Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• See it all the time.

At the KCAC in particular (as I see most games there for reference in this discussion), what I see happen time after time is the refs will go bonkers in the first half with the whistles.

By halftime, they are exhausted of hearing the crowd harp on them, Joe harp on them and also the visiting coach. The KCAC doesn't have a 'press row' across from the benches, so the crowd there is basically on the floor. There's no hiding. California, as an example, has a press table on both sides of the court. So, the crowd has a decent little buffer zone to the floor. Gannon is another one that Row 1 across from the benches is basically about 24" off the court.

By the second half, they are usually spent and just let the game flow. Of course, the contrast is they start ignoring some really obvious stuff.

IUP's game at Lock Haven was a prime example. They let them play football in the first half. In the second half, they called every little thing. It's maddening for the coaches and players -- and very annoying for the fans (the drastic switch at halftime).

Comment

• The crowd at Pucillo was just small enough Saturday that you could catch some of the players' feedback to officials. And there was a lot of, "You didn't call that early; why are you calling it now?"

Comment

• Originally posted by jrshooter View Post
        The crowd at Pucillo was just small enough Saturday that you could catch some of the players' feedback to officials. And there was a lot of, "You didn't call that early; why are you calling it now?"
        Yeah, I wasn't present at the game, but a lot of the first half looked like a war. Nedrow is not a small kid, so when someone is physically moving him around the court it's pretty certain that some contact is going on. The shooting fell off for both teams in the second half, and it wouldn't surprise me if that was at least partially attributable to the physical nature of the game.

Comment

• Forgot to mention on here the other day ... I thought the play-by-play man at Lock Haven was fantastic. He was prepared, knew how to pronounce names of the visiting team and also knew a lot about the visiting team. It also wasn't a one-sided viewpoint for 40 minutes. He worked alone, too.

He sounded like a student but did a very good job. I mute most of the games after about 3 minutes but left that one on for the entirety.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
            Forgot to mention on here the other day ... I thought the play-by-play man at Lock Haven was fantastic. He was prepared, knew how to pronounce names of the visiting team and also knew a lot about the visiting team. It also wasn't a one-sided viewpoint for 40 minutes. He worked alone, too.

He sounded like a student but did a very good job. I mute most of the games after about 3 minutes but left that one on for the entirety.
            I like to hear that. It's really great when a well-prepared student steps up and does a quality job. Looks very good for the school.

I thought the Mercyhurst kid did a really nice job on the game when WLU's women played there. Clarion was a lot tougher to listen to when our women played there.

In our league, I think the Charleston and Glenville folks do a nice job, but I believe they hire professional adults (so it makes sense that they do a nice job).

I might be partial (because I may not be tuned in to any homerisms that might leak out), but I think the WLU student broadcaster, Isaac, does a very nice job on our feed as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post

I like to hear that. It's really great when a well-prepared student steps up and does a quality job. Looks very good for the school.

I thought the Mercyhurst kid did a really nice job on the game when WLU's women played there. Clarion was a lot tougher to listen to when our women played there.

In our league, I think the Charleston and Glenville folks do a nice job, but I believe they hire professional adults (so it makes sense that they do a nice job).

I might be partial (because I may not be tuned in to any homerisms that might leak out), but I think the WLU student broadcaster, Isaac, does a very nice job on our feed as well.

IUP still uses students for the video broadcast. I get it. But, they also have a legend on the radio broadcast in Jack Benedict (who has covered IUP sports for 50 years).

I don't expect the broadcasts to have Al Michaels on play by play. But, they need to do the basics -- names, little bit of background, etc. And, sure, some homerism is expected. But, we have a few schools whose broadcasters actually cheer for the home team as if they are in the student sections. That leads to the mute button pretty quickly.

Now, the UPJ broadcast is so off the charts terrible that you have to leave it on. It's more entertaining than the game. They usually have no idea whom they are actually playing. Every name gets butchered to the point I think they do it on purpose. No background about the game, etc. It's a riot. And, they literally cheer and scream on the air.

Comment

• Shippensburg 85, Mansfield 81. Not exactly a ringing endorsement against a 1-13 ballclub.

Raiders led 75-58 with 2:49 left, then did everything possible to let this slip away. It's topped off by Biss fouling Marcus Friend on a desperation 3-pointer with one second left. Friend could have sent it to OT with three free throws; he missed the second,

One good thing for Ship was Rashon Johnson
                ????with a 29-point, 11-rebound night.

