Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm a WSU fan and can say that Tony took over a run-down Cougar program. His dad coached it for 3 years, but even he couldn't get the Cougars up and running with 3 straight losing seasons, the last one last in the conference. That said, he did set a foundation for Tony with some good recruits and a system that worked well for tiny/remote Pullman, Washington. He had two 25-win seasons and a Sweet 16 berth, they haven't done that since he left. They were consistently among the leaders in the nation in defense at WSU and now at UVa. It's not a pleasing system to the eyes, it's a grind-it-out/run the shot clock down, play rugged defense. It created a national title.

I'll give the poster one thing: If the lined up and played rat ball vs. UMBC, they run them off the court. Also, Tony left in a hurry out of Pullman, barely acknowledging the fans and the school that gave him his first head coaching job when previously before coming as lead assistant, he was the No. 4 assistant at Wisconsin and couldn't get a MAC interview. Most D-1 rich, fat cats are the most ungrateful people on the planet. Apparently God told him to take the UVa job, according to Tony and his wife. God told me I'm supposed to date a supermodel ... I'm still waiting.

D-1 ball is getting unwatchable, I liked watching players go through their career at a school. Now it's 1-and-done or 3-schools or even 4 schools. Coach K, Izzo, nasty Boeheim, cheatin' Roy, and others, could've changed the whole AAU and transfer culture, but they didn't want to do it because it served THEM.

I hope D2 ball doesn't become D1 ball.

Comment

• Originally posted by tsull View Post
      I'm a WSU fan and can say that Tony took over a run-down Cougar program. His dad coached it for 3 years, but even he couldn't get the Cougars up and running with 3 straight losing seasons, the last one last in the conference. That said, he did set a foundation for Tony with some good recruits and a system that worked well for tiny/remote Pullman, Washington. He had two 25-win seasons and a Sweet 16 berth, they haven't done that since he left. They were consistently among the leaders in the nation in defense at WSU and now at UVa. It's not a pleasing system to the eyes, it's a grind-it-out/run the shot clock down, play rugged defense. It created a national title.

I'll give the poster one thing: If the lined up and played rat ball vs. UMBC, they run them off the court. Also, Tony left in a hurry out of Pullman, barely acknowledging the fans and the school that gave him his first head coaching job when previously before coming as lead assistant, he was the No. 4 assistant at Wisconsin and couldn't get a MAC interview. Most D-1 rich, fat cats are the most ungrateful people on the planet. Apparently God told him to take the UVa job, according to Tony and his wife. God told me I'm supposed to date a supermodel ... I'm still waiting.

D-1 ball is getting unwatchable, I liked watching players go through their career at a school. Now it's 1-and-done or 3-schools or even 4 schools. Coach K, Izzo, nasty Boeheim, cheatin' Roy, and others, could've changed the whole AAU and transfer culture, but they didn't want to do it because it served THEM.

Great insights.
      I wish ncaa would add stats for a team's points per possession and points per possession allowed ( opponent). The opponent points scored per game is misleading because it is skewed by pace of play. Only 7% of d1 teams exceed 1.0 points per possession. Gonzaga, nwmsu and wlu are over 1.25 while also having large scoring margins ( which indicates difference in points per possession compared to opponent).

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Have you watched the Netflix documentary on it? I think it explains pretty well how all of this went down.

Jared Kushner is a common example of donor money getting a kid into a school that would never have accepted him. Its assumed his father in law got into Penn with similar circumstances. In lower profile schools you know damn well this happens all the time but probably not so clear that it assumes quid-pro-quo.

For scholarships, it depends on the type of school. Public vs private matters big time. Private schools at all levels just discount tuition and call it a scholarship. Average private school basically gives most students a 50% off coupon. At the DII level, public schools usually don't have the academic scholarship dollars that they have in athletics. So overall academic scholarships are the overwhelming majority of private school "scholarships" but its all part of the business model. At state schools, its athletics. Some big time state schools have very little academic scholarship money. Penn State is notorious for low academic scholarships. My sister 20+ years ago had a 1500 SAT and 4.3 weighted GPA and only got $2,500 a year at Penn State when small dinky privates were offering free rides.
        --------
        FYI Just an interesting factoid.

Former President Trump's uncle was a world renowned professor at MIT. it is fallacious reasoning to assume he was not qualified for Penn, just as it is fallacious reasoning to assume that he was a brilliant student just because his uncle was smart. It is an open question.

According to MIT, Prof John Trump focused on high voltage phenomena, electron acceleration and the interaction of radiation with living and non-living matter. He also designed X-ray generators for cancer therapy.
        During World War Two, Prof Trump researched radars for the Allies. When legendary physicist Nikola Tesla died in 1943, Prof Trump was asked by the FBI to examine Tesla's papers and equipment.
        Prof Trump co-founded a company making generators for use in nuclear research, according to MIT archives.
        -----------

Back on topic, it is really disheartening to hear about the dearth of scholarships at Penn State. A close friend's daughter got a full ride to Ohio State that was awarded by a major science Corp and I got the impression they were also as scarce as hen's teeth for non athletes.

