Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

I cannot watch d1 either with the exception of Gonzaga. Too many bad decisions and lack of teamwork. Also
    micro managing coaches who are slowing the pace of the game by not looking to score until 13 secs remaining.
    I am not enough of a "junkie" about college basketball like some on this board are to care as much about the "bad decisions and lack of teamwork" or "fundamentals," but the overcoaching kills me. The guy I can't stand is Tony Bennett. When he went back to his hotel the night after they lost to UMBC, I hope he took a good, long look in the mirror. Because the guy staring at him is the exact reason why they were the first #1 seed to lose to a #16 seed. Deservedly so. And if you recall, the previous year, they barely escaped as a #1 seed against Coastal Carolina. I've never thought much about his team's at UVA. Can't stand them mostly. Think they are just atrocious to watch. I don't want to tune in to watch Tony Bennett coach, throw his arms in the air on the sideline every defensive possession, and ask his team to burn 3 more seconds off the shot clock when they have the ball. And he keeps getting great players to go there.

Over the course of 30-35 games in the regular season, that style will win you games in surplus. But it's not what wins in the NCAA Tournament. The fact they won the Tournament two years ago still bugs me. A ton of luck went into that championship. They were legitimately handed 2 victories in games that they had effectively lost. They also had a miraculous win against Purdue in the Elite 8. There were three games along the way they had absolutely no business winning.

In no world was Tony Bennett's team less talented than UMBC. Not even a freaking chance. But, when you want to win games in the 50s/low 60s, you reap what you sow. His approach is to limit possessions, but when your team goes cold in a first round NCAA Tournament game against a team that that couldn't miss, you're bound to lose. You can't play that way in a one and done scenario and expect to achieve success playing that style. I'm fully convinced that had Tony Bennett remained in the locker room that night, and his guys just taken the floor and played "streetball," they would have run UMBC out of the building. But he coached, and coached, and coached, and coached.. And played "his game." And they were on the wrong end of history.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

I am not enough of a "junkie" about college basketball like some on this board are to care as much about the "bad decisions and lack of teamwork" or "fundamentals," but the overcoaching kills me. The guy I can't stand is Tony Bennett. When he went back to his hotel the night after they lost to UMBC, I hope he took a good, long look in the mirror. Because the guy staring at him is the exact reason why they were the first #1 seed to lose to a #16 seed. Deservedly so. And if you recall, the previous year, they barely escaped as a #1 seed against Coastal Carolina. I've never thought much about his team's at UVA. Can't stand them mostly. Think they are just atrocious to watch. I don't want to tune in to watch Tony Bennett coach, throw his arms in the air on the sideline every defensive possession, and ask his team to burn 3 more seconds off the shot clock when they have the ball. And he keeps getting great players to go there.

Over the course of 30-35 games in the regular season, that style will win you games in surplus. But it's not what wins in the NCAA Tournament. The fact they won the Tournament two years ago still bugs me. A ton of luck went into that championship. They were legitimately handed 2 victories in games that they had effectively lost. They also had a miraculous win against Purdue in the Elite 8. There were three games along the way they had absolutely no business winning.

In no world was Tony Bennett's team less talented than UMBC. Not even a freaking chance. But, when you want to win games in the 50s/low 60s, you reap what you sow. His approach is to limit possessions, but when your team goes cold in a first round NCAA Tournament game against a team that that couldn't miss, you're bound to lose. You can't play that way in a one and done scenario and expect to achieve success playing that style. I'm fully convinced that had Tony Bennett remained in the locker room that night, and his guys just taken the floor and played "streetball," they would have run UMBC out of the building. But he coached, and coached, and coached, and coached.. And played "his game." And they were on the wrong end of history.
      Great example of micro managing. Great analysis.

Comment

Mercyhurst is the D2 version of Virginia.

Comment

I agree with most. However, Tony and his system won the last game of the season. Cutting down the final net stays with you forever.

IUP nor WL has ever won the last game.

As I always quote ... if you don't win the last game of the season ... nobody gives a F.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I agree with most. However, Tony and his system won the last game of the season. Cutting down the final net stays with you forever.

IUP nor WL has ever won the last game.