Justice Smith had 28 for Mansfield, one of those clubs which is better on paper than 1-13 but just doesn't quite know how to win. You know there's some talent there when Idris Ali, who I thought was one of the state's better HS guards last year with Loyalsock, is coming off the bench.
                Last edited by jrshooter; 01-12-2022, 09:40 PM.

Comment

• Lock Haven beats Kutztown by a bucket, 71-69.

No Moe Williams, again, for the Golden Bears. Nice win for LH. KU is on life support.

Comment

• Originally posted by jrshooter View Post
                    Shippensburg 85, Mansfield 81. Not exactly a ringing endorsement against a 1-13 ballclub.

Raiders led 75-58 with 2:49 left, then did everything possible to let this slip away. It's topped off by Biss fouling Marcus Friend on a desperation 3-pointer with one second left. Friend could have sent it to OT with three free throws; he missed the second,

One good thing for Ship was Rashon Johnson
                    ????with a 29-point, 11-rebound night.

Justice Smith had 28 for Mansfield, one of those clubs which is better on paper than 1-13 but just doesn't quite know how to win. You know there's some talent there when Idris Ali, who I thought was one of the state's better HS guards last year with Loyalsock, is coming off the bench.
                    Yup, we'll take a long ride up to Mansfield and grab an easy win before East Stroud comes in Saturday. But wait. . . . They're college kids and this stuff happens. It certainly gives Fite something to talk about the next couple of days.

Comment

• ESU had a rough shooting night in a 76-70 loss to Millersville. The REAL story though was that Millersville's top 2 scorers sat on the bench for most of the 2nd half after getting into foul trouble. James Sullivan and Caden Njdawi took over and each scored 22 points to lead the Marauders in the win. In other news, Casey Stitzel was actually not going crazy on the sidelines for the whole game.

Comment

Forgot to mention on here the other day ... I thought the play-by-play man at Lock Haven was fantastic. He was prepared, knew how to pronounce names of the visiting team and also knew a lot about the visiting team. It also wasn't a one-sided viewpoint for 40 minutes. He worked alone, too.

His name is Sam Kuperman, and he is a professional, not a student. Students can often do silly things like run hurtful messages on scoreboards, and we all know that should NEVER happen...
                        Last edited by WarriorVoice; 01-13-2022, 08:25 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post
                          ESU had a rough shooting night in a 76-70 loss to Millersville. The REAL story though was that Millersville's top 2 scorers sat on the bench for most of the 2nd half after getting into foul trouble. James Sullivan and Caden Njdawi took over and each scored 22 points to lead the Marauders in the win. In other news, Casey Stitzel was actually not going crazy on the sidelines for the whole game.
                          Njdawi was their best player on the court against Shippensburg. If the refs allow physical play, he can take over underneath. The loss makes Saturday's game a bigger one for East Stroudsburg, but I don't think Fite will have trouble getting his players' attention after they almost frittered away a game to Mansfield on Wednesday. Should be an interesting one. I don't think I've seen a season where PSAC games are harder to predict than this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Njdawi was their best player on the court against Shippensburg. If the refs allow physical play, he can take over underneath. The loss makes Saturday's game a bigger one for East Stroudsburg, but I don't think Fite will have trouble getting his players' attention after they almost frittered away a game to Mansfield on Wednesday. Should be an interesting one. I don't think I've seen a season where PSAC games are harder to predict than this year.
                            Ship wins Saturday ... they can blow open that East race.

Comment

Ship wins Saturday ... they can blow open that East race.
                              Ship-East Stroud games are totally unpredictable since Fite has been there. They seem to trade wins. If ESU gets hot offensively they can run anyone out of the building as Mercyhurst found out. The key for Ship will be avoiding early foul trouble to Hardy and Biss because you don't want to end up with freshmen guards going against the ESU press. Of course the loss to ESU Shippensburg fans will sadly remember for a while is when they kept us out of the Elite Eight a few years back after Ship had blown out the top two seeds in the region.

Comment

• I just wonder if there is going to be any hangover from the way Ship closed last night. When a team lays 23 points on you in 2 1/2 minutes, it might leave some scars.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X