Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In the last two weeks, I've seen Penn State play Purdue in the Palestra, and now Juniata and Elizabethtown are playing there today.

If I were in the West Chester athletic office, I'd be looking into hosting a game or two there each season.

Comment

• Originally posted by jrshooter View Post
      In the last two weeks, I've seen Penn State play Purdue in the Palestra, and now Juniata and Elizabethtown are playing there today.

If I were in the West Chester athletic office, I'd be looking into hosting a game or two there each season.
      The Palestra is a great venue. I saw a doubleheader featuring Villanova, Temple, Princeton and Penn in there in 1970. That was the Howard Porter Villanova team that finished national runner-up to UCLA that season, but later had it vacated when it came out that Porter had signed early with an agent. In these days of NIL and the portal, that seems like a pretty minor transgression.

I think playing at alternative venues once in a while would be a great idea for the PSAC to spread the brand around and drum up some extra notice. The "dead time" in late December and early January when the students aren't on campus would be a great time to do it. How about a Ship game at the Farm Show Arena or one of the larger area high school facilities such as Cumberland Valley? West Chester is definitely a natural for the Palestra.

Comment

In the last two weeks, I've seen Penn State play Purdue in the Palestra, and now Juniata and Elizabethtown are playing there today.

The Palestra is the best college basketball venue. Period.

Everyone should experience one game there if they can.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

The Palestra is a great venue. I saw a doubleheader featuring Villanova, Temple, Princeton and Penn in there in 1970. That was the Howard Porter Villanova team that finished national runner-up to UCLA that season, but later had it vacated when it came out that Porter had signed early with an agent. In these days of NIL and the portal, that seems like a pretty minor transgression.

I think playing at alternative venues once in a while would be a great idea for the PSAC to spread the brand around and drum up some extra notice. The "dead time" in late December and early January when the students aren't on campus would be a great time to do it. How about a Ship game at the Farm Show Arena or one of the larger area high school facilities such as Cumberland Valley? West Chester is definitely a natural for the Palestra.
          I'm surprised Chambersburg High hasn't lured Ship in for a game. But the athletic director who has set up the football and basketball showcases, Ron Coursey, is leaving at the end of basketball season for Central York. He thinks much bigger than most athletic administrators in that region.

Sports have really taken a back seat at the Farm Show in recent years. I think the pro indoor soccer team is the only inhabitant at this time, and you don't even hear anything about them anymore since PennLive has stopped covering local pro sports. District 3 and the PIAA no longer even consider the Farm Show as a tournament venue.
          Last edited by jrshooter; 01-16-2023, 05:07 PM.

Comment

• Ship can never fully shake Bloomsburg, which played better than a winless ballclub. But the Raiders made the plays to pull away late, 77-68. 22 for Dom Sleva; Carter, Johnson with 16 each and Nedrow with 10.

Bloomsburg's women hand the Raiders their third loss by 3.

Comment

• Did Shepherd really hang 96 on ESU?

Rams usually score half that

Comment

I'm surprised Chambersburg High hasn't lured Ship in for a game. But the athletic director who has set up the football and basketball showcases, Ron Coursey, is leaving at the end of basketball season for Central York. He thinks much bigger than most athletic administrators in that region.

Sports have really taken a back seat at the Farm Show in recent years. I think the pro indoor soccer team is the only inhabitant at this time, and you don't even hear anything about them anymore since PennLive has stopped covering local pro sports. District 3 and the PIAA no longer even consider the Farm Show as a tournament venue.
                Waynesboro's gym actually has more than adequate size to host a game these days. Yeah, the Farm Show has kinda fallen off the map. I have fond memories of going to PIAA basketball playoff games there with friends when I was attending Ship. One of the more entertaining ones I saw there was Tom McMillen's Mansfield team against Dave Twardzik and eventual state champion Middletown. It was a good venue for basketball.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                  Did Shepherd really hang 96 on ESU?

Wow, Shepherd is no pushover, but not a great loss for the Warriors. Shot nearly 50 percent from the field and over 50 percent from the three-point line and still managed to lose. Live by the press and on occasion die by it. And Ship, blown out by ESU a couple of weeks back, now has the same PSAC record as the Warriors.

Comment

Ship can never fully shake Bloomsburg, which played better than a winless ballclub. But the Raiders made the plays to pull away late, 77-68. 22 for Dom Sleva; Carter, Johnson with 16 each and Nedrow with 10.

Lousy three-point shooting, while Bloom shot fairly well, plus the Raiders seem determined to make Jake Nelson look all-PSAC every time they play Bloom. Nice to get the win, but the schedule toughens over the next couple of weeks.

Comment

Ship can never fully shake Bloomsburg, which played better than a winless ballclub. But the Raiders made the plays to pull away late, 77-68. 22 for Dom Sleva; Carter, Johnson with 16 each and Nedrow with 10.

Not a great loss for the Ship women. They had some head-scratching losses last season, but have been steady and mostly lights out this season. I'll be interested in how they respond on Saturday.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Lousy three-point shooting, while Bloom shot fairly well, plus the Raiders seem determined to make Jake Nelson look all-PSAC every time they play Bloom. Nice to get the win, but the schedule toughens over the next couple of weeks.
                        Bloomsburg is slowly getting better (similar to Gannon). Jake Nelson is a pretty good player. He's been around a long time. He'd look a lot better on a team with more help around him.

Comment

Bloomsburg is slowly getting better (similar to Gannon). Jake Nelson is a pretty good player. He's been around a long time. He'd look a lot better on a team with more help around him.
                          Didn't Nelson go into the portal for a while last year? I was actually hoping Ship might pick him up, since he always seems to play well against us. I think he'd had three single-digit outings before going off for 24 against Ship last night. He really kept them in the game as Bloom had nobody else on the boards.

Comment

Did Shepherd really hang 96 on ESU?

The Rams shot the lights out of that gym last night. They were 10-16 from 3-pt range in the first half. ESU whittled a 19-point lead down to 5, but couldn't get closer...Shepherd might have beaten the Knicks last night with a shooting performance like that...

Comment

• Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

The Rams shot the lights out of that gym last night. They were 10-16 from 3-pt range in the first half. ESU whittled a 19-point lead down to 5, but couldn't get closer...Shepherd might have beaten the Knicks last night with a shooting performance like that...
                              Blah blah blah… beat the knicks, laughable!

Comment

• Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

ESU had a night like that against Ship. They'd have won in any case, but the three-point shooting turned the game into a real blowout. I think at one point ESU made six straight three-pointers in the second half by several different players. The Bloomsburg broadcasters last night said they'd asked Wilson about the Ship game, and he replied, "We hit everything we put up, and they didn't hit anything." That pretty well summed it up. When you run a press as Stroudsburg does, you can overwhelm opponents on a given night, but you also run the risk of leaving the other team open looks if they get through the press. With the three-point shot these days, that can be deadly if you catch a team on a hot night.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X