Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Reilly

I'd like to congratulate John T. Reilly for accepting the Christian Brothers University, Memphis, TN head coaching vacancy.

It came down to two Georgia Southwestern and CB. He'll do great things down there!

Re: John Reilly

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
    I'd like to congratulate John T. Reilly for accepting the Christian Brothers University, Memphis, TN head coaching vacancy.

It came down to two Georgia Southwestern and CB. He'll do great things down there!
    Hate to see him leave the PSAC. However, it's pretty obvious why he didn't want the Clarion job.

Comment

Congratulations to JR. Hope he does well there. He is too good of a coach to remain unemployed.

CBU seems like a solid D2 program. CB averaged 76 points per game last season and gave up 72. Those numbers will drop. Will be interesting to see how his brand of basketball plays in the GSC.

Comment

Originally posted by Golden89 View Post
        Congratulations to JR. Hope he does well there. He is too good of a coach to remain unemployed.

CBU seems like a solid D2 program. CB averaged 76 points per game last season and gave up 72. Those numbers will drop. Will be interesting to see how his brand of basketball plays in the GSC.
        It'll be interesting... CBU played a lot of Princeton offense, that is polar opposite of JR.

The best thing in all this, is Scoots isn't going with him. I guess there is no paid assistant. This could be the best thing for JR.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
          Hate to see him leave the PSAC. However, it's pretty obvious why he didn't want the Clarion job.
          Have you spoken to him? Maybe he felt he had better options. Memphis is a great place. The university is really driving some impressive development around the city.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
            Have you spoken to him? Maybe he felt he had better options. Memphis is a great place. The university is really driving some impressive development around the city.
            I don't think that anyone has spoken to him, but the Clarion job isn't going to be taken by a coach that has multiple options regarding where he wants to go.

HoopDirt is reporting today that Reilly is the "leader" for the position, not a done deal like some are saying here.

Comment

If IUPAlum said it about JR ... it's true.

Just sayin'

Comment

Of course the crappy Clarion job wouldn't be appealing to most. However, at JR's age the lore was probably not having to move.

But, that's such a crap program and athletic department that nobody will succeed there. It's a shame.

Comment

Of course the crappy Clarion job wouldn't be appealing to most. However, at JR's age the lore was probably not having to move.

But, that's such a crap program and athletic department that nobody will succeed there. It's a shame.
                  Good point. I don't see him as super-desperate to stay in northwest PA, at least to take possibly the most dismal job in the PSAC.

JR has no family ties to the area that I know of. He went to Bowie State before he was GU grad assistant. His daughter is grown and nearly, if not completely, done with college. He coached for 13 years at Brescia University (won 70% of his games) in Owensboro, KY, which isn't terribly far from Memphis (about 4 1/2 hours). And he won't have to have his team sleep on a bus because of a snowstorm for a conference tournament game.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
                    It'll be interesting... CBU played a lot of Princeton offense, that is polar opposite of JR.

The best thing in all this, is Scoots isn't going with him. I guess there is no paid assistant. This could be the best thing for JR.
                    Having any kind of offense is the polar opposite of JR. lol ... (just having fun ... I do think that he is a terrific coach ... but that was too easy).

Agree that a change in assistant may be a fresh perspective that he needs. If he had any kind of coach who can serve as the "offensive coordinator," he could get fantastic results.

Comment

What am I missing ... every time Gannon came here JR had about 12 assistants and they all screamed level 10 decibel all 40 minutes.

Comment

Two JR memories:

1) He came in to the KCAC on Silent Night (Saturday night) and won. That (to this day) was the largest crowd ever at the KCAC.

2) He beat IUP on a buzzer beater in the 2014-15 PSAC title game in the Hammermill. IUP went to the National Title game that year.

He lost a lot of games against IUP, too. More than he won. But, it was always a war -- and a special night. It would always crack me up to see Lombardi in one of his $3,000 suits and JR in a book store polo. Lol

Comment

Two JR memories:

1) He came in to the KCAC on Silent Night (Saturday night) and won. That (to this day) was the largest crowd ever at the KCAC.

2) He beat IUP on a buzzer beater in the 2014-15 PSAC title game in the Hammermill. IUP went to the National Title game that year.

He lost a lot of games against IUP, too. More than he won. But, it was always a war -- and a special night. It would always crack me up to see Lombardi in one of his $3,000 suits and JR in a book store polo. Lol

Comment

We'll miss JR

I can already tell we'll eat alive that bow-tie wearing new coach.

Comment

Originally posted by Golden89 View Post
                              I don't think that anyone has spoken to him, but the Clarion job isn't going to be taken by a coach that has multiple options regarding where he wants to go.

HoopDirt is reporting today that Reilly is the "leader" for the position, not a done deal like some are saying here.
                              It is 100% done deal. I talked to him yesterday. He took CBU and declined Georgia Southwestern. Scoots will not be going and Reilly's daughter is in grad school at Nova.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X