Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was going to go over the stats but what's the point. This team CANNOT WIN bombing away from beyond the arc. JESS STROM teams win with defense and this particular group are not skilled enough to play that game. With significant losses due to graduation,. JS seems to have hoped to get by with BURNS and NEGATU as experienced players to carry through while the youngsters developed. That's not happening. I have zero inside info but it feels like MB and JS are NOT ON THE SAME PAGE. Though she's in no way a taskmaster, JS does require her players to accept her direction and play their best within that design. As I mentioned recently MB's minutes have dropped off and unless I miss my guess that will not change. CN, coming from the D1 level should be more talented, especially offensively, but that's likely the reason she was available. So basically the plan that these two would carry the team seems to be a wash out.
    As for the rest of the team, JASPER is who she seems. Above average D2 player with good though not exceptional playmaking and scoring ability. If either of the above mentioned players were having the season JS expected, she wouldn't have the defensive attention on her and would seem much better. HARRISON is a solid, disciplined player but cannot get her own shot. ALLEN is a gamer but not a true offensive threat. If the D was functioning as usual her numbers would be much better. I like HERRINGTON'S energy and spunk but she always looks tiny on the court. Can't see her taking over from BJ unless everything goes completely to hell. HUDSON is going to be a really good player IF, VERY BIG IF, her surgically repaired legs hold up. If her absence from this game is related to that, we may be looking at a potential lost gamble.
    On average JESS STROM teams lose 7 game a season and win 24. This season looks like it could below average. So let's say in the remaining 17 the VULCANS go 11-6 for a final record of 20-8 and play in the PSAC tournament. If they win a game or two there, they possibly get a NCAA bid and all is pretty much as expected, if not as pretty as we could hope for. Until shown otherwise,nothing leads me to doubt JS.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
      I was going to go over the stats but what's the point. This team CANNOT WIN bombing away from beyond the arc. JESS STROM teams win with defense and this particular group are not skilled enough to play that game. With significant losses due to graduation,. JS seems to have hoped to get by with BURNS and NEGATU as experienced players to carry through while the youngsters developed. That's not happening. I have zero inside info but it feels like MB and JS are NOT ON THE SAME PAGE. Though she's in no way a taskmaster, JS does require her players to accept her direction and play their best within that design. As I mentioned recently MB's minutes have dropped off and unless I miss my guess that will not change. CN, coming from the D1 level should be more talented, especially offensively, but that's likely the reason she was available. So basically the plan that these two would carry the team seems to be a wash out.
      As for the rest of the team, JASPER is who she seems. Above average D2 player with good though not exceptional playmaking and scoring ability. If either of the above mentioned players were having the season JS expected, she wouldn't have the defensive attention on her and would seem much better. HARRISON is a solid, disciplined player but cannot get her own shot. ALLEN is a gamer but not a true offensive threat. If the D was functioning as usual her numbers would be much better. I like HERRINGTON'S energy and spunk but she always looks tiny on the court. Can't see her taking over from BJ unless everything goes completely to hell. HUDSON is going to be a really good player IF, VERY BIG IF, her surgically repaired legs hold up. If her absence from this game is related to that, we may be looking at a potential lost gamble.
      On average JESS STROM teams lose 7 game a season and win 24. This season looks like it could below average. So let's say in the remaining 17 the VULCANS go 11-6 for a final record of 20-8 and play in the PSAC tournament. If they win a game or two there, they possibly get a NCAA bid and all is pretty much as expected, if not as pretty as we could hope for. Until shown otherwise,nothing leads me to doubt JS.
      In reference to the bold sentence above ... stats are facts, as they say.

Her production is way down. The first four games of the season she played 36, 26, 40 and 40 minutes per game. The last five games she's played 18, 34, 24, 25 and 7 minutes. She's gone ice cold from outside, too.

In the course of 11 games she went from playing 40 minutes to 7 minutes. Unless she got hurt in that last game, I'd say your assumption is correct. She's in the doghouse.

Comment

I've no idea how this game looks so one sided over UPJ at 80-57. Literally only good stats are 52-30 gap in RB and 11-22 edge in TO which led to 31-10 advantage in POTO and that was the game. MO BURNS was back to her 38 minutes but way off her game shooting 3-14 and 1-9 3s. Balanced scoring with JASPER 17,. HAHN 16, BURNS 14, HARRISON 12 and NEGATU 11.
        Three winnable next week with @SRU 1-5, SHEP 3-3 and BORO 2-4 in league play. The following week could be a disaster @SHU and @IUP but it will give some clarity for the rest of the season.

