West Chester * 13-6 18-7 W2
    East Stroudsburg * 13-7 19-7 L1
    Lock Haven * 12-7 16-8 L2
    Shepherd 10-9 13-12 L1
    Kutztown 7-12 8-17 W3
    Mansfield 5-15 6-18 W1
    Bloomsburg 1-18 1-22 L6

Comment

• A lot of mess here to see who gets byes. YIKES!

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
        A lot of mess here to see who gets byes. YIKES!
        Hard to even project who will host the weekend. The two who gets byes could both lose on Wednesday.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Hard to even project who will host the weekend. The two who gets byes could both lose on Wednesday.
          If Sleva is badly slowed, Ship could easily lose both games next week, and I wouldn't even be 100 percent confident on Saturday. He usually guards the primary big if Nedrow is out of the lineup for any reason, is the leading Division II rebounder in the country, and often contributes double-digits on offense. His absence on the boards was very noticeable in the second half against Millersville. Of Ship's primary four players, he might be the hardest to do without. Obviously they wouldn't want to lose Carter or Johnson, but they at least do similar things. Sleva has a unique skillset for this team.

Comment

• Shepherd wilts at Koehler Fieldhouse today...ESU 74-58 over the Rams.

Comment

• Bloomsburg made it scary, but Ship's youngsters gave Fite something to look forward to in an 84-79 overtime victory. With Sleva out, true freshman Denzel Figueroa out of Carver E&S stepped up to provide some inside punch -- 8 points, 7 boards and 4 big blocks. Just about every one of those points and every one of those blocks came at key times. Add 13 points in 17 minutes from mercurial guard Tyler Crespo and a combined 40 from Carlos Carter and Rashon Johnson, and the Raiders are a full game up on Millersville and ESU in the East -- with Shepherd (away) and Lock Haven (home) remaining.

The women's side features a whole lot of Ariel Jones again in a comfortable 75-62 win. Jones has 38 points in spite of 14-32 shooting and a totally uncharacteristic 6-for-11 from the line. But as the Raiders' PBP guy said, she's simply a step quicker WITH the ball than everyone else in the PSAC is WITHOUT the ball.
              Last edited by jrshooter; 02-18-2023, 04:25 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jrshooter View Post
                Bloomsburg made it scary, but Ship's youngsters gave Fite something to look forward to in an 84-79 overtime victory. With Sleva out, true freshman Denzel Figueroa out of Carver E&S stepped up to provide some inside punch -- 8 points, 7 boards and 4 big blocks. Just about every one of those points and every one of those blocks came at key times. Add 13 points in 17 minutes from mercurial guard Tyler Crespo and a combined 40 from Carlos Carter and Rashon Johnson, and the Raiders are a full game up on Millersville and ESU in the East -- with Shepherd (away) and Lock Haven (home) remaining.

The women's side features a whole lot of Ariel Jones again in a comfortable 75-62 win. Jones has 38 points in spite of 14-32 shooting and a totally uncharacteristic 6-for-11 from the line. But as the Raiders' PBP guy said, she's simply a step quicker WITH the ball than everyone else in the PSAC is WITHOUT the ball.
                Well, they pulled it out, but we might have witnessed Ship's last men's win of the season if they don't pick it up considerably. They have even more matchup problems than usual with Sleva, whom I've considered the team's key player all season, out for at least the next week. I certainly can't see them winning at Shepherd without him, and Lock Haven will be dicey. And obviously they can't afford any foul trouble. I like Crespo's offense and quickness, but wish he was about 2-3 inches taller. He, Recchia, and Timmy Conner can be backed to the hoop by bigger guards. At least Conner will probably put on some weight. I was surprised Satchel Ball, probably the best defender of the younger guards, didn't get more minutes the second half. Figueroa has the physical skills to become a decent player for Ship. Needs to work on his shooting over the summer and another 10 pounds of weight wouldn't hurt. Wish they'd get more than 2-3 three-point shots a game for Recchia, especially with Sleva out. He could easily be a double-digit scorer most games.

Comment

• Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post
                  Shepherd wilts at Koehler Fieldhouse today...ESU 74-58 over the Rams.
                  Hadn't heard from you in so long I thought you bailed out.

Comment

Hadn't heard from you in so long I thought you bailed out.
                    Come on man. You should know better than that.

Comment

• Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

Come on man. You should know better than that.
                      Lol

Comment

• Updated Men's Standings

-
                        TEAM PSAC OVERALL STREAK
                        Shippensburg * 15-5 17-9 W1
                        West Chester * 14-6 19-7 W3
                        Millersville * 14-6 17-9 W1
                        East Stroudsburg * 14-7 20-7 W1
                        Lock Haven * 12-8 16-9 L3
                        Shepherd 10-10 13-13 L2
                        Kutztown 8-12 9-17 W4
                        Mansfield 5-16 6-19 L1
                        Bloomsburg 1-19 1-23 L7

The big ones this week:

Shippensburg at Shepherd - The Raiders may make the short trip short-handed. Shepherd needs a win to wrap up the final conference tournament spot. Raiders are in control of the No. 1 seed -- but, not by much.

East Stroudsburg at Lock Haven - Both have clinched. ESU needs this for the NCAA resume. Lock Haven needs to stop the bleeding.

