Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eligibility & Returners

Just wanted to make an observation.

But first a preface: Last week, WLU's resurgent volleyball team held its Senior Day during its final home match. In line with what some other sports have done, WLU Volleyball asked around their Senior class to find out who is moving on. Two student athletes were honored on Senior Day--Emily Reedy & Renee Lemke--both of whom, I believe, are heading onto graduate medical programs. Their volleyball careers are over, as they move on to pursue their medical careers. The other Senior on the team, Maddie Clayton, was not honored during that ceremony, which tells me that Maddie is intending to stick around, complete more schoolwork at WLU, and play another year of volleyball.

Here's where I make this observation relevant for this board: WLU Basketball never held a Senior Day ceremony. At all. Honored nobody. What this seems to indicate is that Howlett must have asked around about who intended to move on and who intended to stay . . . so . . . they never had a Senior Day. Which seems to suggest the entire team is planning, at this point, to return next year.

Not knowing any other information, I'd tend to agree. But I think how this season turns out could have an effect on individual players decisions to return. If WLU were to win the National Champion, maybe one/two decide "mission complete" and move on...conversly, if they lose to Malone, perhaps a couple that are wavering decide to come back.

Comment

Being that parents weren't even allowed in ... most schools did nothing for the traditional Senior Night.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
        Being that parents weren't even allowed in ... most schools did nothing for the traditional Senior Night.
        But I'm basing my observation on the fact that other sports at WLU (cf. Volleyball) did do Senior Night events. I believe the women's basketball team had an event for Olivia Belknap and Audrey Tingle as well. Not sure. Could be a sport-by-sport decision. But I'm hoping it means WLU men's basketball is already locked and loaded for next year!

Comment

Originally posted by Scrub View Post

But I'm basing my observation on the fact that other sports at WLU (cf. Volleyball) did do Senior Night events. I believe the women's basketball team had an event for Olivia Belknap and Audrey Tingle as well. Not sure. Could be a sport-by-sport decision. But I'm hoping it means WLU men's basketball is already locked and loaded for next year!
          If everyone returns at WLU for next season, coupled with the incoming players, that is going to be some INTENSE practices! Also going to be some REALLY good players that don't play or play far fewer minutes than their abilities say they should! There are currently 14 players on WLU's published roster. If all return, that will give them 17 next season.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

If everyone returns at WLU for next season, coupled with the incoming players, that is going to be some INTENSE practices! Also going to be some REALLY good players that don't play or play far fewer minutes than their abilities say they should! There are currently 14 players on WLU's published roster. If all return, that will give them 17 next season.
            But next year might not be a "free year" as far as eligibility goes, so we see the return of the trend of Frosh redshirting. He may redshirt all 3 incoming Freshmen just to save the possibility of an extra year later. With Hiles & Powell coming off of injuries and a full 14-man squad returning, he isn't going to need the services of Spadafora, Webb, or Satterfield just yet.

Comment

But next year might not be a "free year" as far as eligibility goes, so we see the return of the trend of Frosh redshirting. He may redshirt all 3 incoming Freshmen just to save the possibility of an extra year later. With Hiles & Powell coming off of injuries and a full 14-man squad returning, he isn't going to need the services of Spadafora, Webb, or Satterfield just yet.
              Your redshirt scenario is quite likely. If they see a need for another shutdown guard defender and pg, Dante might play. Aiden is a matchup nightmare as a 6-7 guard with handles so he might see action. Suspect redshirt decision won't come until very late in pre-season. Open gym will be intense to say the least!

Comment

Part of the loadedness (is that a word??) for next year is based on the quality of the three incoming freshmen. If they are going to redshirt, they are removed from the equation (at least for next year). They may make the Toppers loadeder (again, new word??) after next season but not necessarily next year.

FYI...WLU is pretty loaded this year and if everyone comes back, they will be even more loaded next season. I've always thought that a players biggest improvement is between his first and second season. That would make Rasile more dangerous than he already is, allow Sarson to continue to grow as a flex forward and see if Watson can translate his size, energy and quickness into consistent inside production. Oh, and add Ohio scoring machine Luke Powell to next years mix coming off his redshirt this year.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

Oh, and add Ohio scoring machine Luke Powell to next years mix coming off his redshirt this year.
                  Powell didn't actually redshirt, officially. He had an early-season injury which prevented him from dressing at games. But in the MEC tourney games (where I was lucky enough to be in attendance), he was dressed and in the layup line during warm-ups. So, it seems he recovered from his injury at some point down the stretch. But he might also have been a bit behind in terms of conditioning as a result of the injury, so he didn't see any floor time.

Comment

Powell didn't actually redshirt, officially. He had an early-season injury which prevented him from dressing at games. But in the MEC tourney games (where I was lucky enough to be in attendance), he was dressed and in the layup line during warm-ups. So, it seems he recovered from his injury at some point down the stretch. But he might also have been a bit behind in terms of conditioning as a result of the injury, so he didn't see any floor time.
                    Powell is athletic. Some players shoot a quick release modified set shot from three. Powell can rise up over defenders and shoot a deep three jump shot. Scored 2300+ points in high school.

Seems like wlu is building a roster of players who complement each other and provide an answer to potential matchup scenarios posed by opponents.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X