Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The portal is insane. I read today the D1 portal alone is approaching 1,500. They are projecting near 1,850.

I haven't seen a D2 number but it's quickly growing.

The high school class of '21 is getting the shaft. Should be some real steals available for D2 to grab.

This has to be a record off-season for D2 transfers to D1. There are a lot already signed.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      The portal is insane. I read today the D1 portal alone is approaching 1,500. They are projecting near 1,850.

I haven't seen a D2 number but it's quickly growing.

The high school class of '21 is getting the shaft. Should be some real steals available for D2 to grab.

This has to be a record off-season for D2 transfers to D1. There are a lot already signed.
      That's what happens when you give everyone a "free" year of eligibility. Only "out flow" is those drafted and those that chose not to come back. HS seniors didnt get a "free" year of HS eligability so they are the ones who get squeezed.

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
        That's what happens when you give everyone a "free" year of eligibility. Only "out flow" is those drafted and those that chose not to come back. HS seniors didnt get a "free" year of HS eligability so they are the ones who get squeezed.
        No doubt. It said one inevitable event caused by this year's HS class being squeezed is many more than normal are electing to do a post-grad year at the prep schools, etc.

Comment

No doubt. It said one inevitable event caused by this year's HS class being squeezed is many more than normal are electing to do a post-grad year at the prep schools, etc.
          If they can afford it.

This is a prefect example of nothing being free...someone ALWAYS pays.

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

If they can afford it.

This is a prefect example of nothing being free...someone ALWAYS pays.
            'Somebody' does. At the better prep schools, however, the 'somebody' usually isn't the player. They offer similar scholarships, etc.

There's one of these somewhat close to Indiana (The Kiski School). Granted, it's primarily a school geared for the children of the very wealthy (not for the locals). However, they take lots of (5th year) seniors every year in football and basketball. The rich like to win when they play the other rich prep schools.

I remember the year Penn State couldn't get running back Curtis Enis accepted as a freshman. He played at Kiski for a year post-grad. You had a guy who would have played heavy snaps in the Big 10 that year playing against teams of future Yale and Harvard students.

Kiski is largely an academic school but they typically do have very good athletics. Dante Lombardi went there for high school. Shawndale Jones (current IUP player) finished high school there. They've produced a slew of D1 basketball players in the past decade -- most were one-year guys. Ringers. Mercenaries. Whatever. Same thing NCAA teams do to win.

That's just an example school. Then there are the ones out there essentially geared as recruiting factories (IMG Academy, etc.).

Comment

'Somebody' does. At the better prep schools, however, the 'somebody' usually isn't the player. They offer similar scholarships, etc.

There's one of these somewhat close to Indiana (The Kiski School). Granted, it's primarily a school geared for the children of the very wealthy (not for the locals). However, they take lots of (5th year) seniors every year in football and basketball. The rich like to win when they play the other rich prep schools.

I remember the year Penn State couldn't get running back Curtis Enis accepted as a freshman. He played at Kiski for a year post-grad. You had a guy who would have played heavy snaps in the Big 10 that year playing against teams of future Yale and Harvard students.

Kiski is largely an academic school but they typically do have very good athletics. Dante Lombardi went there for high school. Shawndale Jones (current IUP player) finished high school there. They've produced a slew of D1 basketball players in the past decade -- most were one-year guys. Ringers. Mercenaries. Whatever. Same thing NCAA teams do to win.

That's just an example school. Then there are the ones out there essentially geared as recruiting factories (IMG Academy, etc.).
              Sure...There are a number of "prep" schools like IMG, Kiski, Fork Union, etc and they will absorb a number of players who would have gone to a D1 this year. But I don't think that number will be signifigant when you compare it to the typical numbers.

I would also say that while the "well healed" who give to these high brow schools want to win and will foot the bill for scholarships to the athletically inclined but poor players, this has it's limits. What they REALLY want is for little Johnny to play on a winner, not to pay the tuition of a player that is going to take little Johnny's place on the team. They might absorb more players this year, but I really don't think they are willing to bring in 100 ringers.

As with everything, there is a trickle down effect...The elite 5-star HS players are going to find their way onto elite D1 programs...4 star will probably also find their way into D1 programs...most 3 stars that would have gone to a D1 will begrugingly play at a DII (at least for a year)...all the damage will be consentrated in the 2 stat/1 star/PWO category and without that athletic "hook," probably more than a few of them will opt out of college all together.
              Last edited by boatcapt; 04-15-2021, 07:12 AM.

Comment

• John Williams has taken his name out of the portal and is returning to play at Glenville State next season.

Comment

• Originally posted by JDonAB92 View Post
                  John Williams has taken his name out of the portal and is returning to play at Glenville State next season.
                  Would love it if they played movie score from superman when introducing him. :-)

Comment

• Former Cal player Tim Smith Jr. signed with D2 Walsh.

Comment

• FYI: 618 D2 players entered portal and 90% have not yet found a home as of 4/15/21

9% have found a home and only 3.56% of those entering the portal have landed in D1. Of the 22 landing in D1 only 2 are < 6'1". Most landed in lower D1.
                      Only 1 landed in Power 5.

Source: verbalcommits.com
                      Prev Level D2
                      Row Labels Count of Name Count of New Level
                      Complete 58 9.39%
                      D1 22 3.56%
                      D2 21 3.40%
                      neither D1 nor D2 15 2.43%
                      In Portal 560 90.61%
                      560 90.61%
                      Grand Total 618 100.00%
                      Last edited by Columbuseer; 04-15-2021, 03:28 PM.

Comment

• Interesting. But, keep in mind VC isn't the actual portal.

I know of one team in the PSAC West that has lost 7-8 guys this off-season and none have yet been listed in VC.

Comment

• Comment

• Parker Fox picked Minnesota.

Comment

• Chandler Jacobs, D2 All American, has committed to Texas Tech.

Comment

• Daylin Lee leaving WVWC. He had a real nice year there. (But I hope he doesn't have his eyes on D1--he'll likely end up disappointed)

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X