Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

I thought it was odd, also. Then I thought of the quote that has helped me so much over the years:
    "When you come to a seeming contradiction, check your assumptions." Author Ayn Rand from the classic book "Atlas Shrugged" (which I highly recommend as an attitude changing book).

My possibly invalid assumption was that he entered the transfer portal BEFORE a team had promised him a roster spot.
    Coach Neal Brown of WVU says that tampering is widespread, but he cannot prove it.
    LOL, yeah, ... D1 recruiting is beyond cesspool level. Layers and layers of 'middle men' and handlers.

Comment

I thought it was odd, also. Then I thought of the quote that has helped me so much over the years:
      "When you come to a seeming contradiction, check your assumptions." Author Ayn Rand from the classic book "Atlas Shrugged" (which I highly recommend as an attitude changing book).

My possibly invalid assumption was that he entered the transfer portal BEFORE a team had promised him a roster spot.
      Coach Neal Brown of WVU says that tampering is widespread, but he cannot prove it.
      I remember reading an article after Sincere Carry decomitted from WLU to D1 Duquesne. It included an interview with the Duquesne HC in which he said that "Carry's people let it be known that Sincere was open to other offers even though he was committed to West Liberty. We let them know that if he decommitted, we would bring him in."

Seems like the NCAA view is that unless it is the actual player doing the contacting, it's not tampering. If it is a players "handler" who contacts a booster on another team who contacts the HC who then says there is a scholly waiting for that player...That ain't tampering.

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
        I remember reading an article after Sincere Carry decomitted from WLU to D1 Duquesne. It included an interview with the Duquesne HC in which he said that "Carry's people let it be known that Sincere was open to other offers even though he was committed to West Liberty. We let them know that if he decommitted, we would bring him in."

Seems like the NCAA view is that unless it is the actual player doing the contacting, it's not tampering. If it is a players "handler" who contacts a booster on another team who contacts the HC who then says there is a scholly waiting for that player...That ain't tampering.
        Mr. Karma bit the Dukes when Carry transferred to Kent State. ROFL.

Would not surprise me if NCAA implodes, and the charade will finally stop and D1 will officially acknowledge that they are a minor league and remove the term "student" from student-athlete (which was invented by the NCAA legal team to avoid considering athletes as employees and paying workers comp).

With the 9-0 Alston victory in the US Supreme Court, the expenses will increase so much for colleges that are already losing millions, that many will drop out of D1. Hartford just declared they will drop from D1 to D3. Once D1 athletes no longer have to pretend to be students, minor league D1 football/basketball schools will just sign them to contracts with benefits for future education and NIL $ and the back room nonsense will stop. I know I am probably dreaming.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

LOL, yeah, ... D1 recruiting is beyond cesspool level. Layers and layers of 'middle men' and handlers.
          A lot of D1 guys trying to convince Armoni Foster to enter the portal.

Comment

Mr. Karma bit the Dukes when Carry transferred to Kent State. ROFL.

Would not surprise me if NCAA implodes, and the charade will finally stop and D1 will officially acknowledge that they are a minor league and remove the term "student" from student-athlete (which was invented by the NCAA legal team to avoid considering athletes as employees and paying workers comp).

With the 9-0 Alston victory in the US Supreme Court, the expenses will increase so much for colleges that are already losing millions, that many will drop out of D1. Hartford just declared they will drop from D1 to D3. Once D1 athletes no longer have to pretend to be students, minor league D1 football/basketball schools will just sign them to contracts with benefits for future education and NIL $ and the back room nonsense will stop. I know I am probably dreaming.
            I wonder what this will do to players...not for them. I may be in the minority, but I'm really not interested in following and more importantly, buying merch, for my D1 team if that team is nothing more than a minor league team that shares the name of my particular D1 school. I also wonder if there will be stratification of salaries? Do "D1 Minor League Teams" pay more for a star QB than for a second string punter?? Will there be a limit in the number of years players can play for "D1 Minor League Teams" or can they play for 8, 9, 10+ years? Any free agency restrictions? Can that star QB play for say Clemson this year and then can Alabama simply throw money at the player and steal him away the next year? What about D1 Minor League Team players that have jumped to the NFL and became marginal players...Can they come back?? What about the aged NFL star? Can he come back and play?? What would prevent an NFL team from affiliating a D1 Minor League team as a true minor league team for them?

