Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Staten and Horsey leaving WV State.
    Does this make then ineligible for the Elite 8?

Comment

Originally posted by Scrub View Post

That was predicted by most Central Region posters. Fox is 100% a D1 talent.
      IMHO there were 5 D1 caliper players on the court Tuesday night...Fox-Kallman & 1-12-33 for NW
      Last edited by NWFanatic; 03-21-2021, 05:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NWFanatic View Post

Does this make then ineligible for the Elite 8?
        They're players from West Virginia State University--a team that didn't even make the regional tournament. No worries about the Elite 8.

Comment

They're players from West Virginia State University--a team that didn't even make the regional tournament. No worries about the Elite 8.
          Oops-just saw the WL moniker-

Comment

NDC lost another starter today: Jordan Roland.

Comment

Marcin Wiz leaving UPJ.

That's rare. Ruk almost never has anybody leave.

Duquesne signed a D2 player today from Lenoir-Rhyne.

The big guy from Northern State is getting heavy interest. Word is Boston College and Butler are heavily interested among many others.

Comment

Any rumors on Dale Bonner?

It's harder for guards to go up than bigs in most cases.

I couldn't find much (anything) on several transfer recruiting boards.

Comment

I wonder if coaches are waiting until after tourney to see if transfer rates start to quiesce before deciding who to offer.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                    Any rumors on Dale Bonner?

It's harder for guards to go up than bigs in most cases.

I couldn't find much (anything) on several transfer recruiting boards.
                    Just ask Yahel Hill who played all of 8 minutes in Cleveland State's first-round loss the other night. His final stat line was 0-2 from the field with 2 turnovers. When instead, he could have been playing 28 minutes and scoring 17 points in a D2 Elite Eight contest on Wednesday. Just doesn't seem worth it.

Comment

Just ask Yahel Hill who played all of 8 minutes in Cleveland State's first-round loss the other night. His final stat line was 0-2 from the field with 2 turnovers. When instead, he could have been playing 28 minutes and scoring 17 points in a D2 Elite Eight contest on Wednesday. Just doesn't seem worth it.
                      I don't want to say guards are more dime a dozen, but elite bigs are hard to find.

Granted, elite D2 bigs won't be near as dominant in the upper D1 ranks. But, it seems every team can never have enough good post players..

Look at the D2 ranks. You can replace a guard so much easier than a good post player.

Comment

It's all in the eyes of the beholder. To many, playing at a small D2 (albeit elite school) doesn't have the same appeal as playing at a mid major. I'm not saying that's how I feel, but it's all how you view it. For certain people, it's the D1 appeal, the twitter following, the free gear, etc. For many, it's the opportunity to get to the real dance. To have that March Madness theme song playing in the background when you run onto the court as a 15 seed on TBS. These kids dream of playing in that tournament. Not playing for West Liberty in front of 1,200 people. That sounds harsh, but that's the reality of it. I don't agree with the whole mindset, but you only get one shot at your college career. We all love the programs we root for, but outside of a uniquely small group of people, nobody views Division 2 sports the same way that we do.

Football players routinely choose the MAC over going to really strong D2 football programs. Is playing at Akron a better deal than playing at Grand Valley State? Who knows, but most of those kids who play at Akron will all remember the day they walked into Ohio Stadium and got to play in front of 109,000 people. Did they get their clocks cleaned? Probably, but I'm not sure those guys really care when they look back at the memory.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

It's all in the eyes of the beholder. To many, playing at a small D2 (albeit elite school) doesn't have the same appeal as playing at a mid major. I'm not saying that's how I feel, but it's all how you view it. For certain people, it's the D1 appeal, the twitter following, the free gear, etc. For many, it's the opportunity to get to the real dance. To have that March Madness theme song playing in the background when you run onto the court as a 15 seed on TBS. These kids dream of playing in that tournament. Not playing for West Liberty in front of 1,200 people. That sounds harsh, but that's the reality of it. I don't agree with the whole mindset, but you only get one shot at your college career. We all love the programs we root for, but outside of a uniquely small group of people, nobody views Division 2 sports the same way that we do.

Football players routinely choose the MAC over going to really strong D2 football programs. Is playing at Akron a better deal than playing at Grand Valley State? Who knows, but most of those kids who play at Akron will all remember the day they walked into Ohio Stadium and got to play in front of 109,000 people. Did they get their clocks cleaned? Probably, but I'm not sure those guys really care when they look back at the memory.
                          That's well put, IUP24. Nice read on the situation.

That all makes a ton of sense. The only part that doesn't quite fit, though, is the playing time part. Maybe it's just because I was never an elite athlete with any designs on playing at any level, but I just feel like I'd have wanted to be on the floor in front of 1,200 people than on the bench in front of 35,000.

Comment

And these D2 guys might not realize it, but they do have people following them and rooting hard for them. I remember once when my wife, son, and I were out shopping years back, and we ran into Chris Morrow (who was a WLU post player at the time) in a store. My kid (maybe 7 years old at the time) went nuts. He was pointing and whispering. All he knew was that he had bought a ticket to watch this guy play (as a 7 year-old he had no idea he was one of only 1,200 in the arena), and the guy was a hero to him. And Morrow to his credit--even though he had a reputation for sometimes being a hot head on the court--was a true gentleman. He came right over and introduced himself to my kid and had a little chat. Made the kid's day. So those experiences of "stardom" are available to D2 guys in good programs. But they're fewer and farther between for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

Comment

Your point #7 has been on display these past few days. After watching a very high level MEC tournament and Atlantic Regional tournament, I keep watching these D1 games and wondering if these players have ever heard of shot selection.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X