Comment

The games versus SRU and SHEP WBB were almost identical. Solid defense keeping their opponents at or below 60 pts. Just enough offense to win. This formula will work against BORO on SATURDAY but will likely be a disaster @ SHU, @IUP and @GANNON. Last bad losing streak was the start of the 13-14 season when VULCANS WBB lost 4 straight. Finished that season at 18-9. Time will tell.

Comment

My summaries for VULCANS WBB have been limited recently because I find it hard to watch the games. They have talent but are largely leaderless. BURNS and JASPER keep the game within reach and JS basically coachs a win out of most, but not all, close games. Not a statistical thing but the teams inability to immediately convert TO into fast break points drives me crazy and away from my screen. Switching to live stats I watch the score and check in post game for an overview. Usually we're talking 35-40% FG, 25-30% 3s and 80-90% FT. Opponents scores are too high, TO difference is OK and only FT seems very strong. Don't know how long OLIVIA HUDSON will be out but they don't have a true offensive threat. On to IUP and GANNON.

Comment

My stomach gets tied into knots watching this team this year. I've started watching from home, and sometimes have to turn it off and check in every-so-often to view stats only. I've been wondering what happened to Olivia Hudson! She's hurt then? She's a great player and we miss her.

Comment

Originally posted by Feedoggie View Post
                My stomach gets tied into knots watching this team this year. I've started watching from home, and sometimes have to turn it off and check in every-so-often to view stats only. I've been wondering what happened to Olivia Hudson! She's hurt then? She's a great player and we miss her.
                OH was always a risk. She tore her ACL playing AAU ball before her senior year at ALTOONA. Even with that she was a borderline D1 prospect who decided topnotch D2 might give her a bigger role. You'll notice near the huddle in sweats so it's not catastrophic, but with she and VALLECORSA both out back up skill players are limited. More than that the transfers, BURNS and NEGATU, have really not contributed as much as hoped. But VULCANS WBB fans have been spoiled big time and we'll have to accept that this is one of those years. It's really pathetic our whining about a 13-3 team.

Comment

It was great to see former IUP player Monica Burns hacking it up on Saturday. 1-10FG, 0 assists, 7 points... Heck of a game! Cried that she wasn't starting as a freshman but I'm not even sure she'd come off the bench as a senior for IUP!

Comment

It's getting harder to do these reviews. 33.8% FG, 20.0% 3s, 77.8% FT will not win many games against average teams, versus top quality teams it's really too much to hope for. Giving IUP a 20 pt advantage in the paint was the deciding factor along with JASPER foul trouble. On to Erie.

Comment

Can't watch it but this is without a doubt the worst game ever by a JESS STROM TEAM !!! I have no idea how she is going to get it turned around.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
                        Can't watch it but this is without a doubt the worst game ever by a JESS STROM TEAM !!! I have no idea how she is going to get it turned around.

Comment

I've turned the MC game off and will live with the result whatever it is. This trend in VULCANS WBB is as confusing as the recent WCU MBB collapse EXCEPT that the RAMS don't have 15 years of outstanding play as a backdrop. I haven't a clue but where I felt several weeks ago that a 19-9 or 20-8 season was possible, if JESS STROM can't get this, whatever THIS is, straightened out, the best I can anticipate is 16-12 or 15-13. WHAT THE #&$@ IS GOING ON ???

Comment

Expected (is anything expected this year) win over CLARION. Still awful shooting, 37%FG/31%3PT/73%FT, was off set by +19 POTO, +19 2nd CP and 15 RB edge. HARRINGTON led with 14 followed by ALLEN 11. HARRISON 11 and JASPER 10 led rebounds. On to SRU in HAMER on Saturday afternoon.

Comment

Game vs SRU was tougher than it should have been through three quarters, but 26-10 fourth broke it open. Continued bad FG% 32.5% alright 3PT 33.3% and FT 82.4%. HARRISON led the way with 18 Pts and 13 Rbds followed by HARRINGTON and HUDSON with 15 each. Next up trip to UPJ on WEDNESDAY.

Comment

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X