Millersville at West Chester - The winner should have a good shot at the Round 1 bye next week. In this crazy division, that's huge.

Lock Haven at Shippensburg - Tough week for the Raiders with or without Sleva -- but really hard without him.

Shepherd at Kutztown - This could essentially be a play-in game. What happens Wednesday will dictate, but, this could be a really big game.

Comment

Updated Men's Standings

-
                          TEAM PSAC OVERALL STREAK
                          Shippensburg * 15-5 17-9 W1
                          West Chester * 14-6 19-7 W3
                          Millersville * 14-6 17-9 W1
                          East Stroudsburg * 14-7 20-7 W1
                          Lock Haven * 12-8 16-9 L3
                          Shepherd 10-10 13-13 L2
                          Kutztown 8-12 9-17 W4
                          Mansfield 5-16 6-19 L1
                          Bloomsburg 1-19 1-23 L7

The big ones this week:

Shippensburg at Shepherd - The Raiders may make the short trip short-handed. Shepherd needs a win to wrap up the final conference tournament spot. Raiders are in control of the No. 1 seed -- but, not by much.

East Stroudsburg at Lock Haven - Both have clinched. ESU needs this for the NCAA resume. Lock Haven needs to stop the bleeding.

Millersville at West Chester - The winner should have a good shot at the Round 1 bye next week. In this crazy division, that's huge.

Lock Haven at Shippensburg - Tough week for the Raiders with or without Sleva -- but really hard without him.

Shepherd at Kutztown - This could essentially be a play-in game. What happens Wednesday will dictate, but, this could be a really big game.
                          Ship will definitely make the Shepherd trip short-handed. Sleva will not be playing this week. With the effect that has on their rebounding and defensive rotation, it's hard to pick the Raiders to win either game this week.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Ship will definitely make the Shepherd trip short-handed. Sleva will not be playing this week. With the effect that has on their rebounding and defensive rotation, it's hard to pick the Raiders to win either game this week.
                            I suppose the biggest question in Shippensburg then is -- should they lose both this week -- would he be ready to play Monday night (Round 1)? I'd say Shippensburg pretty much has to win the conference tournament to stay alive. At the very minimum, they can't take a loss this week and then perhaps make a deep tournament run. That may keep the NCAA door slightly open.

The good news for the Raiders is Shepherd is extremely sporadic. That said, Wednesday is almost a do or die game for them so you'd have to think they'll be ready to play. Lock Haven is in an ugly funk at the moment. If they get beat up Wednesday by East Stroudsburg ... hard to say what their mental state will be come Saturday.

Comment

I suppose the biggest question in Shippensburg then is -- should they lose both this week -- would he be ready to play Monday night (Round 1)? I'd say Shippensburg pretty much has to win the conference tournament to stay alive. At the very minimum, they can't take a loss this week and then perhaps make a deep tournament run. That may keep the NCAA door slightly open.

The good news for the Raiders is Shepherd is extremely sporadic. That said, Wednesday is almost a do or die game for them so you'd have to think they'll be ready to play. Lock Haven is in an ugly funk at the moment. If they get beat up Wednesday by East Stroudsburg ... hard to say what their mental state will be come Saturday.
                              Sleva might be the key player for Ship this year. While he doesn't have the offensive talent of Carter or Johnson, his combination of scoring, rebounding, and versatile defense is hard to replace. You're losing a guy who leads Division II in rebounding and I believe has 16 double-doubles this season. When Nedrow needs a blow or gets in foul trouble, Sleva often draws the other team's big. He usually gives away weight in those matchups, but is no pushover. I think Denzel Figueroa, the freshman who started in his place Saturday, will be a good player for Ship, but he's certainly not up to Sleva at this point and has a freshman's tendency to get out of control and draw fouls.

Shepherd is a big rivalry game. Ship barely beat them at Ship (was probably lucky to do so) and the Raiders had matchup problems with them even before Sleva was hurt. I'm not optimistic about the trip to Shepherdstown.

Even if Sleva can play next Monday, I'd pretty much written off the Raiders for the NCAAs some time ago. This has just been one of those years they haven't been able to win most of the close ones. Two literally last--second losses to Millersville, a one-point OT loss to Fairmont State and single-digit losses to Virginia Union and Virginia State told the tale. Win 2-3 of them and they definitely would be in the tournament hunt. And there's no way, especially if Sleva is less than 100 percent, that they get through ESU, Millersville, IUP, Mercyhurst, etc., to win the PSAC title this year Not the way I wanted to see things end for this group of seniors, but this has been an unusual season. Hope they prove me wrong and win a game or two this week, but it's going to take a super effort from the underclassmen on the team.

Saturday was kind of a condensed version of where the team is heading when the four seniors and graduates are history. This will probably be Chris Fite's most crucial recruiting job since his first year at Ship, when he was left with an empty cupboard and went 3-23. He'll be looking for big guys — probably will be trying for a couple of transfers as you wouldn't want to be replacing Carter, Johnson, Sleva, and Nedrow with four freshmen.

Comment

• I don't see them getting through the meat-grinder that will be the PSAC tournament.

I do see them getting through this week unscathed, frankly. I thought Bloomsburg played its best game Saturday. And I thought Figueroa's performance was more impressive than that. He made some money plays.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X