X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calu wbb '19-'20

VULCANS WBB 19-20

https://calvulcans.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=207

Trip to College Park will allow JESS STROM to visit with MD assistant coach KAITLYN FRATZ.

Re: Calu wbb '19-'20

VULCANS WBB SHAUNA HARRISON named to #GBU20 team for the #FIBAU20Europe tournament in Kosovo August 13-20.

Comment

There is a nice article on Monica Burns in the Trib.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
        There is a nice article on Monica Burns in the Trib.
        She will always be an odd character to me. Talented, intelligent with an inside view of college life and athletics, she seems to have a real issue of what she wants in her own life. That's a fairly common attribute for MBB players but somewhat unusual in WBB. As I've said on other threads I don't think she will get a lot of playing time in what I view as the JESS STROM system, but who knows. Time will tell.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
          She will always be an odd character to me. Talented, intelligent with an inside view of college life and athletics, she seems to have a real issue of what she wants in her own life. That's a fairly common attribute for MBB players but somewhat unusual in WBB. As I've said on other threads I don't think she will get a lot of playing time in what I view as the JESS STROM system, but who knows. Time will tell.

I was really excited when IUP signed her. She had an outstanding career at Hempfield. There's many theories why she left (or was asked to leave) IUP. Carolyn Appleby signing likely didn't help.

But, she is a nice player and can really shoot the ball. I'd be shocked if she doesn't get heavy minutes down there this year.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
            I was really excited when IUP signed her. She had an outstanding career at Hempfield. There's many theories why she left (or was asked to leave) IUP. Carolyn Appleby signing likely didn't help.

But, she is a nice player and can really shoot the ball. I'd be shocked if she doesn't get heavy minutes down there this year.
            Minutes yes, heavy minutes no. Unless her defensive game has improved dramatically, she may start a lot of games to get the team off to a fast start, but she'll likely be switched off for a defensive replacement once the game is in hand. If it's a close game behind at the end she'll be in to catch up. Close game ahead she'll likely be on the bench. Can't have too many weapons.

Comment

Well move in day included another player I hadn't heard of. JAYDIS GALES 5'7" G from LAKOTA WEST HS near CINCY. Added to KENDRA MCPEEK, OLIVIA HUDSON, HALLE HERRINGTON and ARIANA DUNSUN it looks like a nice selection of talented players. Especially interested to see if MCPEEK, HUDSON or HERRINGTON can get a crack at starting. Returning players have a lot of experience but other than BIANCA JASPER most are role players. Breakdown by year Fr-5, So-5, Jr-2, Sr-3. I'll believe MO BURNS when I see her on the roster.

Comment

I'm posting this on WBB even though it concerns MBB as well. Also as I rehab, staring at very low activity on both the FB and BB MB means my mind wanders. Waiting for BB rosters to be posted means this could be way off base, but I'm getting a strange vibe about this years VULCANS BB.
                My take on CAL U MBB for at least the last 10 years has been call me when you're seriously trying. The program last year at least had a pulse. Given a bit of luck with injuries they might have sniffed .500. I've followed this years recruiting with great interest because the impression is that DANNY SANCOMB is a strong recruiter who seems to be respected by coaches and parents of the the players he pursues. The nine incoming players all look to be solid with several standouts namely BABATUNDE AJIKE and TIM SMITH JR. BA reminds me of the sort of player that HAYWOOD HIGHSMITH may have been when he started at WJU. DS turned him into the team leader who took WJU to new heights and himself into the G LEAGUE/NBA. Hopefully he can do the same with the good shooter/defender out of Camden Catholic. TSJR is more of the new prototype fast, ball handling scorer and looks a bit more advanced coming in. This will be the first year that DS won't be scrambling to field a team with smoke and mirrors so let's say I'll be paying attention from the get go.
                On the WBB side JESS STROM will be reforming her team for the first time since 13-14 when they went 18-9 and actually lost 4 straight at the start of the year. All of the connection to the NC team is gone. She has a number of solid role players but no one that jumps out as a leader like GLENN, PARSONS or BARRETT. My impression of possibilities to fill that role are KENDRA MCPEEK and OLIVIA HUDSON. KM was well enough thought of that she spent two seasons st Monverde Academy in FL, an elite prep/basketball school. She returned to Binghamton (NY) HS for her senior year and will be the tallest (6'2") legit player that WBB has ever had. I expect she'll get serious consideration as a starter especially if she measures up as a shot blocker. OH could be the driving force that seems to be missing and may eventually take over primary ballhandling duties from B JASPER. She may need to be time managed as her major knee surgery is only a little over a year ago. As a team I see a slow start but still a good chance to continue the 5 year run to the Atlantic Region. Time will tell.

Comment

Danny will build a power there. Quickly. Cal hit the jackpot when he amazingly became available and the other guy quit.

Just don't let him open any checking accounts.

Comment

Impressive looking group. Best shot ever.
                    https://mobile.twitter.com/CALU_wbb/...997121/photo/1

Comment

Just noticed that VULCANS WBB has a game scheduled for 11/16 versus FAIRMONT STATE UNIVERSITY. This is significant because the FALCONS have a coaching staff that has recently taken on a distinctly CAL U flavor. HC STEPHANIE (MICHAEL) ANDERSON, AC MIKI GLENN and Director of Strength & Conditioning KAYLA SMITH all were great players for JESS STROM and will certainly be driven to show that they learned their lessons. Should be quite an evening.

Comment

The time between the start of preseason practice and the official posting of the roster is frustrating because fans literally don't know who will be on the team. Curiously with WBB, players who change their mind seem to do so before or early in the season while with MBB the players seem to finish the season and then call it quits. Two photos of 17 players have been posted on Twitter and it looks like a solid team, but until that roster comes out I'm going to feel a bit uneasy. If last year is any indication this coming Thursday should be the day.

Comment

First posting of '19-'20 roster. I say first because 2 players including 1 significant one are not listed. I'll give it some time before naming them. They have been pictured in team workout photos but as noted above, things change.

https://calvulcans.com/roster.aspx?r...15&path=wbball
                          Last edited by CALUPA69; 09-24-2019, 04:09 PM.

Comment

This is the roster I expected with the exception of CITIANA NEGATU who is a transfer from D1 LOYOLA-CHICAGO with 1 year of eligibility. Had a single year of significant PT, '16-'17, when she averaged 5+ ppg in 25+ mpg. No idea how she fits in with 17 player roster.

https://calvulcans.com/roster.aspx?path=wbball

Comment

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X