Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glenville State player's eligibility a focus of ESPN

I posted earlier in the spring that Glenville State's Phil Bledsoe had declared for the NBA and hired an agent. He thought he could return to Glenville by declaring his intentions before the proper date. However, it appears that rule only applies to D-I players. Here is a link to the length ESPN article:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...i-player-limbo

Re: Glenville State player's eligibility a focus of ESPN

I always thought once you hire an agent ... you're done. Regardless.

It's fairly common D1 players enter the draft portal, and if their evaluations come back poor then they can choose to come back to school.

Of course, being that he was (somehow) being advised to enter the draft ... leads me to quickly believe he wasn't getting very good guidance.

Comment

I think this is kind of funny. Anyone who watched Bledsoe play would not jump to a conclusion that was anywhere near a this guy is going to be in the NBA player level. Probably the most optimistic evaluation by his Cool Aid drinkers was that he was a fringe G-league player who MIGHT be able to work his way into a couple of short term NBA contracts after a few years. But who want's to tell a kid with NBA dreams that he's just not good enough...particularly if you think you can get him back at the 11'th hour (literally)? So instead of his coaches saying, "Uhhhhh Phil...You ain't an NBA player right now and certainly not an NBA draft pick. Stay here at Glenville and we will do our best to get you ready next for next years draft" they instead seem to have decided to tell him "You're great, you are probably an NBA draft choice. You should GO FOR IT...And if it doesn't work out, we'll take you back."

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
        I think this is kind of funny. Anyone who watched Bledsoe play would not jump to a conclusion that was anywhere near a this guy is going to be in the NBA player level. Probably the most optimistic evaluation by his Cool Aid drinkers was that he was a fringe G-league player who MIGHT be able to work his way into a couple of short term NBA contracts after a few years. But who want's to tell a kid with NBA dreams that he's just not good enough...particularly if you think you can get him back at the 11'th hour (literally)? So instead of his coaches saying, "Uhhhhh Phil...You ain't an NBA player right now and certainly not an NBA draft pick. Stay here at Glenville and we will do our best to get you ready next for next years draft" they instead seem to have decided to tell him "You're great, you are probably an NBA draft choice. You should GO FOR IT...And if it doesn't work out, we'll take you back."
        Yeah, Boat, I was flabbergasted when I heard he declared for the NBA draft. He was not even first team All-MEC. I watched game at WLU and he was a decent player, but did not dominate nor did he have the WOW factor. He really did not make a big impression on me.
        Does he not watch GSC game tapes? He does not have the foot speed or jumping ability to play in the NBA. If folks really cared about him, they would have been honest with him, but in a gentle way. Apparently, the GSC compliance officer did not contact the NCAA, but said he talked to a couple of people in NBA and some coaches. That was a big mistake as they are not accountable - it is the NCAA he should have talked with to get an official answer.

Declaring for the NBA is a whole other level of self-delusion. He needs to ensure he is in a desirable major and focus on getting a 4.0 GPA. That is his future, not the NBA.

Comment

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
          Yeah, Boat, I was flabbergasted when I heard he declared for the NBA draft. He was not even first team All-MEC. I watched game at WLU and he was a decent player, but did not dominate nor did he have the WOW factor. He really did not make a big impression on me.
          Does he not watch GSC game tapes? He does not have the foot speed or jumping ability to play in the NBA. If folks really cared about him, they would have been honest with him, but in a gentle way. Apparently, the GSC compliance officer did not contact the NCAA, but said he talked to a couple of people in NBA and some coaches. That was a big mistake as they are not accountable - it is the NCAA he should have talked with to get an official answer.

Declaring for the NBA is a whole other level of self-delusion. He needs to ensure he is in a desirable major and focus on getting a 4.0 GPA. That is his future, not the NBA.
          He'll probably sue GSC.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
            He'll probably sue GSC.
            Listened to interview with compliance officer of glenville. Called ncaa first and left voicemail. When no one called back he went to plan b and called Gansey of the cavs. He was in full good ole boy mode with Caridi in a real softball interview. He came across as real laid back but not incompetent. Ncaa told him to declare Bledsoe ineligible and then apply for reinstatement ASAP. Bledsoe will probably get reinstated.

