Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

That is certainly one approach. The risk is that one wins the battle, but lose the war.
    Almost every coach is probably facing this challenge. I have heard Huggins complain that they are not running the plays he calls or doing what they practice. He realizes that an autocratic approach could result in 6 guys in the portal.

The players had good intentions. I think it takes a while for elite players, who are driven to win, to resist the temptation to take matters into their own hands. What if you had gotten very high accolades, and had been successful playing against pro and D1 players in the summer, are now facing some flunkie who can't hold a candle to you? You might see that trying to split two defenders is no big deal. Except you go stumbling, bumbling as a result of a no-call and turn the ball over. Or you mistakenly believe that you can finish in the low post against 3 guys and it is a higher percentage shot than kicking it out for an open three. In a system that allows players the freedom to make decisions, they were making decisions that did not maximize the team's chances of winning.

In the 3 losses, the WLU PPP was between 1.00 and 1.09, which is very good for a D1 team, for WLU was playing D1 style ball. But it is not good enough to win a high % of games against hot-shooting D2 teams that present matchup issues for WLU. WLU needs to be in the 1.25 PPP range.

Sometimes experience is the best teacher. I think the Coach showed long-term thinking and great leadership in having a meeting to get buy in after the three losses. According to his interview (think it was on sportline on wvmetronews.com), he told them that if we revert to WLU basketball, we can win most of our remaining games. If we keep playing the way we have these last 3 games, we stand a good chance of not making the NCAA tournament. It worked.

Some great leaders have the same approach. Some quotes follow (google Eisenhower quotes and Patton Quotes and there are some gems).

"Leadership is the art of getting someone else to do something you want done because he wants to do it."

Dwight D. Eisenhower

Gen. George Patton
    Patton was also known for slapping a couple of soldiers for not living up to his expectations...sooooooo!!

Not saying Ben should have immediately sat the offending player(s) but there should have been an arc of correction that would/should end with "pine time." One of the things I like about WLU's style is the "everyone is held to the same standard" with the same expectation to identify when to shoot and when to pass. Allowing certain players to get away with hero ball, no matter how well intentioned those players may be, runs counter to that and could cause the rest of the team to wonder if the players on the team are really as equal as coach says.

I recall a WLU transfer player who came in with great credentials but just refused to play the WLU style. As I recall, when he played he scored quite a bit. Buuuuttttt...His minutes kept going down and down and down and he ultimately transfered out.

Comment

• Anyone heard what teams are considering conley or hazelbaker?
      I know it is way early.

Comment

• Austin Butler (Bryce's older bro) has signed with Charlotte.

Comment

Anyone heard what teams are considering conley or hazelbaker?
          I know it is way early.
          I wouldn't be shocked if Hazelbaker lands in the PSAC.

I'll leave it at that.

Comment

Anyone heard what teams are considering conley or hazelbaker?
            I know it is way early.

Thing is it's not that early. It's April -- and the market is completely flooded. Rosters at most of the better programs are full by now -- or real close.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I wouldn't be shocked if Hazelbaker lands in the PSAC.

I'll leave it at that.
              Whoever gets him is getting an incredbily intelligent student and a very hard worker. He was coming in early every morning before class to work out with Dalton, according to the game broadcast analyst guy (actually the AD and former women's coach).

Comment

Whoever gets him is getting an incredbily intelligent student and a very hard worker. He was coming in early every morning before class to work out with Dalton, according to the game broadcast analyst guy (actually the AD and former women's coach).
                I think he'd have been a great fit at IUP in Joe's system. The timing just isn't right. We're pretty much set at his position (unless they make room).

Comment

• WL guard Dalton Bolon just entered the portal as a grad transfer.

Comment

WL guard Dalton Bolon just entered the portal as a grad transfer.
                    I assume that means he's trying his hand at D1. Either that, or he's heading to NW Missouri. There aren't too many places in D2 where the grass is greener.

Comment

• And, in truth, I don't feel that as badly as I might otherwise. WLU would have lost him this year anyway if it weren't for the COVID freebie (due to him being a Senior). I truthfully expected him to leave . . . for Europe (not for D1). But if he wants to leave for D1, I won't begrudge him that opportunity. Best of luck to him. No one will outwork him, that's for sure!

Comment

• Been in grad school for two years. If he can get a deal in d1 where they would pay for both years of a second masters that would be tempting. Somewhat surprised as he was surely going to become #1 career scorer early next season. Wish him the best. All American and academic all American.

Comment

• Comment

WL guard Dalton Bolon just entered the portal as a grad transfer.
                            Sinking ship...

Comment

• That's a big loss! In his situation, I wouldn't be surprised if he's seeing if he can get on a tourney caliber D1 and if not, seek a Euro pro offer.

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                                That's a big loss! In his situation, I wouldn't be surprised if he's seeing if he can get on a tourney caliber D1 and if not, seek a Euro pro offer.
                                Wonder if he gets a shot in Morgantown or at Pitt?

I wouldn't be shocked if Joe takes a look at Hazelbaker now that they lost out on Casale.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X