Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last edited by NWFanatic; 03-25-2021, 08:44 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
      I am really curious how NW teaches its players its style and gets their total buy in. Also no obvious trash talking or mugging to the crowd.

Given how AAU has polluted the game and tv is filled with pros and d1 taking bad shots and making bad decisions, How do you exorcise those tendencies?

mass hypnosis?
      classical conditioning?
      sleep deprivation and brainwashing?
      :-)

Despite our best efforts and pleadings, wlu still has guys who insist on taking shots that are not their game.
      Appreciate the kind words... we've been blessed with really good leadership from our best players for a long stretch and I think that filters down and carries over. Hudgens redshirted and got to watch the way Justin Pitts carried himself on and off the court and you can see a lot of similarities. You could never tell by looking at either one of them if they were winning or losing, and when they do something good or amazing to us, it's just like they expected to and it's not a big deal. I'm sure Mac stresses that attitude and culture when recruiting and introducing freshman to the team. Like even last night, the freshman Alexander, in a 25 point game, at the time poked a ball away, and it should gone right back to a WL player, but immediately he was diving for it and beat everyone to the ball... you think watching a superstar like Ryan Hawkins do that night in and night out doesn't influence the newcomers? I think these guys are really close off the court too and are happy to see each other succeed... everyone of them is happy to make the extra pass. It's not always perfect, there are times where we get out of sorts... Washburn disrupts us, MoSouthern has given us fits over the years, obviously Northern nearly beat us last week, and probably feels like they did, but usually these guys find a way. Regardless of how this season ends, it's been a special run for quite a while.

I'll also add that up to this point, we haven't brought in a lot transfers... I think a transfer really has to pass the eye test on a lot of the things you talked about for him to be considered... see Joey Withus. With the high school kids coming in, and a lot of them do redshirt, Mac really does get an opportunity to put his stamp on them.
      Last edited by Alfred33; 03-25-2021, 08:50 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
        This is shaping up to be a real David v Goliath match up. So what does WLU need to o to pull the upset? IMHO it boils down to:

1. WLU needs to push the pace. Don't think WLU has the horses to play a slowed down half course game. Hillsdale game is the blueprint of what WLU needs to do...Defense at 11 all game, run the ball into the offensive end, attack, attack, attack. FAIL
        2. WLU needs to make at least 12 3 pointers AND shoot over 40% from 3. This has been a problem of late. FAIL and FAIL
        3. WLU's "Big 3" (Bolon, Robinson and Butler) need to be at their season average scoring wise. FAIL, PASS, PASS
        4. WLU needs a big game from at least one of their "supporting" players. My money is on Marlin More. Need this player to score at least 15. FAIL
        5. WLU needs to have a dark horse step up and get points that they don't expect. My money is on Dyer who has proven that he can score if he pulls the trigger OR Hazelbaker who has shown he can come up big in big situations. This "dark horse" needs to be effective enough to force NW to play them honest and not allow them to sag their D to our Big 3. PASS on Dyer, FAIL for everyone else

This kind of feels like a "First team to 80 wins" sort of game.
        Six FAILS and three PASSES. WLU did almost nothing they needed to do to win the game...Scoreboard bore that out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post

The play-by-play guy commented on the key players still being on the floor in a blowout about 45 seconds before Alexander's awkward landing. It was clearly on the minds of everyone watching. Unfortunately for Mac, he waited just a minute too long to pull the trigger.
          I don't mean to start a war but...NWMO doesn't go deep to start with and WL was still pressing. If NWMO puts in players who rarely see action, they don't get ball past half court and 20 point lead evaporates pretty quickly. In the end NWMO had no choice but to keep best players on court as long as WL pressed. So question isn't why NWMO still had best players on court in blow-out...question is why WL was still pressing. If you answer because WL still had a chance to win, then that's why NWMO kept their players in.

Comment

• Originally posted by WKYDave View Post

I don't mean to start a war but...NWMO doesn't go deep to start with and WL was still pressing. If NWMO puts in players who rarely see action, they don't get ball past half court and 20 point lead evaporates pretty quickly. In the end NWMO had no choice but to keep best players on court as long as WL pressed. So question isn't why NWMO still had best players on court in blow-out...question is why WL was still pressing. If you answer because WL still had a chance to win, then that's why NWMO kept their players in.
            Excellent point

Comment

• Originally posted by WKYDave View Post

The press is not only a part of their game... it is their game. The constant mental and physical pressure can cause a collapse, which wlu refers to as a blackout. I gave seen wlu score 20 points In under 3 minutes, even against more athletic teams. They only quit pressing if they are up 30 with 10 minutes left in game. It is what they do.

if your coach had doubts about bench being able to handle the pressure, that would explain it. I thought he could have put starters back in if lead went from 30 to 20. Just hope that game did not take too much out of them, which typically shows up in poorer shooting. Imho they are clearly the best team. They should have no trouble with Flagler.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post

If you've got a lovely wife who's willing to yell at the refs, then I'd say you did well for yourself!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                Working...
                X