Might be a good freedom of information request to see stats on full rides for public colleges.

Comment

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
          --------
          FYI Just an interesting factoid.

Former President Trump's uncle was a world renowned professor at MIT. it is fallacious reasoning to assume he was not qualified for Penn, just as it is fallacious reasoning to assume that he was a brilliant student just because his uncle was smart. It is an open question.

According to MIT, Prof John Trump focused on high voltage phenomena, electron acceleration and the interaction of radiation with living and non-living matter. He also designed X-ray generators for cancer therapy.
          During World War Two, Prof Trump researched radars for the Allies. When legendary physicist Nikola Tesla died in 1943, Prof Trump was asked by the FBI to examine Tesla's papers and equipment.
          Prof Trump co-founded a company making generators for use in nuclear research, according to MIT archives.
          -----------

Back on topic, it is really disheartening to hear about the dearth of scholarships at Penn State. A close friend's daughter got a full ride to Ohio State that was awarded by a major science Corp and I got the impression they were also as scarce as hen's teeth for non athletes.

Might be a good freedom of information request to see stats on full rides for public colleges.
          In Pennsylvania, Penn State (as well as state-funded Pitt and Temple) aren't subject to FOI. The PSAC schools are fully covered since they're state owned and operated. If a student gets a full ride, they are usually one of a handful of honors students.

Comment

I'm a WSU fan and can say that Tony took over a run-down Cougar program. His dad coached it for 3 years, but even he couldn't get the Cougars up and running with 3 straight losing seasons, the last one last in the conference. That said, he did set a foundation for Tony with some good recruits and a system that worked well for tiny/remote Pullman, Washington. He had two 25-win seasons and a Sweet 16 berth, they haven't done that since he left. They were consistently among the leaders in the nation in defense at WSU and now at UVa. It's not a pleasing system to the eyes, it's a grind-it-out/run the shot clock down, play rugged defense. It created a national title.

My greatest fear is we become the minor leagues -- meaning players come here to develop and 'build their brand' and then jump ship after 1-2 years.

Believe me, Dale Bonner signing with Baylor could be the fuel to really, really change things. Not only will players across D2 see this, but so will coaches. For years I think the notion of a mighty D1 being interested in D2 players was seen as taboo. Now, we've seen D2 players sign with high-level mid-majors, the defending D1 champion, the Big 10, etc.

Dale Bonner is a very good player. Baylor good? We'll see. Being honest, he wasn't even the best player in the Atlantic Region (you could argue maybe not even at Fairmont State). So, will others in the Atlantic see this and start to wonder?

IUP has one of the best players in the country in Armoni Foster (IUP didn't play this year). If I was Joe Lombardi, I'd probably lock him up on campus lol.

Trust me. I get it for Dale Bonner. The bush leagues to the penthouse. Great for him. But, I'm a D2 fan. So, these jumps worry me.

Comment

• I think the transfer portal will eventually reach some equilibrium, but we are not there yet.
              1. There will be a significant number of players left standing alone at the altar of the transfer portal.
              2. Some great d2 players will get limited minutes, especially in the higher echelon d1 schools.
              3. Players will look in the mirror and realize they do not have the measurables to make the NBA regardless of their skills and what their handlers say. So why go to a d1 star system, high ball screen dribble drive offense rather than a euro style offense team so one can play overseas?
              4. I can always dream, but maybe, just maybe players will start considering their academic future first, then basketball second.

what we need is a neutral, outside group that can assess the player's skills prior to going to the portal. Kind of like getting an nba assessment so players can make decisions based on reality.

Comment

• Sports is slowly killing itself. Sportswriters want super leagues but the fans don't, see the European soccer league attempts to make a super league, the fans absolutely did not want it and the owners had to apologize.

I read a great book called "Game On" by an ESPN writer and he did a lot of research and found 70% of kids who participate iniddle school sports quit before they get to high school sports. Why hasn't that raised any red flags?

The one and dones, the three-, four-, and five- school transfer basketball players is really turning off people. I work in a public school in a large suburban city that has a division 2 college, and I live in Boise, idaho. The rabbidness of BSU football has greatly diminished even while they were winning

Hardly any boys in our school are even interested in participating or watching sports. I would say out of 500 kids maybe five like sports. The only kids who go to the local division 2 sports games are kids of parents who work at the university, and the local university is pretty good in D2 Athletics.

Ego msniacs like division one athletic directors, and football and men's basketball coach only see things through their paycheck not the welfare of their own sport. Have you ever seen these multi-zillionaires offer a free clinic for kids? I haven't. I love sports but I'm tired of people killing it just for their own money grabbing greediness.

