeling.

I see NDC trying to slow down the pace against Glenville, as NDC depth is a concern. This is the one I am on the fence about.
              NDC tends to get a good shot most of the time. Can GSC generate turnovers against NDC?
              I am going with NDC as they played Fairmont close late in the season and only lost to GSC by 9 on Feb 3.

WLU was not playing the WLU brand of ball and Concord was playing really well in their last game,
              " WLU got their mind right" after their three losses. Key for WLU is controlling Johnson and offensive rebounding.
              I see WLU winning in a hard-fought game, for Concord has very strong rebounders.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

There's a lot of parity in the MEC and the FSU/WVSU game is a perfect example. Just doing a head to head comparison of talent and FSU is better. But WVSU is close and if they are hitting and FSU is a tick off, they are more than capable of winning. Same situation with Glenville/NDC but the "rust" factor makes it even more unknown. Straight up, Glenville is slightly better than NDC but NDC is not that much "worse" than them. Heck, Concord also is good enough (and has a track record of beating WLU) so an upset there is within the relm of legitimate possibility. Only outcome that I would be shocked by would be Wheeling over Charleston.

Comment

WLU claims a 102-68 win over Concord in the MEC Tourney quarterfinals to set up a semifinal game vs. Glenville. Yoakum did not play so his injury is certainly somthing to be concerned about moving forward.

Up next is UC Vs Wheeling followed by Fairmont vs WV State to set the other semifinal game.

Comment

Tourney theme so far: Wheat & Chaff.

Hasn't been a close game yet. NDC got run out of the gym by Glenville. WLU did what WLU does with Concord as victim. And UC is flat out embarrassing Wheeling. Wheat & Chaff.

Hoping the nightcap with FSU & WVSU will be the good game we've been waiting for.

Comment

FSU currently fighting for their playoff lives. Only it isn't Abram with the 40-point game . . . it's Jeremiah Moore with 40 and counting!

Comment

Fairmont survives to play another day.

Comment

WOW! What a game!!! Fairmont survives a hard charging WLU 102-99 as a last second three try by Dyer comes up just short! MAN I love tourney basketball!!!!

Comment

Fairmont earned a trip to the big dance--no question about it. Great performance by them in this 3-day stretch. They'll be a tough out for somebody next week.

Comment

Fairmont earned a trip to the big dance--no question about it. Great performance by them in this 3-day stretch. They'll be a tough out for somebody next week.
                              And I would say possibly the #1 seed in the Regionals. You beat the #2 ad #4 ranked teams on consecutive nights, you deserve the #1 seed.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X