As I always quote ... if you don't win the last game of the season ... nobody gives a F.
            It is hard to argue against a coach when all he does is win.

Bennett has the highest winning percentage in UVA history and also the highest winning percentage in Washington State history. As of 2020, Bennett has led the Cavaliers to one NCAA Tournament Championship, two ACC Tournament Championships, and has topped or shared first place in the ACC regular season standings five times.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bart View Post

It is hard to argue against a coach when all he does is win.
              Many different approaches to win games. Key is to consistently achieve a high points per possession. Gonzaga, nwmsu, and wlu all have very high ppp and demonstrate that winning basketball can actually be fun for players to play. However to win a national championship requires some luck in games and matchups. Some folks think that to win it all in d1 u need 2 or 3 nba level players.

Comment

The team I root for had their only brush with national relevance in 3 plus decades playing similarly to what Virginia does. I wish they had been able to sustain it.

A natty, multiple ACC tournament titles and 6 top 2 ACC regular season finishes in the last 7 seasons? Tony Bennett can overcoach my team any day.

Comment

Many different approaches to win games. Key is to consistently achieve a high points per possession. Gonzaga, nwmsu, and wlu all have very high ppp and demonstrate that winning basketball can actually be fun for players to play. However to win a national championship requires some luck in games and matchups. Some folks think that to win it all in d1 u need 2 or 3 nba level players.
                  Teams don't get to the championship games if they don't grind it out during the season. Tark's UNLV teams running and gunning were fun to watch for some, but it is a difference of philosophy. As long as the team is winning, everyone is happy. "Just win baby"

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post

The team I root for had their only brush with national relevance in 3 plus decades playing similarly to what Virginia does. I wish they had been able to sustain it.

A natty, multiple ACC tournament titles and 6 top 2 ACC regular season finishes in the last 7 seasons? Tony Bennett can overcoach my team any day.
                    Not to mention UVA was a dumpster fire when he took over.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Not to mention UVA was a dumpster fire when he took over.
                      And they have pretty high academic standards for admission. Not just anybody gets in there

Comment

• FYI
                        Elite academic D1 schools have lower admission standards for athletes so it is much easier for athletes to get accepted than for non athletes who want to attend solely to learn. I would not be surprised if there are far fewer full ride (tuition, books, and room and board) scholarships available for brilliant students than for athletes. We may be losing our science and technology leadership, but the world will never catch up to the USA in basketball! ;-)

from uva report in 2019
                        https://news.virginia.edu/content/un...udent-athletes

UVA assigns ultimate authority for decisions regarding student-athlete admissions to the dean of undergraduate admission.

Today, more than 750 student-athletes represent the University in 27 intercollegiate programs.

As is true at all NCAA Division I universities, athletic skill and anticipated team contribution are factors in admission to the University, and some scholarships and spaces in the incoming first-year class are specifically designated for student?athletes. All student-athletes who are accepted must also demonstrate the potential for academic success at the University, and the review revealed a number of cases in which athletically talented recruits were denied admission.

The review did not uncover cheating on the SAT or ACT or other standardized tests, nor misrepresentation of academic credentials by prospective student?athletes, as was true in the federal cases being prosecuted. The review also found no evidence of private payments made to athletics or admissions personnel for exercising illicit influence.

The review did identify a small number of cases from several years ago where the prospect of a gift appears to have motivated the recruitment of student-athletes. The review also found a few instances where recruited student-athletes did not ultimately participate on the team for which they were recruited, for reasons the University was unable to confirm. To protect the privacy of those students, the University will not discuss specific cases.

Last edited by Columbuseer; 05-06-2021, 08:42 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bart View Post

Teams don't get to the championship games if they don't grind it out during the season. Tark's UNLV teams running and gunning were fun to watch for some, but it is a difference of philosophy. As long as the team is winning, everyone is happy. "Just win baby"
                          Typically running and gunning does not consistently result in high points per possession. The phrase is often inappropriately applied to teams who score over 85 points per game. Look at average scoring margin for gonzaga, nwmsu, wlu, etc. that is not run and gun. Grinnell is run and gun.