Comment

Originally posted by JDonAB92 View Post
              I posted earlier in the spring that Glenville State's Phil Bledsoe had declared for the NBA and hired an agent. He thought he could return to Glenville by declaring his intentions before the proper date. However, it appears that rule only applies to D-I players. Here is a link to the length ESPN article:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...i-player-limbo

Comment

So true 24. For example, we talk about redshirting in DII when it is really only a D1 thing (5 years to play 4 years). DII is strictly about total semesters (10) of partisipation during witch a player gets 4 seasons of on field play. There is no 5 year limit so hypothetically a DII player could practice for 6 straight falls, not participate in the spring and then actually play 4 straight seasons. So effectively that would mean he redshirted 6 years!

Comment

The redshirt has become a waste of time in basketball. It's hard enough keeping guys around who actually play.

I'd love to see player retention rates for the Atlantic Region (and all D2). They would be awful.

Comment

The redshirt has become a waste of time in basketball. It's hard enough keeping guys around who actually play.

I'd love to see player retention rates for the Atlantic Region (and all D2). They would be awful.
                    Nationwide stats from verbalcommits.com

I don't know attrition rate but here are stats for players transferring from D2 in 2019 as of 5/29/2019 - there are 254 players or a little under 11% of the undergrads are transferring. Only 3% of D2 players have made the jump to D1.

% of D2 transfers to D1 3.15% 8
                    D2 to D2 19.52% 49
                    D2 to neither D1 nor D2 13.55% 34
                    Destination not chosen 63.78% 162
                    Total transfers from D2 School 254

D1 on the other hand has lost 25% of their eligible players this year (assuming evenly distributed scholarships among the four classes)- 862 players.
                    Of the available D1 slots, only .93% were filled by D2 players.

Here are the stats D1 schools. Transfer issue is much worse.

D1 to D1 34.92% 301
                    D1 to D2 10.09% 87
                    D1 to neither D1 nor D2 9.28% 80
                    Destination not chosen 44.78% 386
                    From D2 To D1 0.93% 8

Comment

Here are player transfers D2 Atlantic Region as of 5/29/2019. There are 49 players or about 19% of the total transfers, according to verbalcommits.com. Only one went to D1 from Va Union to UM Kansas City.
                      Given there are 40 schools, it is an average of about 1 transfer per school. This could be an atypical year with more transfers due to unusual situations.
                      Did not include new members of the conferences.

Original Division % of New Division Count of New Division

D1 2.04% 1
                      D2 16.33% 8
                      Neither D1 nor D2 8.16% 4
                      Not Yet Selected 73.47% 36
                      Grand Total 100.00% 49

Comment

Here are player transfers D2 Atlantic Region as of 5/29/2019. There are 49 players or about 19% of the total transfers, according to verbalcommits.com. Only one went to D1 from Va Union to UM Kansas City.
                        Given there are 40 schools, it is an average of about 1 transfer per school. This could be an atypical year with more transfers due to unusual situations.
                        Did not include new members of the conferences.

Original Division % of New Division Count of New Division

D1 2.04% 1
                        D2 16.33% 8
                        Neither D1 nor D2 8.16% 4
                        Not Yet Selected 73.47% 36
                        Grand Total 100.00% 49
                        VC is the end-all, either. The actual numbers will be much higher.

Comment

VC is the end-all, either. The actual numbers will be much higher.
                          Anyone aware of official public sources that would be more accurate than verbalcommits?

Comment

Anyone aware of official public sources that would be more accurate than verbalcommits?
                            Nope. But, I know of at least 12 in the PSAC that aren't on VC yet.

Comment

One thing to consider if you compare D1 to the other divisions when it comes to retention rate....

When a player gets a full ride, it's a lot harder to walk away. When a player is getting $2,000 and borrowing $18,000, it's a lot easier to walk away.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X