I hope division 2 stays on its own path of quality college amateur sports

Comment

Sports is slowly killing itself. Sportswriters want super leagues but the fans don't, see the European soccer league attempts to make a super league, the fans absolutely did not want it and the owners had to apologize.

I read a great book called "Game On" by an ESPN writer and he did a lot of research and found 70% of kids who participate iniddle school sports quit before they get to high school sports. Why hasn't that raised any red flags?

The one and dones, the three-, four-, and five- school transfer basketball players is really turning off people. I work in a public school in a large suburban city that has a division 2 college, and I live in Boise, idaho. The rabbidness of BSU football has greatly diminished even while they were winning

Hardly any boys in our school are even interested in participating or watching sports. I would say out of 500 kids maybe five like sports. The only kids who go to the local division 2 sports games are kids of parents who work at the university, and the local university is pretty good in D2 Athletics.

Ego msniacs like division one athletic directors, and football and men's basketball coach only see things through their paycheck not the welfare of their own sport. Have you ever seen these multi-zillionaires offer a free clinic for kids? I haven't. I love sports but I'm tired of people killing it just for their own money grabbing greediness.

I hope division 2 stays on its own path of quality college amateur sports
                  Great insights. At least among the 20s age group, more and more could care less about ohio state athletics. The money grab extends down to AAU, who are feeding parents and kids delusions of scholarships and pro careers while not developing their fundamentals. Other than Gonzaga, I find d1 difficult to watch. D2 has a far higher % of serious students and the absence of mega $ has shielded it from much of the corruption that is D1.

Comment

Great insights. At least among the 20s age group, more and more could care less about ohio state athletics. The money grab extends down to AAU, who are feeding parents and kids delusions of scholarships and pro careers while not developing their fundamentals. Other than Gonzaga, I find d1 difficult to watch. D2 has a far higher % of serious students and the absence of mega $ has shielded it from much of the corruption that is D1.
                    Reality is mighty Ohio State could care less about the 20-somes. They don't have any money. They will eventually and that's when they come back around. Columbus is about as insane of a city when it comes to a college football team as you can find. It's right up there with the mighty southern schools. Nick Saban is more powerful in Alabama than Jesus Christ himself.

It's a double-edge sword. The basketball you speak of ... kids find boring. They want the D1/NBA dunk fests, etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

It's a double-edge sword. The basketball you speak of ... kids find boring. They want the D1/NBA dunk fests, etc.
                      Yep, and kids are stupid if they think they're making the NBA unless they are really, really good. I just glanced at last year's NBA draft. The top 10 went like this:
                      1. Frosh from Georgia
                      2. Frosh who played 3 games for Memphis
                      3. LeMelo Ball from Europe or Australia or dad's garage, don't know, didn't play college.
                      4. Frosh Florida State
                      5. Frosh Auburn
                      6. Frosh USC
                      7. Pro from Germany
                      8. Soph from Dayton
                      9. Pro from Israel
                      10. Soph from Maryland

The rest of the draft is like this. If a kid isn't an NBA prospect by his freshman year of college, he probably won't make the league. They're drafting totally on potential now, not college stats.

Back on my previous post, I find is interesting that most college coaches have no desire to grow their sport. I guess if one gets millions of year, why should they care? They could put on 10 free clinics for kids and not lose a dime from their wealthy bank accounts and inspire kids to play the game, but they don't care. College basketball has dropped in attendance each year the last 5 years, the coaches don't care. As long as they get their paycheck, that's all that matters. Seriously, would Huggins, Boeheim, coach K, Calipari, really care about their sport? I'd argue they don't love basketball, they sort of like it and it's a nice paying job. If it paid $100K they wouldn't be in it. Then they go to the media and wonder why people aren't going to games.

Comment

Reality is mighty Ohio State could care less about the 20-somes. They don't have any money. They will eventually and that's when they come back around. Columbus is about as insane of a city when it comes to a college football team as you can find. It's right up there with the mighty southern schools. Nick Saban is more powerful in Alabama than Jesus Christ himself.

You are right about 20- somes having no $... now. Wait 30 years and OSU may care very much. Also, should a major class action CTE lawsuit win, major corporate donors will consider football the 3rd rail and disappear. All of the practice contact limits are a rear guard action to postpone the day of reckoning.

Comment

You are right about 20- somes having no $... now. Wait 30 years and OSU may care very much. Also, should a major class action CTE lawsuit win, major corporate donors will consider football the 3rd rail and disappear. All of the practice contact limits are a rear guard action to postpone the day of reckoning.
                          There's the next double-edge sword. I don't know how you can play football effectively on Saturday when you're not allowed to play much football during the week. We are sure seeing the results. Tackling is awful. Injuries are way up. It's like boxing without being allowed to spar. I read many articles on this topic last year. Defensive coaches are losing their minds ... saying they can't just expect kids to push a button on Saturday and become violent, technically-sound hitters.