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

A lot of D1 guys trying to convince Armoni Foster to enter the portal.

Well, his phone would be ringing off the hook if he'd so choose to do that ... he's a bonafide D1 player.

But, he's a pretty loyal guy. And, his cousin is here on the team for the next two years. From what I've heard he has no interest in leaving.

Joe will have the roster to make two serious pushes the next two years.

Comment

Well, his phone would be ringing off the hook if he'd so choose to do that ... he's a bonafide D1 player.

But, he's a pretty loyal guy. And, his cousin is here on the team for the next two years. From what I've heard he has no interest in leaving.

And then retire.

Comment

And then retire.
                  Word is he wants to go 5-6 more years. Too easy of a gig here. Having Ethan Porterfield for three more years would keep most coaches around.

Comment

I hear IUP is LOADED! ;-)

Comment

I hear IUP is LOADED! ;-)
                      F-ing loaded.

#stacked

Comment

F-ing loaded.

#stacked
                        Hahahaha!! Seems like I've heard that before! #IUPisLoadedAF2021Edition

We hear about IUP being LOADED as often as we hear about an incoming WLU recruit being the best basketball player in the history of basketball playing!!

Comment

I wonder what this will do to players...not for them. I may be in the minority, but I'm really not interested in following and more importantly, buying merch, for my D1 team if that team is nothing more than a minor league team that shares the name of my particular D1 school. I also wonder if there will be stratification of salaries? Do "D1 Minor League Teams" pay more for a star QB than for a second string punter?? Will there be a limit in the number of years players can play for "D1 Minor League Teams" or can they play for 8, 9, 10+ years? Any free agency restrictions? Can that star QB play for say Clemson this year and then can Alabama simply throw money at the player and steal him away the next year? What about D1 Minor League Team players that have jumped to the NFL and became marginal players...Can they come back?? What about the aged NFL star? Can he come back and play?? What would prevent an NFL team from affiliating a D1 Minor League team as a true minor league team for them?
                          All reasonable questions but imho none are show stoppers here. They would just have to decide the issues. Since player would sign a minor league contract there would be no poaching like there is today. It would also eliminate the existing restraint of trade for gifted athletes who are not able to get admitted to college.
                          i have read that only 30 schools have athletic depts that are self supporting. One could envision a major reduction in teams.

Comment

All reasonable questions but imho none are show stoppers here. They would just have to decide the issues. Since player would sign a minor league contract there would be no poaching like there is today. It would also eliminate the existing restraint of trade for gifted athletes who are not able to get admitted to college.
                            i have read that only 30 schools have athletic depts that are self supporting. One could envision a major reduction in teams.
                            I would say that there will be a lot of "cost avoidance" that these now minor league teams would benefit from when the "teams" didn't have to address any educational issues. Silly little things like scholarships, room and board, academic related costs, NCAA compliance, etc. would all go to zero. Basically, the "teams" would become companies owned by the college. These companies would provide a portion of their profits to the school in exchange for the school letting them use their name.

Comment

And then retire.
                              LOL you wish.

Comment

I'm a big free market guy. Big capitalism guy. I understand the argument for, and have long supported the argument against. This is just such a unique situation. So many fail to realize that outside of about 12-15 schools, most aren't making money hand over fist. In fact, most are lucky to break even when they siphon the money generated by roughly 2-4 revenue sports to back into the athletic department to simply field the non-revenue generating Olympic sports. I have yet to see a rational model where it shows who actually pays these players. And the ones which I have seen aren't equitable for all student athletes and will likely result in the death of both Title IX and athletic departments/programs at universities who don't have a dominant football program that has a cult-following.

Again, big free market guy. And what I'm about to say makes me a huge hypocrite. I've always supported a model where all athletes, of all sports, in both genders, are paid an equal sum. Or something that is considered salary based given the level you play at (D1, D2, D3, etc.). If recruiting in college football or basketball becomes a literal bidding war based on which elite program can get an 86 year old booster to write the biggest check, everything is ruined.

Fans at schools like Alabama or Ohio State have no issue with this model. They care about football. They breathe football. It's why their respective university exists. It's the schools that aren't like those ones (which is the vast majority) that this will destroy.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X