Comment

FYI
                            Elite academic D1 schools have lower admission standards for athletes so it is much easier for athletes to get accepted than for non athletes who want to attend solely to learn. I would not be surprised if there are far fewer full ride (tuition, books, and room and board) scholarships available for brilliant students than for athletes. We may be losing our science and technology leadership, but the world will never catch up to the USA in basketball! ;-)

from uva report in 2019
                            https://news.virginia.edu/content/un...udent-athletes

UVA assigns ultimate authority for decisions regarding student-athlete admissions to the dean of undergraduate admission.

Today, more than 750 student-athletes represent the University in 27 intercollegiate programs.

As is true at all NCAA Division I universities, athletic skill and anticipated team contribution are factors in admission to the University, and some scholarships and spaces in the incoming first-year class are specifically designated for student?athletes. All student-athletes who are accepted must also demonstrate the potential for academic success at the University, and the review revealed a number of cases in which athletically talented recruits were denied admission.

The review did not uncover cheating on the SAT or ACT or other standardized tests, nor misrepresentation of academic credentials by prospective student?athletes, as was true in the federal cases being prosecuted. The review also found no evidence of private payments made to athletics or admissions personnel for exercising illicit influence.

The review did identify a small number of cases from several years ago where the prospect of a gift appears to have motivated the recruitment of student-athletes. The review also found a few instances where recruited student-athletes did not ultimately participate on the team for which they were recruited, for reasons the University was unable to confirm. To protect the privacy of those students, the University will not discuss specific cases.

For the truly elite D1 academic schools (Duke, Stanford, Northwestern, Rice, Vanderbilt, Notre Dame, Cal, etc) the players still have to fit a much higher admission criteria than say, Ohio State. Head coaches, ADs, and senior Admissions folk usually agree on a number of "spots" each team gets (including transfers) as long as they meet the lower admission standard, which is usually only a standard deviation or two away from the other kids. Johnny Football with his 1,000 SAT and 2.75 GPA doesn't even get recruited. This is also usually used for kids of big time alumni. The mean & median scores of standard applicants usually covers for the lower criteria so the rankings folk and general snooty alumni never notice.

The G5 and Mid Major programs - YIKES. When I worked at one D1 school I started noticing how poorly the men's basketball players could communicate, so I got curious and looked up admissions info. Of the players who came in as true freshmen, the average SAT was something just above 800. Sheesh.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

For the truly elite D1 academic schools (Duke, Stanford, Northwestern, Rice, Vanderbilt, Notre Dame, Cal, etc) the players still have to fit a much higher admission criteria than say, Ohio State. Head coaches, ADs, and senior Admissions folk usually agree on a number of "spots" each team gets (including transfers) as long as they meet the lower admission standard, which is usually only a standard deviation or two away from the other kids. Johnny Football with his 1,000 SAT and 2.75 GPA doesn't even get recruited. This is also usually used for kids of big time alumni. The mean & median scores of standard applicants usually covers for the lower criteria so the rankings folk and general snooty alumni never notice.

The G5 and Mid Major programs - YIKES. When I worked at one D1 school I started noticing how poorly the men's basketball players could communicate, so I got curious and looked up admissions info. Of the players who came in as true freshmen, the average SAT was something just above 800. Sheesh.

Comment

• Have you watched the Netflix documentary on it? I think it explains pretty well how all of this went down.

Jared Kushner is a common example of donor money getting a kid into a school that would never have accepted him. Its assumed his father in law got into Penn with similar circumstances. In lower profile schools you know damn well this happens all the time but probably not so clear that it assumes quid-pro-quo.

For scholarships, it depends on the type of school. Public vs private matters big time. Private schools at all levels just discount tuition and call it a scholarship. Average private school basically gives most students a 50% off coupon. At the DII level, public schools usually don't have the academic scholarship dollars that they have in athletics. So overall academic scholarships are the overwhelming majority of private school "scholarships" but its all part of the business model. At state schools, its athletics. Some big time state schools have very little academic scholarship money. Penn State is notorious for low academic scholarships. My sister 20+ years ago had a 1500 SAT and 4.3 weighted GPA and only got $2,500 a year at Penn State when small dinky privates were offering free rides.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X