But, hey, they want more offense on Saturday, so perhaps they are on to something.

Comment

There's the next double-edge sword. I don't know how you can play football effectively on Saturday when you're not allowed to play much football during the week. We are sure seeing the results. Tackling is awful. Injuries are way up. It's like boxing without being allowed to spar. I read many articles on this topic last year. Defensive coaches are losing their minds ... saying they can't just expect kids to push a button on Saturday and become violent, technically-sound hitters.

But, hey, they want more offense on Saturday, so perhaps they are on to something.
                            The players have outgrown the game. The magnitude of the forces involved are damaging. Regardless of the safety equipment, the brain still smashes against the inside of the skull casing on impact (Newton's Lawa of Motion). Might be looking at some sort of flag football in the future.

Comment

That was really the sole point of my post. Look, I recognize that you need structure to win consistently. I'm not advocating for never working hard on the defensive end of the court, but enough is enough with how Tony Bennett wants to win. People on this board scream about Mercyhurst and how Gannon used to play under John Reily, but they're now defending Tony Bennett after my post. There's a ton of luck that goes into winning a national championship. You can't take away the trophy, but there were 2-3 games in that run where they were provided a victory from the jaws of defeat. I respect Virginia and Mercyhurst. Great programs, but I just hate the way they play basketball.

He gets great players to go there and play that style, so I suppose that says something. It's just nauseating to watch a team that wants to win every game 60-55. I don't see that as enjoyable basketball to play or watch. West Liberty fans hate the way the PSAC plays, and the PSAC isn't remotely close to the way they played basketball 10 years ago. On the contrary, I think teams winning games in the Mountain East 118-109 is laughable. In my opinion, there's got to be a middle ground somewhere. I love the way that Joe Lombardi coaches IUP. They have really adapted since I started following IUP basketball in 2011. There's multiple ways to be a consistent winner.

When you've won the last game of the season, I suppose that's all the validation that you need. But sports are typically copycat leagues, and typically winning formulas are imitated once proven to work. Wouldn't most people hate if more teams tried to emulate Virginia's style of play on the basis of "they won the last game of the season" by playing it? Is that the college basketball people really want to watch? I doubt it. With the talent and players that Tony Bennett gets, they should be able to open things up a little bit more. He's consistently putting out a roster better than 85-90% of college basketball.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

That was really the sole point of my post. Look, I recognize that you need structure to win consistently. I'm not advocating for never working hard on the defensive end of the court, but enough is enough with how Tony Bennett wants to win. People on this board scream about Mercyhurst and how Gannon used to play under John Reily, but they're now defending Tony Bennett after my post. There's a ton of luck that goes into winning a national championship. You can't take away the trophy, but there were 2-3 games in that run where they were provided a victory from the jaws of defeat. I respect Virginia and Mercyhurst. Great programs, but I just hate the way they play basketball.

He gets great players to go there and play that style, so I suppose that says something. It's just nauseating to watch a team that wants to win every game 60-55. I don't see that as enjoyable basketball to play or watch. West Liberty fans hate the way the PSAC plays, and the PSAC isn't remotely close to the way they played basketball 10 years ago. On the contrary, I think teams winning games in the Mountain East 118-109 is laughable. In my opinion, there's got to be a middle ground somewhere. I love the way that Joe Lombardi coaches IUP. They have really adapted since I started following IUP basketball in 2011. There's multiple ways to be a consistent winner.

When you've won the last game of the season, I suppose that's all the validation that you need. But sports are typically copycat leagues, and typically winning formulas are imitated once proven to work. Wouldn't most people hate if more teams tried to emulate Virginia's style of play on the basis of "they won the last game of the season" by playing it? Is that the college basketball people really want to watch? I doubt it. With the talent and players that Tony Bennett gets, they should be able to open things up a little bit more. He's consistently putting out a roster better than 85-90% of college basketball.
                                It's what works. Every coach does things that are maddening to fans. Joe Lombardi's dream rotation would be Iron Man basketball and 8 players redshirted. We've ended some painful seasons over as those tendencies.

Look at Pitt. Jamie's Panthers essentially were Virginia (before Virginia). He got run out despite being a constant Top 25 team for a decade and now the program is a dumpster fire.

Those kids know what they sign up for before they go play for Tony Bennett. That's his system. He's the boss. Don't like it ... go somewhere else.

Trust me, if IUP hired Gary Manchel and we had to watch that style of play for a full season I'd probably want to jump off a bridge. But, there's no denying in this era of AAU playground basketball, those teams can just completely shutdown 'prolific' offenses.

What was better than watching a 2014 Gannon vs. Mercyhurst game and the score being 12-11 at halftime?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X